2019 T1 Silverado 4Cyl Engine Problems

We sold a 2019 Silverado Crew cab with the New 2.7L 4Cyl Engine.  Customer has had problems since day one.  Cel light coming on, then Running rough, something with the TCM and Engine Harness as the issue.  Anybody else having  a problem with the 4 cyl engine. 

Wouldn't own a 4 cyl. in a full-size truck unless no there were absolutely no more V8's available.  In my wife's Encore yes.  Full-size truck?  Hell no... No place.  Couldn't get used to the Mini Cooper bumble bee buzz sound. 

Image result for i could've had a v8

• Like 2

I may be doing my research with blinders on but I believe this engine is generally receiving good reports.  I hope it succeeds and any bugs are gone when it comes time for me to buy!

It may well be a great engine.

But, I gotta have a V8 for a pickup. 

I'll ride a dang bicycle before I get a full size pickup with a 4 banger.

Nothin at all against 4 cylinder owners. 

Just how I personally feel about it.

Very happy Chevy is staying with the 5.3 V8

Actually, I really wish they would bring back the the 5.7 as an option too. That ole 350 was a runnin sonofagun

I can see it now new 5.7 9 speed lol

Edited by MacLaren
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, MacLaren said:

It may well be a great engine.

But, I gotta have a V8 for a pickup. 

I'll ride a dang bicycle before I get a full size pickup with a 4 banger.

Nothin at all against 4 cylinder owners. 

Just how I personally feel about it.

Very happy Chevy is staying with the 5.3 V8

Actually, I really wish they would bring back the the 5.7 as an option too. That ole 350 was a runnin sonofagun

I can see it now new 5.7 9 speed local dealers don't even carry them

The V8 was worth the extra bucks if only for the extra hp and trade in value, most dealers have to drop the price more on the fours. And dealer's around here don't have any in the lot......had to go out of State to get one to play with.  I'm not adverse to all 4 cyl designs but am to the tiny I4s which are inherently unbalanced and better designs requiring  kludges like counter balanced cranks in to remove wicked harmonics. Now if Chevy were to drop a 400+ hp range 5.3T pancake dual turbo 4cyl (like their smaller aspirated cousins in the old Corvair) priced lower than the V8, it might just get my interest.

1 hour ago, Thomcat said:

The V8 was worth the extra bucks if only for the extra hp and trade in value, most dealers have to drop the price more on the fours. And dealer's around here don't have any in the lot......had to go out of State to get one to play with.  I'm not adverse to all 4 cyl designs but am to the tiny I4s which are inherently unbalanced and better designs requiring  kludges like counter balanced cranks in to remove wicked harmonics. Now if Chevy were to drop a 400+ hp range 5.3T pancake dual turbo 4cyl (like their smaller aspirated cousins in the old Corvair) priced lower than the V8, it might just get my interest.

I'm just one of those ignorant people that just inherently like a V8 :)

you know? ?

I may not see all the angles with the 4 banger, and dont really care to be honest. 

I'll just stay with this V8 now...and in the future

dont get me wrong, if I need a car I'll gladly buy a 4 cylinder. But, for a full size truck, I prefer a V8

But....you know what they say???

Ignorance is BLISS.

Edited by MacLaren
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, MacLaren said:

I'm just one of those ignorant people that just inherently like a V8 :)

you know? ?

I may not see all the angles with the 4 banger, but somehow Ive yet to have to sue anyone....

I'll just stay with this V8 now...and in the future

dont get me wrong, if I need a car I'll gladly buy a 4 cylinder. But, for a full size truck, I prefer a V8

But....you know what they say???

Ignorance is BLISS.

You are absolutely correct in your defence of the V8.  I have understandings in my life that I choose to maintain even though I suspect that more knowledge may shake up such  beliefs.   IMO, our love for the V8 was entrenched in our minds at a time when automotive engines were much less efficient and  gas was less than a dollar a gallon.   My current V6 has double the horsepower and probably burns about 40% less fuel than the V8's of the 70's -90's.  The current V8's far exceed the power needed to safely operate these trucks but appeal to the fun aspect of  driving and to our egos. "Bigger is better".  Personally, I am excited about the prospect of buying a truck with the 2.7.  It has more power and is cheaper on gas than my current 4.3 that already meets or exceeds my needs!  I am finding that I enjoy more and more to challenge my old ways and beliefs and I encourage you and others to do the same.  Change is often good! 

Edited by Donstar
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Donstar said:

You are absolutely correct in your defence of the V8.  I have understandings in my life that I choose to maintain even though I suspect that more knowledge may shake up such a belief.  IMO, our love for the V8 was entrenched in our minds at a time when automotive engines were much less efficient and  gas was less than a dollar a gallon.   My current V6 has double the horsepower and probably burns about 40% less fuel than the V8's of the 70's -90's.  The current V8's far exceed the power needed to safely operate these trucks but appeal to the fun aspect of  driving and to our egos. "Bigger is better".  Personally, I am excited about the prospect of buying a truck with the 2.7.  It has more power and is cheaper on gas than my current 4.3 that already meets or exceeds my needs!  I am finding that I enjoy more and more to challenge my old ways and beliefs and I encourage you and others to do the same.  Change is often good! 

Lol, I hear ya. And, thank you.

I do think however, a lot of this is want vs need

However, if I were in business and needed a full size pickup to make a living, would I go with a 4 cylinder turbo over a tried and true V8?

I dont think so. One thing that does strike me though, is that imo, Toyota is a master of the the 4 cylinder engine. Yet, what do they put in the Tundra? And Toyoat takes a lot of pride in that big IForce V8.

But, I digress. I dont really know enough about it to go further. I just sees what I sees and knows what I knows :)

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Donstar said:

You are absolutely correct in your defence of the V8.  I have understandings in my life that I choose to maintain even though I suspect that more knowledge may shake up such  beliefs.   IMO, our love for the V8 was entrenched in our minds at a time when automotive engines were much less efficient and  gas was less than a dollar a gallon.   My current V6 has double the horsepower and probably burns about 40% less fuel than the V8's of the 70's -90's.  The current V8's far exceed the power needed to safely operate these trucks but appeal to the fun aspect of  driving and to our egos. "Bigger is better".  Personally, I am excited about the prospect of buying a truck with the 2.7.  It has more power and is cheaper on gas than my current 4.3 that already meets or exceeds my needs!  I am finding that I enjoy more and more to challenge my old ways and beliefs and I encourage you and others to do the same.  Change is often good! 

17 minutes ago, MacLaren said:

Lol, I hear ya. And, thank you.

I do think however, a lot of this is want vs need

However, if I were in business and needed a full size pickup to make a living, would I go with a 4 cylinder turbo over a tried and true V8?

I dont think so. One thing that does strike me though, is that imo, Toyota is a master of the the 4 cylinder engine. Yet, what do they put in the Tundra? And Toyoat takes a lot of pride in that big IForce V8.

But, I digress. I dont really know enough about it to go further. I just sees what I sees and knows what I knows :)

If I were going to buy a 2.7T, I would give them a couple years to work out the growing pains of a brand new engine. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Cpl_Punishment said:

If I were going to buy a 2.7T, I would give them a couple years to work out the growing pains of a brand new engine. 

There ya go.

If enough time and enough rave reviews come out, then who knows? Many may consider a 4 cylinder. 

I'm the one with the PIT5677 harness issue.

I deposited my settlement check from GM into the bank Monday from my out of court settlement over their refusal to replace the harness, only repair it. They are losing a lifelong GM customer over this - but I digress.

The engine harness pulls too tight over the cam cover, and there is a boss where one of the cam cover bolts goes which will rub through the harness and short it out. In the case of mine, it shorted out hard enough to blow the 400A fuse the first time - but not before backfeeding current through the TCM apparently. When it wasn't fixed right the first time by their TSB, it blew the fuse again and took out the ECM, starter motor, and something else. GM brought an engineer in who pointed out a second area, apparently not covered in the TSB, where mine had rubbed through. Instead of replacing the harness, the harness was spliced more and wrapped in more tape.

The 2.7 is a phenomenal engine, and quite frankly all of this "I have to have a V8 in a truck" is nothing but nonsense. It has more horsepower and torque than a previous generation 5.3. Those who refer to it as "kludgey" have no common sense about modern engine design, particularly when bringing up balance shafts as a demerit, and then go on to refer to one of the largest 4 cylinders on the market as a "small 4 cylinder".

The engine is not the letdown. The transmission mated to it is the work of Satan, and the lack of support from the manufacturer is disgusting.

23 minutes ago, MDSilveradoGuy said:

I'm the one with the PIT5677 harness issue.

I deposited my settlement check from GM into the bank Monday from my out of court settlement over their refusal to replace the harness, only repair it. They are losing a lifelong GM customer over this - but I digress.

The engine harness pulls too tight over the cam cover, and there is a boss where one of the cam cover bolts goes which will rub through the harness and short it out. In the case of mine, it shorted out hard enough to blow the 400A fuse the first time - but not before backfeeding current through the TCM apparently. When it wasn't fixed right the first time by their TSB, it blew the fuse again and took out the ECM, starter motor, and something else. GM brought an engineer in who pointed out a second area, apparently not covered in the TSB, where mine had rubbed through. Instead of replacing the harness, the harness was spliced more and wrapped in more tape.

The 2.7 is a phenomenal engine, and quite frankly all of this "I have to have a V8 in a truck" is nothing but nonsense. It has more horsepower and torque than a previous generation 5.3. Those who refer to it as "kludgey" have no common sense about modern engine design, particularly when bringing up balance shafts as a demerit, and then go on to refer to one of the largest 4 cylinders on the market as a "small 4 cylinder".

The engine is not the letdown. The transmission mated to it is the work of Satan, and the lack of support from the manufacturer is disgusting.

That engine with the 10 speed would be a sweet pairing I think. 

However call me old school, but I am in the same boat as many. No way i'd get a V4 in a truck.

I don't even like the fact that the V8 has AFM/DFM. Just give me a damn normal V8. 

You can have your 4 cylinders. I dont care how much power it makes... or feels like a V8. The sound of 4 cylinder is is terrible IMO. I hear ecoboost V6 trucks running around with aftermarket exhausts and they even sound out of place. 4 cylinder.... nope. ?? Every time I have driven a 4 cylinder car with a few thousand miles on it.. they rattle and vibrate and sound like heck.

Nope. Hahah.

• Like 1