All Terrain tires

Are you guys adjusting the PSI for mileage purposes, or for ride quality?  I know that the label on the truck says 32F and 34R for the stock tires, but that sorta goes out the window when you get different tires that have a different carcass, etc...

I tend to run mine higher.  I run my Ridgegrapplers at 47psi cold, but those are an LT tire with 80PSI max.

These Wranger Ultraterrains have a max PSI of 51, so I have been running them at 38psi front and back cold.  I kinda prefer the extra ride height and firmer handling of a higher PSI, and was considering bumping it up...

Is there a general rule of thumb, where you don't want your cold pressure to exceed a certain percentage of your max PSI?

Are you guys adjusting the PSI for mileage purposes, or for ride quality?  I know that the label on the truck says 32F and 34R for the stock tires, but that sorta goes out the window when you get different tires that have a different carcass, etc...

I tend to run mine higher.  I run my Ridgegrapplers at 47psi cold, but those are an LT tire with 80PSI max.

These Wranger Ultraterrains have a max PSI of 51, so I have been running them at 38psi front and back cold.  I kinda prefer the extra ride height and firmer handling of a higher PSI, and was considering bumping it up...

Is there a general rule of thumb, where you don't want your cold pressure to exceed a certain percentage of your max PSI?

I’m running mine for ride quality and longevity. I believe 38-40 may be the sweet spot for my 285/60/20’s KO2’s. I’ve never run psi for mpg’s but have noticed a stopping & acceleration performance improvement switching from the Nitto Ridge Grapplers to the KO2’s. The KO2’s seem to have much less rolling resistance and cling to the road much better when compared to when I got the Nittos.

Sent from Above

For tire set #4 I went with the BFG ATs. I had these tires on my 04 Colorado and loved them then. I do a little off roading and get snow here so justified them that way. They are a good looking and performing tire. That's not to say there are not others out there that don't perform/appear as good. Just had good luck with these. I rotate, monitor my tire pressures, and check wear religiously so I know I'll get the miles out of them. Before these I had Nexen ATs. They were great tires too. 7bfad32677052ae8401207ebbda09f4a.jpg

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

You did good, what’s their psi sweet spot?

Sent from Above

On 12/22/2019 at 4:56 PM, madconcept said:

Made a few comments in another thread about tires and figured I’d post them here too.

Had the truck since mid October and so far my KO2’s have performed flawlessly!

Vancouver(BC) experienced a monsoon Thursday, literally pond size puddles on the freeway.  My truck plowed through them with hardly any hydroplaning at all.

About 13,000 km on them and I run them at 42 PSI.  Carry a cross box with a couple 100 pounds of tools on a daily bases and frequently haul lumber so figured I’d get the pressure up a bit(maybe I’m at the right mark?)

Haven’t had any snow or ice yet so we’ll see how they perform if we get any.  The heavy winter rains we get in Vancouver haven’t been a problem at all!

Anyone have experience using the DT labeled KO2’s?

I’ve read a few times that the mountain peak labeled KO2’s don’t last long.

Makes sense, as to get the snow rating I’m sure the rubber compound is softer.

I’d prefer to get a set of dedicated winters in a year or so just for better snow and ice performance on a cheap set of 17 or 18” rims and keep my 20” wheels in good shape.

Also see how much life I get out of these winter rated KO2’s.

So far if I had to buy new tires tomorrow I’d repeat with the KO2’s but maybe try the DT rated ones instead?

I have the winter rated KO2’s.  I have been pretty aggressive with rotations, and mine have 40k miles on them.  I may replace before next winter, but they got me through the first snow storms of this winter without any excitement.

1 hour ago, J-man67 said:

For my truck it's about 48-50lbs

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Mine like 48-50 as well. Any lower and the fronts wear on the outside.  Mine are Lt275-55-20 D rating on 14 Sierra.

I went with the General A/TX. Top rated on tire rack (but depends on what you need out of the tire) and I have had good luck with Generals in the past. I am running 40 psi rear and 42 psi front. 

A7A46EF1-F1F2-475C-89BB-B6CE08EC3DC4.jpeg

https://m.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=ORAT&width=275%2F&ratio=60&diameter=20&tireSearch=true&filter=y&autoMake=GMC&autoYear=2019&autoModel=Sierra+1500+4WD&autoModClar=Crew+Cab

632E50C9-38C8-4BD7-82DA-F1C4E69954C4.jpeg

Edited by EXSlider400
  • Like 1

GY Wrangler UltraTerrain AT in 275/60r20, same size as came on the truck...

IMG_0374.thumb.JPG.274cfa8ad9f87690caf22b4aaddb86f7.JPG

IMG_0373.thumb.JPG.4fd3bff5dfcd58537793efa3ddde29db.JPG

IMG_0375.thumb.JPG.466646b581b0b5975f90913188fa3b67.JPG

I saw those at Discount Tire a couple visits back, you really need to do a review on them, how do you like them so far, happy with them?? I’m sure just about anything is better than the stock oem tires.

Sent from Above

1 minute ago, TXGREEK said:

I saw those at Discount Tire a couple visits back, you really need to do a review on them, how do you like them so far, happy with them?? I’m sure just about anything is better than the stock oem tires.

Sent from Above

Yeah, I like them so far.  Not a lot of noise, they handle great in dry and in the wet so far... We rarely get snow in GA so not sure when I will get to try that out...  Hope to get onto some muddy trails soon.  The tread looks aggressive enough and is similar to a Duratrac in that department, so I would expect it to do pretty well off road.

The stockers were the Wranger TrailRunner AT which isn't a bad tire, except that the OEM version that GM uses is NOT the same tread depth as the off the shelf version...  Else, I would have kept those for awhile.

But the tread depth stock was like 10mm at best, and so I went to Discount Tire like 5 days after I got my new truck.  They gave me credit for those tires, so the new UltraTerrains installed and balanced came to just under $800 with taxes and fees...

• Like 1

Yeah, I like them so far.  Not a lot of noise, they handle great in dry and in the wet so far... We rarely get snow in GA so not sure when I will get to try that out...  Hope to get onto some muddy trails soon.  The tread looks aggressive enough and is similar to a Duratrac in that department, so I would expect it to do pretty well off road.

The stockers were the Wranger TrailRunner AT which isn't a bad tire, except that the OEM version that GM uses is NOT the same tread depth as the off the shelf version...  Else, I would have kept those for awhile.

But the tread depth stock was like 10mm at best, and so I went to Discount Tire like 5 days after I got my new truck.  They gave me credit for those tires, so the new UltraTerrains installed and balanced came to just under $800 with taxes and fees...

That’s a great price, I’d avoid the mud as long as you can, it’s fun getting them dirty but horrible getting it out from every crack and crevice, especially with upgraded suspension. Mine was double that cost and ZERO interest getting into mud. I hog hunt often and though the previous Nitto Ridge Grapplers did ok in wet grass and shallow mud, after just one time cleaning my truck, it’s 4wheelers from there on out. Btw, you’ve got a good looking truck, congrats!

Sent from Above