In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Headlights too bright?

Does anyone else with a sierra or silverado get flashed constantly at night?

Seems that folks think the highs are on even though they aren't. Coming from a Wrangler that had horrible headlights I appreciate the lights on these trucks, but oncoming traffic doesn't haha. 

My truck isn't lifted or anything so the lights cant be that far off, never touched them so factory setting still applies. 

Thanks.

5 minutes ago, 1SLOW1500 said:

As I understand it I have some type of Intel beam they dim when they see a car coming. Maybe others know more.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

That only works if you have the high beams on, little "A" symbol on the dash once you activate it.

It senses oncoming traffic and dims the lights, then turns them back on after the car has passed, does not work when the fog lights are turned on.

27 minutes ago, ForestryGuy said:

Seems that folks think the highs are on even though they aren't. Coming from a Wrangler that had horrible headlights I appreciate the lights on these trucks, but oncoming traffic doesn't haha. 

My truck isn't lifted or anything so the lights cant be that far off, never touched them so factory setting still applies. 

Thanks.

Yes, they are bright, trucks sit higher than cars, so it happens.

Few threads on here about lowering them down, which I do not like the idea of because now your range has been diminished. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, JimCost2014 said:

Yes, they are bright, trucks sit higher than cars, so it happens.

Few threads on here about lowering them down, which I do not like the idea of because now your range has been diminished. 

Obviously trucks sit higher, but this is everything from cars to other pickups and semis. I don't plan to change anything just making sure its not just me. 

39 minutes ago, ForestryGuy said:

Thanks.

Yes!  I had to aim mine down before I lifted my truck as I was constantly getting flashed

Park on a flat area, aiming at a wall 25' away.

Measure the center of your headlight, then walk to wall and measure the cutoff line on the wall. If the line is not about 2" lower than the headlights, then your aim is too high. And that is why you are getting flashed.

These new lights are basically just high beams with the top of the beam cut off. If your aim is too high, you are literally driving around with your high beams hitting every oncoming driver. I wish law enforcement would watch for and ticket people with badly aimed lights. Gone are the days of 2 filament bulbs that are actually dimmer for "low beams".

Edited by aseibel

12 minutes ago, aseibel said:

Park on a flat area, aiming at a wall 25' away.

Measure the center of your headlight, then walk to wall and measure the cutoff line on the wall. If the line is not about 2" lower than the headlights, then your aim is too high. And that is why you are getting flashed.

These new lights are basically just high beams with the top of the beam cut off. If your aim is too high, you are literally driving around with your high beams hitting every oncoming driver. I wish law enforcement would watch for and ticket people with badly aimed lights. Gone are the days of 2 filament bulbs that are actually dimmer for "low beams".

You are right, a friend/officer in town asked me about them. He couldn't believe how bright they were and initially assumed I had my brights on. I'll check the aim this weekend. Like I said, these haven't been touched from factory settings, so if anyone aimed them poorly, it was GM. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ForestryGuy said:

Obviously trucks sit higher, but this is everything from cars to other pickups and semis. I don't plan to change anything just making sure its not just me. 

Not you, just bright lights, was just using the term "car" as an example.

Look directly into any car's headlights with HID's/LED's being even worse, they are all same.

The dealership should still have the testing equipment to determine if they are aligned correctly or not.

Edited by JimCost2014
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, durandetto said:

I get flashed all the time, but my truck is leveled and I put LEDs in since it came with halogens from the factory.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Did you do it the ricer way and throw them in the reflector housings of the 14/15 LT Silverado's or in the projector setups of the LTZ/High Country? If it is the latter then you need to adjust them down. The last thing you want is some elderly person hitting you head on driving a two lane at night because you blinded them...

Tyler