All Terrain tires

Thought I’d start a bit of a review thread on specifically All Terrain tires.

My truck was a manager’s demo and he installed a levelling kit and LT275/65R20,      BF Goodrich AT KO2’s with the 3 peak mountain snowflake symbol.

Truck has 10,000 km on it.

Not sure when the tires were installed but so far I’m very impressed with them!

They have good hydroplane resistance and the truck handles cornering well.

This is my first set of BFG AT’s.

They do have a bit of noise going down the freeway but that comes with the territory.

When it comes time to replacement I’m not sure which direction I’ll go at this time.

I’m not planning on any off-road adventures at this time.

I also prefer to have dedicated winter tires and rims although I’ll use these BFG’s this year as they are relatively new and the local tire shop I asked said they’ll perform quite well this year in the snow.

Just seeing what others are running on their trucks.

When it comes time to replace I’d probably go with something a little less aggressive although the AT tires “look good”

Also saw on Tirerack that BFG makes 2 types of their AT tires.

1 has the 3 peak mountain symbol and the other one has a DT marking for “different tread” which lasts longer but isn’t rated for the snow.

I’m thinking down the road I’d probably go the DT route and run dedicated winter tires/rims in the winter!

Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S are what I run. Also have the mountain snowflake symbol.

They perform as well as KO2's but for less $$. They also have great tread life. highly recommend.

• Like 2

For tire set #4 I went with the BFG ATs. I had these tires on my 04 Colorado and loved them then. I do a little off roading and get snow here so justified them that way. They are a good looking and performing tire. That's not to say there are not others out there that don't perform/appear as good. Just had good luck with these. I rotate, monitor my tire pressures, and check wear religiously so I know I'll get the miles out of them. Before these I had Nexen ATs. They were great tires too. 7bfad32677052ae8401207ebbda09f4a.jpg

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

On 10/17/2019 at 3:54 PM, aseibel said:

Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S are what I run. Also have the mountain snowflake symbol.

They perform as well as KO2's but for less $$. They also have great tread life. highly recommend.

Here's another vote for Cooper AT3 4S. For the price they're hard to beat. I ran them on my old Ram, they weren't noisy for AT's, had decent tread wear and handled snow and slush very well.

I had a long ordeal with my truck. Here goes.

Truck came with stock C rated Duratracs. They were loud but were pretty smooth. Few thousand miles in I started getting a constant vibration at anything over 65. Multiple balances later, still issues.

I figured maybe tires were bad. At this point went with Falken Wildpeak AT3W in E load. Horrible even after multiple balances, but to the tire's credit, I think the guys who did my balances did a horrible job and these were E rated and were going to feel rough no matter what.

Switched to Firestone Destination AT2 P rated. Again bad vibration and hopping even after two balances later.

Switched to Bridgestone Revo 3 in E load (Firestone wouldn't sell me the P rated version for some reason even though they did before) and out of all of them, these were by far the smoothest but still very rough and vibrations. 3 balances later, got rid of them.

Today I went to Discount Tire and tried their Cooper ATP in P rating. I think I finally found my tires. These so far (driven about 100 miles) are the smoothest and quietest out of the bunch, not to mention a lot cheaper.

I'm a little worried switching to a P rated tire, but I rarely tow, and I do go off road but nothing too crazy. Mainly fire roads around town. Hope I made the right decision, but so far I love them. I can enjoy driving my truck again.

• 2 months later...

Made a few comments in another thread about tires and figured I’d post them here too.

Had the truck since mid October and so far my KO2’s have performed flawlessly!

Vancouver(BC) experienced a monsoon Thursday, literally pond size puddles on the freeway.  My truck plowed through them with hardly any hydroplaning at all.

About 13,000 km on them and I run them at 42 PSI.  Carry a cross box with a couple 100 pounds of tools on a daily bases and frequently haul lumber so figured I’d get the pressure up a bit(maybe I’m at the right mark?)

Haven’t had any snow or ice yet so we’ll see how they perform if we get any.  The heavy winter rains we get in Vancouver haven’t been a problem at all!

Anyone have experience using the DT labeled KO2’s?

I’ve read a few times that the mountain peak labeled KO2’s don’t last long.

Makes sense, as to get the snow rating I’m sure the rubber compound is softer.

I’d prefer to get a set of dedicated winters in a year or so just for better snow and ice performance on a cheap set of 17 or 18” rims and keep my 20” wheels in good shape.

Also see how much life I get out of these winter rated KO2’s.

So far if I had to buy new tires tomorrow I’d repeat with the KO2’s but maybe try the DT rated ones instead?

Edited by madconcept

I just upgraded my OEM tires to Wrangler UltraTerrains from Discount Tire, 275/60r20...  Great tire so far, no vibes at up to 90mph so far, not too loud.  Look very similar to Duratracs...  Only a few bucks more than the Cooper ATP's

Aren’t those specifically manufactured for Discount Tire only?

Sent from Above

cant go wrong with BFG....my neighbor has the  cooper ill have to ask

So far I’m loving my KO2’s, adjusting psi as I go, I’m trying to get the perfect psi. So far, I’m 40 up front and 42 in the rear. I’ve actually gained 1-2 mpg after switching from the junk Nitto Ridge Grapplers. I’ve heard good reviews on the Coopers HTP’s.

Sent from Above