Dealership won't honor re-tune for GM CAI, help?

nino

Anyone find out if these filters can be washed.  On the last page of the instructions it stated to replace the filter element every 20K miles or 2 years.  The stealer wants $100.00 for the filter if you can find one due to the UAW strike.  I have seen them to $65 plus shipping on the web.

9 hours ago, fatwhiteboy said:

Anyone find out if these filters can be washed.  On the last page of the instructions it stated to replace the filter element every 20K miles or 2 years.  The stealer wants $100.00 for the filter if you can find one due to the UAW strike.  I have seen them to $65 plus shipping on the web.

These units are made by k&n and most likely washable as the filter is identical to the one I had for my 2015 Silverado from k&n, which was washable. Dealership just can’t wash and then let it dry for the customer, to much wasted time for them I would think so they just try to sell you a new one

Edited by Memphis87
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, davester said:

Well, which would you buy?  $100 for a new filter, or $100+ for a GM tech to do a half-a$$ed job of washing it out?

GM part number 84789804's instruction says to replace the filter GM # 84428120 every 20K miles or 2 years.  Right now I can't even find one on the web or at dealers.  The dealer wants $115.00 for the filter and many of the parts places on the internet are in the $65.00 range plus shipping.  You are right Davestar, I will do it my self for sure but on a dirt road I clean my AFE filters every oil change.  I prefer to wash them to blowing another $100.00 every oil change.  The GM performance CAI was not my first choice.  I have tried many other brands and now like AFE but the service manager explicitly stated if they can find dirt in the throttle body the engine warranty is void.  For this truck I only care because of the extended warranty that I purchased with it.

27 minutes ago, fatwhiteboy said:

GM part number 84789804's instruction says to replace the filter GM # 84428120 every 20K miles or 2 years.  Right now I can't even find one on the web or at dealers.  The dealer wants $115.00 for the filter and many of the parts places on the internet are in the $65.00 range plus shipping.  You are right Davestar, I will do it my self for sure but on a dirt road I clean my AFE filters every oil change.  I prefer to wash them to blowing another $100.00 every oil change.  The GM performance CAI was not my first choice.  I have tried many other brands and now like AFE but the service manager explicitly stated if they can find dirt in the throttle body the engine warranty is void.  For this truck I only care because of the extended warranty that I purchased with it.

I have the GM CAI on my 6.2.  I'm going to get this filter from AMSOIL and see how it fits.  If so then this will be my replacement filter.  The price listed is the retail price.  Anyone wanting to get one once I find out if it works let me know.  I can offer a GM-Trucks discount for it. 

AMSOIL  Universal Air Induction Filter EAAU4070

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Black02Silverado said:

I have the GM CAI on my 6.2.  I'm going to get this filter from AMSOIL and see how it fits.  If so then this will be my replacement filter.  The price listed is the retail price.  Anyone wanting to get one once I find out if it works let me know.  I can offer a GM-Trucks discount for it. 

Thank you, I run Amsoil in everything and will buy one.  I get the Amsoil preferred discount, I am not a distributor.  I even run their oil in my tractors.

• Like 1

Per instructions
Note: The cost of re-programming is included in the cost of this kit. The dealer is instructed to charge the reflash to Labor Code 0601558.

A tech friend of mine says that disconnecting the battery and discharging the system puts the computer in relearn mode (where the CAI is concerned) and the computer will sort it all out from there. No need to actually take it to the dealer for them to essentially restart the computer..
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, davester said:

Well, if you are going to wash a filter that has no documentation that says it can/should be washed, and you are worried about your warranty, good luck with that. Sounds like you bought some bling that you didn't realize was expensive to use...

I agree, the washable filter is nice for as often as I go thru them.  The GM Performance CAI was not my first choice.  I wanted the AFE that I have a 3 other vehicles.

1 hour ago, rbrjr1 said:

A tech friend of mine says that disconnecting the battery and discharging the system puts the computer in relearn mode (where the CAI is concerned) and the computer will sort it all out from there. No need to actually take it to the dealer for them to essentially restart the computer..

I am a mechanical engineer not electrical by a stretch but I do like dabbling with tuning.  The ECM is always learning to adapt to your driving conditions.  Every take the trailer off and the truck runs like a raped ape for a while then it starts to calm down.  I do not know what the learning time is for all of the parameters and I do not know if ECM has the proper code to recalibrate the new MAF Sensor readings.  I have not had a chance to take mine in for the MAF flash since I put the GM CAI.  I have not noticed any difference yet.  $500.00 well spent…

16 hours ago, Black02Silverado said:

I have the GM CAI on my 2019 LT 5.3 looks like there is a couple of the Amsoil filters that might fit.  Not sure if the 5.3 uses the same filter as the 6.2.  Looks like the Amsoil filter is a good one.  Keep us updated and please let me know how to use the GM trucks discount.

16 hours ago, rbrjr1 said:

Your tech friend is fully wrong in this case. The calibration that GM updates with the GM CAI modifies and changes the MAF scale and corrects the AFR for when the truck is in Open Loop during WOT. The only areas the ECM learns on these systems is the short term and long term fuel trims along with some of the idle airflow qualities. So resetting the ECM does nothing other than to clear the STFT and LTFT tables, the idle tables and if done by pulling the battery the adaptive learning tables for the transmission.

GM didnt go thru having to get CARB certifications for their CAI by only resetting the computers.

• Like 4

On 10/17/2019 at 5:25 PM, Black02Silverado said:

If you installed it then the only thing that the dealer is supposed to do free of charge is flash the computer.  The code that comes with the CAI is for that, not for the dealership to install the CAI.

This is what I’m saying, I installed it myself and brought to dealership for re-tune, should be covered right ?