All Terrain tires

1 hour ago, TXGREEK said:

That’s a great price, I’d avoid the mud as long as you can, it’s fun getting them dirty but horrible getting it out from every crack and crevice, especially with upgraded suspension. Mine was double that cost and ZERO interest getting into mud. I hog hunt often and though the previous Nitto Ridge Grapplers did ok in wet grass and shallow mud, after just one time cleaning my truck, it’s 4wheelers from there on out. Btw, you’ve got a good looking truck, congrats!

Sent from Above

Meh, I have a pressure washer for the ATV's so that's ok.  I know the mud gets everywhere, but that's just part of having a truck!

• Like 1

had probably 5 or 6 stes of offroad tires and cant ever remember running any of em below 40 PSI.....my stock silverados are at 32 which seems too "squishy" to me but they are radials with nitrogen so just haven't got to a place to fill em up a bit....in colder climate you should be able to get away with lil higher PSI as heat isn't as much a factor..... summer is different story

my BFG's I ran about 45-50 psi normally, and I wasn't super anal about it so, just know I ran em at that and seemed fine....if I was serious at offroading I probably would have been and dialed em in dependent on terrain....just ran em on dirt roads, trails, and hwy...

Edited by Dunn

• 3 weeks later...

Experiencing a bit of vancouver snow now and have to say my BFG KO2’s are performing extremely well!

A trip up the local ski hill yesterday went well too with plenty of snow on the roads.

I dare say they’re performing almost as good as the dedicated winters I had on my last truck!

They have about 14,000 km on them so I’m sure as they get some wear on them maybe the performance will deteriorate?

Edited by madconcept
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Started a topic about P rated vs LT too.

Love the way the 275/65R20 fill the wheel well but the E rated BFG sure makes for a rough ride.

Probably consider going down to a 275/60R20 next time just to make the ride a bit more comfortable as you’re able to get a P rated tire at that size.

Who knows maybe there will be more options in a couple years in the 275/65 size?

• Like 1

to think we used to do this just so we could hear the tires humm on the road and liked the tougher tire to guard against flats 75 miles from nowhere....we threw on BFG's, MT, or DC and ran them...

• Like 1

On 12/28/2019 at 6:28 PM, jimmyboy8301 said:

I’ve had Goodyear, BF Goodrich, Toyo, Cooper, Nitto, and Toyo. IMO the Toyo AT2s are the best all around AT hands down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would concur!

• Like 1

I’ve also heard good and bad things about the Toyos AT2’s but I’ve had such bad luck with two Nittos that I’m prejudice towards Nitto and his stepsister Toyo. To this day I’ve never had one bad thing to say about BFG’s KO’s or KO2’s.
My main concern is “SIPING” and not the first 10K mile break in cause most tires are pretty much good inside that then cones the harder compound which is for longevity versus traction. I’ve run two separate sets of Ridge Grapplers and both

I jumped on the “Hype Wagon too” Both sets were slipping on wet paint like as if the wet paint was grease and both sets had their siping wear out inside 15k miles, scared the crap out of me one afternoon, drove up to Discount Tire and they were shocked too at how the siping was disappearing at just 15k miles. Deep siping is where it’s at for me and I’m a BFG guy for life. Btw, the KO2’s have literally NO slipping on the wet paint in the parking lot.

Nitto Ridge Grapplers new
c462a5303b8b9415c1055a8891605315.jpg

Nitto Ridge Grapplers at 15k miles “looks like siping was an afterthought with these tires”
2e21147be190cfce74ed12d6baff884d.jpg

But not with the KO2’s, their siping runs straight through the lugs [emoji1303]
0528b6c68d4367d5df3be5a533acc0a4.jpg

There’s just so much more that goes into making a Tire than looks, chemicals used is #1 in the KO2’s.

Sent from Above

• Like 2

I had Toyo RT's on my F250 and loved them, but I will admit they they did spin a bit when the roads were wet after I got some miles on them.  

I always just assumed it was because the truck had nearly 1000ft/lb of torque. 

• Like 1

I’ve also heard good and bad things about the Toyos AT2’s but I’ve had such bad luck with two Nittos that I’m prejudice towards Nitto and his stepsister Toyo. To this day I’ve never had one bad thing to say about BFG’s KO’s or KO2’s.
My main concern is “SIPING” and not the first 10K mile break in cause most tires are pretty much good inside that then cones the harder compound which is for longevity versus traction. I’ve run two separate sets of Ridge Grapplers and both

I jumped on the “Hype Wagon too” Both sets were slipping on wet paint like as if the wet paint was grease and both sets had their siping wear out inside 15k miles, scared the crap out of me one afternoon, drove up to Discount Tire and they were shocked too at how the siping was disappearing at just 15k miles. Deep siping is where it’s at for me and I’m a BFG guy for life. Btw, the KO2’s have literally NO slipping on the wet paint in the parking lot.

Nitto Ridge Grapplers new
c462a5303b8b9415c1055a8891605315.jpg

Nitto Ridge Grapplers at 15k miles “looks like siping was an afterthought with these tires”
2e21147be190cfce74ed12d6baff884d.jpg

But not with the KO2’s, their siping runs straight through the lugs [emoji1303]
0528b6c68d4367d5df3be5a533acc0a4.jpg

There’s just so much more that goes into making a Tire than looks, chemicals used is #1 in the KO2’s.

Sent from Above

Thanks for the demo. I appreciate your experiences.
  • Like 1

Don't really need tires yet, but I'm quickly diving into the rabbit hole. 

Current tires are Grabber ATP 275/55/20 XL. Good tire. Been happy with them. Previous truck I ran LT Cooper atw's, Grabber AT2s and KO's. That was before the newer KO2's and Grabber ATX. 

I do 90% of my driving on road. We get a decent amount of snow/ice/rain. So I like having a 3 peak rated tire. The other thing is I tow a large TT during the summer months. So I want a tire that tows well.

My Brother loves the Defender LTX on his F150. Says it works great in the ontario winters. I also really like the look of the Grabber atx though. Do I stick with a XL tire or go to a LT? My Grabber atp are 117T load range. Oddly the same size ATP LT tire is only 115T. I'd have to go up to a LT275/60/20 to get a 119T load. And the Defenders don't even come in a 275/55/20. it would have to be a LT265/60R20/E 121/118R or a LT275/65R20/E 126/123R which Im not sure would even fit. And those are both a much heavier tire. 

so many questions...so much to think about lol. sigh

Don't really need tires yet, but I'm quickly diving into the rabbit hole. 

Current tires are Grabber ATP 275/55/20 XL. Good tire. Been happy with them. Previous truck I ran LT Cooper atw's, Grabber AT2s and KO's. That was before the newer KO2's and Grabber ATX. 

I do 90% of my driving on road. We get a decent amount of snow/ice/rain. So I like having a 3 peak rated tire. The other thing is I tow a large TT during the summer months. So I want a tire that tows well.

My Brother loves the Defender LTX on his F150. Says it works great in the ontario winters. I also really like the look of the Grabber atx though. Do I stick with a XL tire or go to a LT? My Grabber atp are 117T load range. Oddly the same size ATP LT tire is only 115T. I'd have to go up to a LT275/60/20 to get a 119T load. And the Defenders don't even come in a 275/55/20. it would have to be a LT265/60R20/E 121/118R or a LT275/65R20/E 126/123R which Im not sure would even fit. And those are both a much heavier tire. 

so many questions...so much to think about lol. sigh

If you don’t need a real off road tire, the Defender LTX is unbeatable. But it’s a road tire.
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Robotaz said:

If you don’t need a real off road tire, the Defender LTX is unbeatable. But it’s a road tire.

exactly why Im leaning more that way. I like the looks of an AT tire more though, but function > fashion lol. Also the Agilis Cross Country may be an option. Slightly narrower LT 265/60/20 though. 

• 10 months later...
On 12/24/2019 at 8:35 AM, SquireSCA said:

Yeah, I like them so far.  Not a lot of noise, they handle great in dry and in the wet so far... We rarely get snow in GA so not sure when I will get to try that out...  Hope to get onto some muddy trails soon.  The tread looks aggressive enough and is similar to a Duratrac in that department, so I would expect it to do pretty well off road.

The stockers were the Wranger TrailRunner AT which isn't a bad tire, except that the OEM version that GM uses is NOT the same tread depth as the off the shelf version...  Else, I would have kept those for awhile.

But the tread depth stock was like 10mm at best, and so I went to Discount Tire like 5 days after I got my new truck.  They gave me credit for those tires, so the new UltraTerrains installed and balanced came to just under $800 with taxes and fees...

Are you still liking the Ultraterrains a year later?  How have they worn?