In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Headlights too bright?

1 hour ago, dukedkt442 said:

More important that the up/down aim is the left/right. Yes, headlights should be angled slightly right  I’ve seen vehicles fresh off the showroom floor with improper adjustment. 

No, the left headlight is simply supposed to be lower in height for oncoming traffic.

1 hour ago, truckguy82 said:

I flash the shit out of people who don’t have their headlights properly adjusted, and people who install hid’s in halogen housings. I take blinding people more serious than most.

Had you read the thread and my previous posts you probably would have picked up on this.

hey Okee Dokee, I thought I had read the thread ....... sorry if I missed something important. But I did read where you said you "flash the shit out of people" who don't have their lights properly adjusted. Then I think I read where you said something about "hitting them with your high beams just to see their reaction.

Then didn't I read something like you having "stock LTZ projector headlights with stock bulbs", and that "they're plenty bright on both low and high beam." Then it seems you"leveled your truck and with the projectors plus the LED fogs you have" and that ='d you "getting flashed all the time."

I guess reading some of that I got an entirely wrong impression of what you were saying. My bad! I'm sorry to have misunderstood what you were trying to get across. I'll try harder next time. But you know how us "old farts" are sometimes. We often think we know more than we really do. LOL!

And even though you and I will probably never agree on whether or not my method of adjusting lights is "common sense", if I were to tell you how we 'old farts' adjusted the toe on the front tires on our circle track race cars, you'd likely have a coronary. So instead of that happening, let's just let it go and remain friends. Whadayasay, OK? But I will tell you it had something to do with a 3" paint brush. LOL!

Regards,

jumpinjoe

1 hour ago, truckguy82 said:

No, the left headlight is simply supposed to be lower in height for oncoming traffic.

Oh really? Sounds like you're the guy I write for improperly adjusted headlights. Here’s a primer:

https://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/a257/how-to-adjust-lights/

22 minutes ago, dukedkt442 said:

Oh really? Sounds like you're the guy I write for improperly adjusted headlights. Here’s a primer:

https://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/a257/how-to-adjust-lights/

Whatdaya know, the same ol' non-common sense method I've made use of (in a pinch) for probably 60+ years. LOL! LOL! It's always good to have them verified, but like I said, "in a pinch" it'll get you by.

Sounds like you must be LEO. And a whole house full of vehicles!! And a hell of a variety of them too. I don't know a thing about BMW's or Jetta's, except high $$$'s. But I do love me some old 442's, especially the mid- late 70's.

Regards,

jumpinjoe

• Like 1

13 hours ago, truckguy82 said:

I flash the shit out of people who don’t have their headlights properly adjusted, and people who install hid’s in halogen housings. I take blinding people more serious than most.

I agree that blinding other drivers is a serious and dangerous behavior.  Your solution is as bad, if not worse.  If you must, a quick one or two flash from a distance is ample information.  If they don't dim down, blinding them won't correct their behavior and will increase the danger for you and others.   Night driving presents challenges and even the most competent drivers can find poor visibility humbling.  If night driving causes you an inordinate amount of stress then there is no shame in making other arrangements.  I have senior friends who will not drive at night and I know people who quit driving at night in their teens.  There are strategies to deal with minimizing the impact of approaching bright lights.  Google will often help refresh/update the information we all learned in drivers' ed.  https://driversed.com/driving-information/driving-conditions/challenges-of-night-driving.aspx

23 minutes ago, Donstar said:

I agree that blinding other drivers is a serious and dangerous behavior.  Your solution is as bad, if not worse.  If you must, a quick one or two flash from a distance is ample information.  If they don't dim down, blinding them won't correct their behavior and will increase the danger for you and others.   Night driving presents challenges and even the most competent drivers can find poor visibility humbling.  If night driving causes you an inordinate amount of stress then there is no shame in making other arrangements.  I have senior friends who will not drive at night and I know people who quit driving at night in their teens.  There are strategies to deal with minimizing the impact of approaching bright lights.  Google will often help refresh/update the information we all learned in drivers' ed.  https://driversed.com/driving-information/driving-conditions/challenges-of-night-driving.aspx

I flash people that clearly left their highbeams on by accident. I also flash people with improperly height adjusted lights.

I leave my brights on and blind them if it’s a truck or some jeep that installed hid’s in halogen housings, because they are certified assholes

The only advice I will listen to is how to make my lights brighter to do so.

Edited by truckguy82

On 10/25/2019 at 8:04 AM, Ozer said:

Haha this should be hurting you actually, you are throwing light way higher than where the optimal area is, common sense: You go up 7", light beam should come down some to compensate. Otherwise you are getting crappy light output no matter what you say. An you also should care. My high beams are super bring since i have the Morimoto 55w kit and if someone coming towards me and they dont respond to my flashing them.. then they get a face full of my highs until they turn theirs off or they pass me.

Common sense would make you think if I’m not getting flashed then maybe just maybe my lights have been adjusted. Maybe

On 10/25/2019 at 9:48 AM, Donstar said:

Good for Op to bring this up again as daylight hours reduce.  If you are being flashed regularly, and don't know how to fix the problem, find a service center that does these adjustments.  The greatest danger on the road are people that believe things like,  "I’m lifted 7” and could give two shits about oncoming traffic".   People who feel this way have very limited/lucky road experience and don't appreciate the potential danger of a blinded oncoming driver. You may not care about what happens behind you while the eyes of the blinded driver readjust but your friend, neighbour, family member or innocent stranger might!   Also, there is a chance that approaching drivers will be moth-like in their approach!  You probably will not have to worry about headlights anymore if you collide. 

You do you and I’ll do me. You ever see me coming and flash me Don you’ll get a big middle finger as I go by 

On 10/25/2019 at 9:52 AM, Texas Daddy said:

Even a level kit will push your lights up into oncoming eyes - especially lower cars like my wife's e350. Most of the time I am blinded, its by some leveled truck that added leds, but didnt aim down. Thats the first thing I did after level, and I dont get flashed. To those who dont care, enjoy my brights - if you dont like it, take care of your shit...

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Yep

On 10/25/2019 at 10:20 AM, truckguy82 said:

This is the only reason I wish I had the 55W instead of the 35W, to blind the crap out of people who don’t care if they blind others. Upgraded lights in non-projector housings are my favorite target.

Boom

46 minutes ago, truckguy82 said:

I leave my brights on and blind them if it’s a truck or some jeep that installed hid’s in halogen housings, because they are certified assholes

LOL.  I know you're not serious and hoping to provoke a little excitement. ?  Unfortunately,  I know there are some inexperienced/immature  drivers who believe such strategies are effective or provide some personal satisfaction.   Hopefully such drivers improve their attitudes without bringing harm to themselves or others.

16 minutes ago, Jacoby said:

You do you and I’ll do me. You ever see me coming and flash me Don you’ll get a big middle finger as I go by 

Yes, you probably won't find me flashing you unless I believe a reminder may improve the situation.  If you receive a single quick flash from a distance it could be me but you may as well keep your hands on the wheel.  I will be looking away from you and your lights if they are too bright.  

On 10/25/2019 at 1:49 PM, jegreenwood14 said:

I've got stock LTZ projector headlights with stock bulbs.  They're plenty bright on both low and high beam.  Leveled truck plus the projectors plus the LED fogs I have = getting flashed all the time.

My solution, since I know my bulbs are angled right.. Hit them with my high beams, so they know my lows were on.  You should see their reactions. 

It is usually old farts that thin that everything is bright. 

Did you realign your lights after the level?

Its pretty easy to tell when one vehicle coming toward you has lights that are much brighter than every other vehicle. If you are getting flashed frequently, I'm guessing your lights are not "angled right". And when someone flashes you to try to ask you to turn off your high-beams, and you flash them back confirming that your low beams are burning their retinas, all you are doing is verifying for them that you are a "blankety blank". I hope you do that to a cop soon and get a hefty fine.

I had laser surgery about 6 years ago. I'm 38. Please fix your lights. For the safety of everyone on the road. Most "old farts" aren't on the road during dark hours anyway.

On 10/26/2019 at 11:51 AM, Jacoby said:

Common sense would make you think if I’m not getting flashed then maybe just maybe my lights have been adjusted. Maybe

My response was to your initial post where you said "I’m lifted 7” and could give two shits about oncoming traffic. "

If you didnt do the lift yourself and had a shop do it, then obviously they are smart enough to adjust the lights down after a 7" lift. So yeah, you are fine im sure.

In my stock 2018 Sierra, I do get flashed a lot.  The aim seems pretty reasonable when unloaded.  Maybe I should, but I don't adjust my headlights every time I haul a load.  When hauling, I get flashed even more. 

The thing is, I drive by a lot of 2016-2018 Sierras, and never feel that their headlights are blinding me. 

I get flashed driving my wife's stock Mini Countryman with OEM HIDs as well. 

I live in the rolling clay hills in Ontario, as you crest a hill the oncoming driver will always be below your cut off line. Most people are too stupid to understand how these new lights work and think you have your brights on when in fact its just the angle of the road. In the US on long flat freeways this is not a problem. People just don't know these new systems yet and will take a few years to figure it out. I turned mine down from stock and I still get flashed once a week minimum. Even worse if I have a load in the bed. Brought home 2 50gal drums of DEF from the city on Thurday. With the barrels placed right at my back window I still got flashed 6 times on a 3hr drive home. I have a 30" bar behind the grill for the people that flash you and don't shut off their brights after. They usually change their tune fast when you touch that on and off quick. My truck that I get it the worst in is a 2015 Sierra, but they do it to me in my 2018 2500 as well. Many are other K2 owners to boot. People just aren't observational anymore, no one thinks for two seconds, rather they reach for their high beams. Also helps not to stare directly into an oncoming vehicle's lights...

Edited by L86 All Terrain

Some interesting comments came out in this thread. A little more douchebaggery than was expected though. I tend to be a considerate driver because being a dick never got anyone anywhere...just my $0.02. Not to mention getting blinded on roads where deer and elk hang out is a serious safety concern. 

Just wanted to see what folks thoughts were about how bright these things are, like I said I came from a Wrangler so anything is exponentially brighter.