2019 Silverado Trail Boss LT - First Oil Change?

Thanks, went with amsoil.  However, taking the truck into dealer for first and only free oil change.  After that, its amsoil and will change myself.  Is it me, or does anyone else feel this way - I simply do not trust oil change shops..  those guys stay pretty busy, so who is to say they didn't skip my oil change and say they did?

I want to know it actually got done, so why I have always done myself. 

Screenshot_20190827-064039_Gmail.jpg

• Like 2

10 hours ago, lord.kinbote said:

Thanks for replies.  Did you guys switch to synthetic or remain with conventional?

If no one has mentioned it yet, you cannot/should not run conventional oil in these trucks. go with AcDelco, Mobil 1, or Amsoil.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, went with amsoil.  However, taking the truck into dealer for first and only free oil change.  After that, its amsoil and will change myself.  Is it me, or does anyone else feel this way - I simply do not trust oil change shops..  those guys stay pretty busy, so who is to say they didn't skip my oil change and say they did?

Screenshot_20190827-064039_Gmail.thumb.jpg.8e11239a9e14868fd145260dae2e98ff.jpg

I totally agree with you. Doing the free change at the dealer. That’s it. I have always done my own servicing. Like you said I just don’t trust anyone plus I’m particular about my car. They always seem to scratch something. I even debated about not bringing it in for the free oil change but I have that vibration at idle and found the tsb on replacing motor mounts. So I want that corrected because it annoys the hell out of me at a stop light. Spend all this money and I can feel the engine vibrating. Come on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I looked at local GM dealers website and  most of the lube techs barely look old enough to drive. Keep in mind most are entry level jobs.  Very seldom do experienced techs do this kind on menial work.

2 hours ago, lord.kinbote said:

I stand there outside the bay and watch. 

2 hours ago, Bob2C said:

I totally agree with you. Doing the free change at the dealer. That’s it. I have always done my own servicing. Like you said I just don’t trust anyone plus I’m particular about my car. They always seem to scratch something. I even debated about not bringing it in for the free oil change but I have that vibration at idle and found the tsb on replacing motor mounts. So I want that corrected because it annoys the hell out of me at a stop light. Spend all this money and I can feel the engine vibrating. Come on

Yeah, I skipped the free one even. It's just easier and quicker for me to drive it up on a ramp and do it myself in the driveway than to schedule an appointment, drive to the dealer, and sit and wait for them to do it and have no idea what they've done, not done, what oil they actually used, etc. The most recent nightmare service story I've heard (of many) was from a friend of mine who recently took his 1 year old car in to the dealer for an oil change and somebody left a bunch of rags under the hood. A few days later he was out with his family on the interstate late at night and the rags got caught up in the serpentine belt, throwing it off, and stranding them in a basically brand new car.

• Thanks 1

Screenshot_20190827-064039_Gmail.thumb.jpg.8e11239a9e14868fd145260dae2e98ff.jpg

My mom worked for an auto recycler (like a copart). Lots of horror stories from jiffy lube places and them having to replace engines. Their business was pretty good and these companies helped keep them going for years

Ryan B.
  • Like 1

Yeah, I skipped the free one even. It's just easier and quicker for me to drive it up on a ramp and do it myself in the driveway than to schedule an appointment, drive to the dealer, and sit and wait for them to do it and have no idea what they've done, not done, what oil they actually used, etc. The most recent nightmare service story I've heard (of many) was from a friend of mine who recently took his 1 year old car in to the dealer for an oil change and somebody left a bunch of rags under the hood. A few days later he was out with his family on the interstate late at night and the rags got caught up in the serpentine belt, throwing it off, and stranding them in a basically brand new car.

The more I read these posts the more I’m rethinking the free oil change. When I bought my truck I traveled to NC from Virginia so after the drive home I decided to check the oil. Well the coolant reservoir cap was left off and sitting on the air cleaner box. Amazing how I didn’t lose it after a 6 hour drive. Then I noticed the transmission dip stick was not in all the along with the engine oil dipstick. I was soo pissed I fired off and email to the sales guy. All I get is “sorry”. Just makes me mad. I mean really. It’s not that hard.

• Like 1

First change was at 3500 miles. Oil still looked moderately clean and oil life monitor said I was at 20%.

Second oil change at 7000 miles oil still looked moderately clean and OLM was down to 10%. The OLM seems to accelerate its countdown once its been a year after oil change.

That was my 2 free oil changes. Will run Mobil 1 (have some I need to use) then possibly AMSOIL for future changes.

• Like 1

Ok, went ahead and changed mine with 2,500 miles and will change again at 5,000 miles.

After that, every 5,000 miles with tire change. 

All they had was the Mobil One Advanced Fuel Economy in 0W-20. Used an AC Delco filter as well. 

Lol, that oil looked brand new. 

But, I think a good thing overall. 

Btw, oil life was at 67% when I changed it. 

Edited by MacLaren
  • Like 1

Shell Rotella Gas Truck motor oil and Wix or NAPA Gold (made by Wix) oil filters here, changed ~ every 5000 miles, no matter what the Oil Life Monitor in the Driver Info Center says.  Whatever brand you use, just make sure it is Dexos-rated oil or equivalent.  Personally, I don't trust the new AC Delco e-core oil filters (the ones that end with an "E" on the filter number--I've heard too many horror stories of them coming apart).  

Edited by MaverickZ71
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, MaverickZ71 said:

Shell Rotella Gas Truck motor oil and Wix or NAPA Gold (made by Wix) oil filters here, changed ~ every 5000 miles, no matter what the Oil Life Monitor in the Driver Info Center says.  Whatever brand you use, just make sure it is Dexos-rated oil or equivalent.  Personally, I don't trust the new AC Delco e-core oil filters (the ones that end with an "E" on the filter number--I've heard too many horror stories of them coming apart).  

Oh man. Mine had an E at the end of the number.  Think I'll stick with NAPA Gold after is done. I'm gonna change in 2500 more miles anyways. Hope it lasts that long. I damn sure dont wanna be a horror story.

But, then again Chevrolet recommends the AC Delco oil filter correct?

Just sayin, because if something were to happen, I think I would be covered based upon that?

Edited by MacLaren