Just happened to my truck for the second time @ 1863 miles. Hit button crank no start then starts second try. I am glad I caught this happening on my ring camera good evidence for my buy back arbitration.

Hello Everyone, I hope this helps as my issue was repaired.

It was after reading these posts that I finally took my 2019 Silverado Trail Boss into service. Starting back in May of 2021 my Trail Boss at around 11,000 miles would fail to start without pressing the startup button 3-4 times in a row and pumping the gas. The truck would act as though it was going to start, the gauges would all cycle, then the truck would hesitate for a second then shut off. At this same time, my Check Engine Light started coming on as well.

What was different about my experience from any that I have read here, was the truck would consistently start EXCEPT immediately after refuelling. So basically I would go to gas up, then be stuck at the gas station trying to turn the vehichle on. In between fuelings, the truck never failed to start.

I took it to the dealer to be serviced and they fixed it, eventhough they said they had never heard of this kind of issue before. It has been 3 fuelings since I had the repair, and the truck has never hesitated to start.

According to the service receipt/work order, here is what they found:

Confirmed Customer Concern of Check Engine Light Is On. Scanned for codes and found in ECM: P0443-00 EVAP Purge solenoid valve control circuit, P0458-00 EVAP purge solendoid valve control circuit low voltage, monitored EVAP data with engine at idle and no control of functions and found Fuel Tank Pressure Sensore (FTPS) was reading -9.0 to -10.0 in H20 of Vacuum. Commanded EVAP system sealed and confirmed engine stalled due to excessive vacuum on system in excess of -15 in H20 immediately.

Disconnected purge solenoid vavle electrical connector and tested circuits, confirmed test lamp illuminated on voltage circuit. Found test lamp illuminated when connected to low reference or contro side of circuits from ECM, indicating short to ground on control circuit which will hold to purge valve open thus causing concerns.

Measured 12.7 ohms to ground on low ref control circuit, disconnected ECM connector X1 and found short to group was no longer present. Measured circuit end to end and measured .2 ohms and passing. Inspected harness and found no signs of damage to any wires, reconnected ECM and found short to ground returned. Confirmed concern is an internal short to ground on the purge valve control circuit. Recommend replacling Engine Control Modue (ECM) to correct concerns.

Replaced ECM as per diagnostics. Performed prepare control module. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

My father in law has a 2019 Sierra SLT w/ the 5.3L. It has been intermittently turning over repeatedly but not starting or starting anemically and sputtering for a split second before it dies. It seems starved for fuel. The CEL light comes on afterwards. Codes are P129F and U1346. Dealer couldn't recreate problem and said there were no codes. That's odd because my cheap OBD2 reader tells me those codes. 

Edited by jbr1888

I had this not starting issue where it continues to cycle and cycle and cycle. I would have to let the computer go to sleep (5 or so minutes) before it would start. This happened 5 times in the first 4700 miles. The first time it happened I had less than 100 miles on it as it was day 2 or 3 of owning it. It was seeming like it was going to be an every 1000 mile thing. When that first non start issue happened, I was sitting in a shopping center parking lot. I hit the Onstar button and was asking them to send a tow truck. They wanted the mileage so I had to insert the key and cycle the ignition to on. I decided to try to start the truck and well it started. I can't remember the computer having time to go to sleep for that occurrence. It took me till the third to discover that if it happens just lock the truck back up and wait 5 minutes.  

I currently have 6100 miles. It was happening every 1k miles but did not happen during the 5k range. I am hoping it is a done deal now but that is only a hope. I can say that around that same 4700 mile mark things just started smoothing out. The engine started to run smoother. The drivetrain did as well. I no longer have intermittent rough idle while sitting in park with the engine running. It basically felt like a different truck after 4700 miles. Again that was the same timeframe of the last non starting issue. 

I just experienced a no-start with my 2021 6.2 RST.  Got in, foot on the brake, pushed the button and it just cranked and cranked, no start.  Tried about 3 times then quit.  I removed the battery negative terminal for about 10 seconds, reconnected and it fired up just fine.  Only have about 1100 miles on my truck and this doesn't make me too happy.  Let's see what happens I guess.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/6/2021 at 3:04 PM, jbr1888 said:

My father in law has a 2019 Sierra SLT w/ the 5.3L. It has been intermittently turning over repeatedly but not starting or starting anemically and sputtering for a split second before it dies. It seems starved for fuel. The CEL light comes on afterwards. Codes are P129F and U1346. Dealer couldn't recreate problem and said there were no codes. That's odd because my cheap OBD2 reader tells me those codes. 

The dealer replaced the fuel control module, the problem hasn’t recurred in a few weeks. It was a daily event prior to that repair. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Same issue for me.. 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 RST.. (16K miles)  Second time this has happened to me. Truck motor spins, but will not fire. First time I let it set 15 mins.. then it started (that was about 6 weeks ago) . I am in the waiting time now .. hopefully it will start in a few mins. - This is frustrating... After the first time I took it into the dealership & they checked it.. no problems could be found. Both times it was after I had started it & drove it .. (has not happened on a first start of the day or cold start). It is -5deg this morning in Michigan, but truck was outside & started fine with remote start this morning. I will start tracking this issue.  

1 hour ago, 1997SierraSLT said:

Just thankful GM isn't a major player in the manufacturing of 1st responder vehicles.  

If they were, it would be like, "Sorry your grandma is dead, couldn't get the ambulance started"

I don't know where you live but in Texas most police vehicles are GM still. We do have a lot of Fords but GM trumps so it seems

"Sorry we couldn't save you from a rape/burglary, couldn't get the interceptor started"

Update: My truck started after a 15 min timeout ... no other issues today ... I’m going to track occurrences ... sad that I have to with a year old $50,000+ truck! Would love to get to the bottom of the issue.. 

• 2 weeks later...

New issue for me today. The truck started long enough to get it in drive & move forward about 10' then shut off. I tried it 4 times all with the same result .. I let it sit for 15 mins then it started & ran fine. I do have a check engine light on . and the remote start will not work .. but otherwise it seems to operative normal. I have scheduled a service appointment in 4 days.

I asked the dealer ship if they had heard of any of these problems .. "No" was the response .. So this issue happened 500 miles since my spin-but-no-start issue .. 3 weeks ago .