2019 Silverado Trail Boss LT - First Oil Change?

First oil change at 1000 miles using Mobil 1 and new filter. I like the changes on the 5.3l DFM, oil plug is now on the bottom rear and has a torx drive in the center of the drain plug, plus it is clear draining straight doen into the drain pan, no ricocheting off  body members as it drains. Oil filter adapter is recessed with a raised boss for easy insertion.

Took apart the filter and quite a few metal particles inside.

Edited by Thomcat
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Thomcat said:

First oil change at 1000 miles using Mobil 1 and new filter. I like the changes on the 5.3l DFM, oil plug is now on the bottom rear and has a torx drive in the center of the drain plug, plus it is clear draining straight doen into the drain pan, no ricocheting off  body members as it drains. Oil filter adapter is recessed with a raised boss for easy insertion.

Took apart the filter and quite a few metal particles inside.

Whenever the truck tells me to I change it. :)

750 for my first one. Changed the drain plug to a magnetic plug.

My Camaro I changed at 500 and 1500 per the break in guidelines.

Overkill maybe but cheap insurance

I will also be getting my oil analyzed this next change on both the car and truck. Mainly I want to see how the oil held up in the car especially doing some track events

Ryan B.

4 hours ago, lord.kinbote said:

When did you guys do your first oil change in the 2019 Silverado 1500?  I have read some here posting at 500 miles?!  I have a little over 2k on mine so far and was curious as I see 7.5k or 10k as the recommended.  Thanks

I changed mine at 500, and will do it again at 1500.  From that point on will be every 7500 miles.  I also changed the oil filter at 500 miles and use WIX Brand, Part Number  WL 10255XP.    WIX XP Filters are the best of the best imho. I've seen videos where they bi-sect the filters and it truly is an HD filter based on the gaskets, springs and screen.

I've always changed my new vehicles oil at first 500 and then 1500 miles, just based on personal belief that a new engine break-in has microscopic metal chipping.  Also, I made it a point to change up the RPMs and speeds in those first 500 miles.  I did a couple "WOT" and no cruise control with alot of easy, smooth driving in between.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, BobbyAlton said:

I changed mine at 500, and will do it again at 1500.  From that point on will be every 7500 miles.  I also changed the oil filter at 500 miles and use WIX Brand, Part Number  WL 10255XP.    WIX XP Filters are the best of the best imho. I've seen videos where they bi-sect the filters and it truly is an HD filter based on the gaskets, springs and screen.

I've always changed my new vehicles oil at first 500 and then 1500 miles, just based on personal belief that a new engine break-in has microscopic metal chipping.  Also, I made it a point to change up the RPMs and speeds in those first 500 miles.  I did a couple "WOT" and no cruise control with alot of easy, smooth driving in between.  

Make sure you're using a Wix oil filter with the right bypass pressure setting. At least one of the filters listed as being correct for the 2014+ GM V8's had an oil bypass pressure that was too low.