Hey Everyone

I recently purchased a new 2019 LTZ 4x4- 5.3L. On the truck, I changed the tires at the dealer to Wrangler Duratrac (all terrain) and they also installed a leveling kit. 

I have had the truck only a few weeks with now 500 miles on it. 

My my concern is that I’m barely getting 12-13mpg in city and 16-17mpg on highway. I’ve been told that the truck needs to be broken in but that doesn’t seem to make sense relating to MPG performance. Is there something I’m missing, maybe the dealer needs to tune or do I just need more time with this truck ?

The tires and level kit will drop mpg a tad. The tires are likely heavier and you made the drag worse by lifting the front of the truck.

Your freeway speeds can also cause the MPG loss. Doing 75-80 won't get the same mpg as 65-70mph.

Have you done a hand calculation of the MPG when you fill up? Or are you just using the truck computer's readouts? 

My 5.3L 4x4 RST with 20" Trailrunner ATs has a lifetime average of 16.5mpg after 4300 miles. I feel that my MPG was actually better in the first 3500 miles than the last 1000. But my driving routes have changed some, with more being on 30-45mph streets with a LOT of stoplights. I usually average around 16-17mpg per tank now, and that's mostly "in town" driving. 

When I have longer highway runs, I push 20mpg always... doing about 75-80mph avg. 

The sweet spot with this truck/trans is 60-70mph. Many here report 22-25mpg average there. 

On 8/13/2019 at 10:08 PM, OkStateBass said:

Hey Everyone

I recently purchased a new 2019 LTZ 4x4- 5.3L. On the truck, I changed the tires at the dealer to Wrangler Duratrac (all terrain) and they also installed a leveling kit. 

I have had the truck only a few weeks with now 500 miles on it. 

My my concern is that I’m barely getting 12-13mpg in city and 16-17mpg on highway. I’ve been told that the truck needs to be broken in but that doesn’t seem to make sense relating to MPG performance. Is there something I’m missing, maybe the dealer needs to tune or do I just need more time with this truck ?

Are the tires taller than the stock ones? If so that will throw the speedo off and will also show a false lower mpg.

I have a 2019 at4 6.2. I had the crappy trail runner Goodyear 4 ply tires in 20inch. Got too many flats to care for. Just upgraded to duratrac 285/60r20 love them. Driven over 500 miles and haven’t really noticed much change in mpg. IMHO it’s a truck so I don’t really worry about fuel consumption. Bottom line is the duratrac are relatively quite for an aggressive tire and look good doing so. 

Lifetime is 14.4 with the 6.2. Mostly city and real short trips, ton of remote starts in winter and AC blasting all summer, some towing, 100% driving like a child. It’ll still easily do over 20 on the highway if the speeds are kept reasonable as others have said.

EF081014-BE58-44BF-A674-74FC97F6CB77.thumb.jpeg.71fbfe15f0bb6e0e7727c648d58b4ba9.jpeg

Your truck should get a little better, but you won’t ever confuse it for a Prius. And that’s a good thing.

• Like 1

4x4 LT 5.3 here with 6inch lift and 35’s. It will get better. I was getting 13-14 city and now with 4600 miles I’m seeing 16.8 around town.. highway I am getting 19-21 until I go over 70 then it gets worse than city 13-14.