2020 1500 or 2500 help me decide!

So i've had 3 sierra 1500's since they came out in 2014

I have leased all 3 because

1. it's a tax write off for me

2. I drive the truck about 7500 miles a year

3. a lease payment is far less than a purchase and I can't justify the cost of a vehicle I rarely drive.

more on this later..

i am really looking forward to the upgrade, excited to get rid of the steering wheel that points 3 degrees to the left, lack of all the safety features, head up display (all my other vehicles have it)

rear cross traffic alert, camera system, the works!

If you can't tell i am laser focused on another Denali Ultimate

If i ordered one today it would be black on black with the red brembo upgraded brake package. standard bed with the 6.2L

(this go round i plan to cover up the majority of the nasty chrome that just corrodes during the winter months when they put the mag chloride on the roads.)

less chrome, the better, but if i downgrade to the SLT I for the MAX tow can't have the features i want

I was told by the dealer it would be possible to get the tow mirrors from the 2500

Which brings me to the next dilemma..

I currently have a 35 foot travel trailer that weighs about 8,000 lbs, we don't carry much in it so weight is no issue, or camp more than about 6 times a year and my Denali tows it perfectly!

however i am thinking about getting a shorter unit that weighs about 1,000 lbs less in a 5th wheel design. 6900 lbs

I just don't need or use all the trailer i have now.

We also have a small boat that we pull with the cadillac Xt-5 so when we go to the lake to camp we have to take 2 vehicles.

The new trailer i am looking at has a hitch on the back and the ability to tow up to 3,000 lbs and 300 lbs tongue weight. (perfect to pull the boat with)

the idea for the future is i would really like to be able to tandem tow the trailer and the boat so we don't have to take 2 vehicles.

it really frustrates me that you can't get the max tow package on the 1500 in a denali trim, this would get me from 9600 i think to almost 13k tow capacity. not ideal ill be right at max tow and possibly a little over but the boat has brakes and so does the camper. plus i don't need to travel very far with the rig.

to also give an example of how i tow, when i tow my camper i still manage 13 mpg because i drive in the slow lane at 65 mph or less

I plan to tandem tow the entire lot maybe 4 times a year just 40 miles away to the lake.

I am having a really hard time justifying the 2500 for these reasons.

1. I can't get the brakes and black gloss wheels i want, and i am hesitant to buy aftermarket unless i know they are rated for the loads ill be towing. (limited selection i am sure as well)

2. if i go with the 6.6 gas engine i get the crappy 6 speed trans, i want the 10 speed. and to spend another 10k for a duramax seems silly especially my limited use.

3. GM won't lease 2500 trucks

4. I don't like the fact the 2500 is higher off the ground, it's already hard enough loading my dirtbike or quad in the bed of a 1500

5. no matter which 2500 i get everything is slower and less mpg than the 1500 when unloaded.

On the plus side, if i went all out on a 2500 duramax it would be nice knowing i can tow just about anything i can imagine. admittedly as good as my 1500 tows this setup i know a 2500 would be more stable.

so in the end, i feel i have to spend more money for a truck that i won't like as much and costs more.

if i used it more often i could totally justify it. i think i can find a solution for the wheels and brakes in the aftermarket. 

I pay $618 a month on my lease now for my 2017 Denali Ultimate with 6.2

while i can afford any payment, I don't like the idea of making larger payments for a truck that sits in my garage 80% of the year.

so what to do?

thoughts?

I see your struggle.  I dont think I would consider a tandem tow with a 1500.  More to it than just trans and engine.  Totally different rear end and many other parts.  

Second, the 2500 towing mirrors will not fit the 1500.  They are specific to the 2500 and the modern mirrors have so many different version of electronics in them good luck making them all work if not from the factory.  

2500 and which is up to you. As much as I know the 1500 can handle it being over weight and tandem towing leaves you open to being caught pretty easily by highway patrol. Don't do that to yourself or others, get enough truck. 

Paint the wheels black and calipers red, the trucks will come with enough brakes. You are hesitant to add the 10k engine but will upgrade to useless brakes for 1/4 of that price that you won't get back? Atleast with the duramax you will save on gas mileage and resale value. Not sure why the 6 speed is an issues, it is a great reliable transmission, unless you really want to say you have 10 speeds? In which case the duramax comes with that. 

Either continue with the couple times a year using two vehicles for that short distance and get the 1500 ultimate or buy enough truck and get the 2500 and use one, either way it is your decision. To me it sounds like getting the 1500 and using the Caddy for the boat is the way to go... That way you have the truck you want and aren't over weight. 

Tyler

If you want to tow tandem, no way I would do that with any 1500 (brakes). You should be able to stop whatever you are towing going down hill with only the truck brakes (if trailer brakes fail). 2500/3500s are also a lot more stable towing.

While a light 5th wheel may seem within the tow limits you will likely exceed the weight carrying capacity of the 1500 due to pin weight. With a 5th wheel you will have around 20% to 25% of the trailer weight on the 5th wheel hitch. You will also need a 6.5' bed to safely tow a 5th wheel. I have popped the rear window out of a truck backing a 5th wheel and it's loud and a mess (thought I could get away without using the slide on the hitch). I just went from a 2500 High Country Diesel to a 1500 Denali because we sold our 5th wheel.

You can actually get a better deal on a 3500 SRW that a 2500 with the same trim level.

Jay

1 hour ago, Jay P said:

If you want to tow tandem, no way I would do that with any 1500 (brakes). You should be able to stop whatever you are towing going down hill with only the truck brakes (if trailer brakes fail). 2500/3500s are also a lot more stable towing.

While a light 5th wheel may seem within the tow limits you will likely exceed the weight carrying capacity of the 1500 due to pin weight. With a 5th wheel you will have around 20% to 25% of the trailer weight on the 5th wheel hitch. You will also need a 6.5' bed to safely tow a 5th wheel. I have popped the rear window out of a truck backing a 5th wheel and it's loud and a mess (thought I could get away without using the slide on the hitch). I just went from a 2500 High Country Diesel to a 1500 Denali because we sold our 5th wheel.

You can actually get a better deal on a 3500 SRW that a 2500 with the same trim level.

Jay

Was just going to say 5th wheel is at least the 6.5' bed, I'd rather just have an 8'.  My friend went 1/2 ton CC SB to 3/4 ton CC 6.5' bed to 1 ton srw CC long bed.  He regrets not going 1 ton sooner, just tows so much better.

I have had very similar experience on several levels. First, I have a 32’ TT that when loaded can top 8k lbs. I have towed it with a 1500, a 2500 gasser, 2500 diesel and a Yukon XL with max tow package. While technically within its capabilities the towing experience with the 1500 was to me at least - awful. The 2500 diesel - sublime. The Yukon (because it’s a heavier vehicle I think) handled it better than the 1500 pickup. I am currently driving a 2020 Yukon XL with max tow and have towed the TT no problem. However, I can’t wait for my 2020 2500 Denali diesel to arrive. If money is not a concern get yourself a diesel 2500 for towing heavy things - I promise you will not regret it. It sounds like you can get whatever you want so if you want something else to drive - get that too! :)

My vote is keep your current truck and wait a year or two until GM puts the 10 speed behind the gas 6.6.

I wanted a Denali but wanted max tow more. Bought my 2018 6.2l crew 6.6’ bed and love it. Only options I don’t have vs Denali is front Denali grill, 1 way lumbar vs 2 way and no Denali cluster.

I added the Denali cluster with custom programming from vendors on this site. That’s what I was really missing from Denali package. It costs $500 - $700 to do the Denali cluster swap but it’s something I see every time I drive the truck and don’t regret it.

Only reason I would trade my 2018 for new body style is the HD AT4 with 6.6 gas and 10 speed (when avail).

I like the 3.0l Duramax half ton but it’s rated at 9600? Lbs towing.

Of course I like the 6.6l Duramax but my enclosed trailer is only 4K loaded so unless I get a trailer near 10k I don’t need the Duramax.