2014 5.3 fluid changes, Trans Concern.

2014 Sierra Denali 5.3 6 speed 6L80

124,000km ((77,000 miles) 

Changed front diff, rear diff, transfer case and sucked out 4.5 quarts of trans fluid and added fresh. Replaced with amsoil.

Trans smelt extremely burnt and was brown.    Didn’t expect it to be this bad as gm’s service interval is 100,000 miles. Don’t tow that often 1000 miles a year.

Plan on sucking out another 4.5 quarts in 3000km. (Not the best way to change but it’s the easiest sucking out the dip stick.) 

• Like 1

I'd really try to do a full drain and filter. I'll be honest, I didn't change mine like I planned to and I lost my trans at 165k on my 6spd. I towed often and really work the truck so maybe that has more to do with it, but going forward I'll be diligent and change mine out every 75k.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Changed front diff, rear diff, transfer case and sucked out 4.5 quarts of trans fluid and added fresh. Replaced with amsoil.

Trans smelt extremely burnt and was brown.    Didn’t expect it to be this bad as gm’s service interval is 100,000 miles. Don’t tow that often 1000 miles a year.

Plan on sucking out another 4.5 quarts in 3000km. (Not the best way to change but it’s the easiest sucking out the dip stick.) 

I would drop pan and clean it out, new filter and full fluid change you are wasting that good fluid and worst the trans. And it is $5,000 for a new one.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Dropping the pan and cleaning the metal off of the magnet along with a new filter is not that difficult and is the recommended way of doing it. At least I think that's right. You'll end up putting in around 7 quarts.

11 minutes ago, zsk said:

Dropping the pan and cleaning the metal off of the magnet along with a new filter is not that difficult and is the recommended way of doing it. At least I think that's right. You'll end up putting in around 7 quarts.

Yes I agree that is the best way. However still doesn’t get all the fluid out. Dropping pan will get 6-7 quarts out of 12 quart capacity. Just did this quickly as I wasn’t sure how bad it would look. 

28 minutes ago, 1SLOW1500 said:

I would drop pan and clean it out, new filter and full fluid change you are wasting that good fluid and worst the trans. And it is $5,000 for a new one.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Better way, (best in my opinion) but still not a full fluid change. You will get 6-7 quarts out of a 12 quart capacity.

37 minutes ago, brendon444 said:

Brendon, not sure how much weight you're towing, but even only at 1000 miles a year I think I would stick to the recommended SEVERE DUTY service intervals, especially given the condition of your original transmission fluid. Do you have the factory tow package with an auxiliary transmission cooler?  If not, I would invest in one.

16 minutes ago, garagerog said:

Brendon, not sure how much weight you're towing, but even only at 1000 miles a year I think I would stick to the recommended SEVERE DUTY service intervals, especially given the condition of your original transmission fluid. Do you have the factory tow package with an auxiliary transmission cooler?  If not, I would invest in one.

Yes I will be changing the fluid more often if I keep the truck much longer.

Towing: 4000lbs trailer, 9000lbs and 5500lbs trailer is what I have. 

Has the aux. trans cooler. 

All good suggestions above.  To me changing out the transmission fluid every 50k is a good idea.  Not like it is expensive since most don't put that many miles on their truck in a short time. Considering what a new transmission cost a few dollars for fluid and a filter every 50k seems reasonable. 

Speaking of which, I have to get my 2002 changed out and our 2016 Suburban done as well.  Looks like I will be busy the next day or so.

• Like 1

One thing i would advise against is getting a trans flush at anything above 75k in miles regardless of how well you think you have taken care of it. I had a fluid flush done once at higher mileage and within a week the trans let go and needed to be totally rebuilt. My friend also experienced the same situation of doing the recommended fluid flush which led to a trans rebuild. Drop the pan and change it the correct way by changing out the filter and getting out as much oil as possible. Imo those flushes do nothing but flush debris around the internals of the transmission and destroys it.

Just my experience and maybe the tech has improved but i will never trust a fluid flush process again.

Services intervals are written by marketing departments and have nothing to do with ultimate longevity, just to get out of warranty.  It's NOT in GM's best interest to not have their truck last, they make money off it breaking.  I've never once followed a factory service interval, I follow my own and have never had a breakdown or hard failure in almost a million combined miles.

Buy/build a pan with a drain plug and you won't have to deal with the virtually worthless dipstick-suck method.  You'll be surprised how much gunk is waiting for you in the pan.

Edited by dukedkt442
  • Like 1