In market. Help me decide.

Hi all.  I've got a 2014 GMC z71 SLT 5.3, 3.42 with 71k miles.  I test drove a 2019 with 6.2 and max trailer package and it gave me an itch for that power.  I pull a 6k lb RV and my 5.3 does the job but with a lot of grunting. It has a diablo tune on it tho and it gets great mpg.  I can do 22 unloaded and 12 with camper (per DIC at least).  

Anyway I do like my current truck and it's fine.  But I've been offered a deal on a $59k 2019 LTZ with 6.2 max tow for $26.9k driveout after trade.  I had a deal on a lesser equipped GMC for $23k driveout but I did not like it.  Too much chrome and i hate that gimmicky tailgate.  It hits your trailer ball if u have one and I always have one on.  This place giving me 28.5k trade which is unbelievable. 

Soooooo my dillemma-  this seems like a good deal.  It also seems foolish.  I almost wanna wait till 21 but then my wife will need one soon thereafter and I don't want overlapping payments. Also the longer I wait the less my truck is worth, but the more I'll have saved in the bank (kept up a new car savings after we ended payments)

Is the 2019 worth it? I love the exterior.  I dont think the interior is as good as the 2014 I have.  They lost so many door pockets and other storage.  I do like the slightly bigger backseat and the rear AC tho.  That 6.2 calls to me.  But the thought of that 2021 tundra v6 turbo hybrid has me really intrigued.   I also test drove a ram which totally spanks GM on interior quality.  But the it reeks of low overall quality.  When the started it up it sounded like it then timing was off.  Tick tick tick. And their exterior is horridly bland now.  Ford isn't even an option. I would even go nissan before ford.  

Also what is up with the new tire sizes.  The LTZ has 20s on it that are 275/60/20.  This is a 33" tire.   The trailboss though is running 32" tires on 18" rims.  That seems wierd.  I plan to do a level at least, maybe the rough country 3" lift and would keep the 33" size to maintain my towing power 

Any thoughts are appreciated.  Thanks

Edited by TexasGMCZ71

Wow - you opened a big can of worms. I will give you my 2cents. I am 67 and been driving 1/2 tons Chevys since 1974. I had 1 3/4 ton ford in 1992 for 2 years for a company truck. If you Tow a lot the 6.2 10 speed is nice but comes on trims with chrome and a higher price tag.

I Tow a 6000lb Jayco 250 miles to my deer lease and back each year. I test drove several trucks and honestly did not feel much difference between the 5.3 and 6.2.

The 6.2 requires premium fuel so keep that in mind.

I had 194,000 miles on my 2011 5.3 with 6 speed and it pulled my trailer fine. I live in Texas and tow on pretty flat roads.

i think the 5.3 with 8 speed is a great combination and I have had no problems with the 8 speed. It has been smooth from day 1. 

I ordered the RST z71 with standard bed. You can buy some Bilstein 5100 or Eibach Pro Truck Shocks and raise the front to give you the level if you want. My truck only has 1” of rake and I am going to leave it stock so when I Tow or carry a heavy load it will be pretty much level.

As far as wheels, I prefer 18’s but the 2019’s look better with 20” wheels. I changed tires on day 1 to the 275/60r20 KO2’s and live then. They are D load rated so plenty for your trailer.

I would at least go drive the 5.3/8 speed as the discounts on 2019’s are great. You should get at least 20% off Sticker on a 2019. Whatever you decide you will love the 2019 and I like the interior just fine. You get a lot of truck with the z71 package and convenience II package with buckets, Bose, spray in bed liner, fog lights, wheel liners, etc.

Good luck and let us know what you buy!

• Like 1

Thanks. I'm in Texas as well.  I'm 42, live between Houston and Galveston have 6000lb RV.  The terrain here is benign.  Winds are hell tho.  What sucks is that we have to pull RV across houston no matter where we go.  Houston sucks with having more get up and go. I pulled the RV with a loaner with a 6.2 10-speed and was impressed how effortless it was to accelerate.  We usually camp in the hill country too. It pulls okay with the 5.3 but its not award winning by any means.  If the Ford wasnt a ford that turbo V6 would be awesome.  But the overheat all the time I hear.  

I guess I'm just struggling because i dont NEED it right now.  I kinda want it but feel guilty for doing it.  But I'm catholic so we feel guilty about everything....

Then wait until the time is right. If you maintain your truck it will be an easy sell. I sold my 2011 with 194,000 miles for $10,000. Maybe set a goal and stick $100/month in a coffee can for 2 years and order a 2021? Good luck and enjoy the fall if it ever gets here.

May want to wait until this time next year?.

The 2020's have a re-tuned suspension (supposedly better ride), adaptive cruse control, 6.2L is available on more trims. Compared to the 2019's.

2021 is rumored interior redesign. Rumor - take with a grain of salt. 

The 6.2 / 10 speed is the deal maker isn’t it? Man, I love this powertrain and I couldn’t resist trading my 2016 for one. Life is short and you should drive whatever makes you happy!

But...the logical/ buzz kill side of me would also say that if you’re not 100% ready and happy with virtually every detail of the truck, wait it out a year or two. What you don’t want to do is be one of the dummies on here who traded their K2 and can’t stop complaining about a sunglasses holder and / or power pedals.

If you wanna save a little money, then the 2019 LT Z71 is a helluva good way to go imo.

Got mine for $38,750

That's a lot of pickup for under $40k!

And, like the other gentleman stated, the 5.3 and 8 speed tranny are just very nice. 

My last tank I went 494 miles before filling up, and got 22.5 mpg. And, that was all 2 lane country highway with the AC on. 

Just my 2 pennies worth for ya. 

Hope this helps and good luck!

Despite my distrust for Chevy as a brand, I love their trucks. Had a 2015, 2018 and now 2019 after a short run with a lemon 2019 Tacoma, yeah go figure, a Toyota truck was my lemon lol. The 2019 Silverado has a lot of little electrical gremlins. I'd get a 2020 at least so you can have all of the TSB's applied. I couldn't wait even 2 more months to get out of what I had so 2019 it was. That said, my 2019 at 700 miles has already spent half it's life towing and hauling, rides like a dream and despite the small first year issues "thank the lord I haven't had any of the larger ones...... yet....." I still love this truck. 

The 6.2 is just butter on the biscuit, all 3 of mine have been 5.3s and they get the job done just fine but that 6.2 is a blast, my uncle has one. I don't think it would make or break any job I wanted to get done but damn it puts a smile on your face.

If you can will till 2021 you will probably end up with an even better truck for the same money but that is literally with anything these days. Buy what you want when you want it and enjoy it. There is always going to be something better around the corner.

Thank for the I sight guys.  I've been thinking all day and decided to do it.   I'll have it paid off in a couple years and if its not right for me then I'll trade it.  I think I'm gonna like it.  Plus I took all my goodies odd my 14 already so no going back now!  

This is her.  Shes a beauty. Love that shadow grey.  Getting them to swap ltz rims with RST 20s. 

IMG_3402(1).jpg

• Like 10

OP, if you are like me and hate chrome, but max trailering and the 6.2L engine are a must, wait 6 to 8 months for a 2020 RST.

While the 2019 RST only offers the 5.3L engine and 8speed auto as its top engine, the GM Authority website said that the 6.2L and 10speed are coming to the RST in 2020.

So, if you can wait 6 to 8 months, you can get an RST with the 6.2 and Max trailering...