Headlights too bright?

This thread is full of cringe

your headlights aren’t too bright, infact they suck, so do all oem k2xx.

Don’t call hi-beams “brights” because all the hi-beams do is raise the angle in which your headlights shine.

I find it shocking that so many people don’t know modern cars have a height adjustment, and if its adjusted too high it’s going to shine directly into peoples faces.

Did you do it the ricer way and throw them in the reflector housings of the 14/15 LT Silverado's or in the projector setups of the LTZ/High Country? If it is the latter then you need to adjust them down. The last thing you want is some elderly person hitting you head on driving a two lane at night because you blinded them...

Tyler
I wasn't aware it was considered "the ricer way" to replace halogens with LEDs without spending $300+ on new headlight assemblies, but yes I just put LEDs in my factory LT headlights. My lights aren't aimed that much higher than factory they're just bright enough to actually be able to see at night now.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

This thread is full of cringe

your headlights aren’t too bright, infact they suck, so do all oem k2xx.

Don’t call hi-beams “brights” because all the hi-beams do is raise the angle in which your headlights shine.

I find it shocking that so many people don’t know modern cars have a height adjustment, and if its adjusted too high it’s going to shine directly into peoples faces.

I'm pretty sure you're just assuming most people don't know there's a height adjustment. I would assume most people know there's an adjustment, they just don't take the time to find a level surface facing a blank wall to make said adjustment.

Projector headlamps, doesn't matter whether halogen or HID?

If not, no further comment.

If so you have to check the operation of the high beam cutoff shutters. When you switch from low to high beam you should hear clicking under the hood in the areas of the headlamps.If not one or both of the shutters or their relays are defective. Of course the visible change in the beams will also be evident when pointing at a wall or garage door.

I’m lifted 7” and could give two shits about oncoming traffic. With that said I can honestly say I’ve never been flashed in this truck. It’s when I pull up behind people that I can tell they get pissed off lol. 

and the headlights in my 17 are awesome and don’t suck

12 hours ago, ForestryGuy said:

Does anyone else with a sierra or silverado get flashed constantly at night?

Seems that folks think the highs are on even though they aren't. Coming from a Wrangler that had horrible headlights I appreciate the lights on these trucks, but oncoming traffic doesn't haha. 

My truck isn't lifted or anything so the lights cant be that far off, never touched them so factory setting still applies. 

Thanks.

I'm not totally up on all the high tech sensors, etc on some of the newer trucks, but I'll give it a try to help you. If none of the high tech stuff seems to be the problem, I can give you an ol' school way, but totally acceptable way to adjust the headlights.

If you're being flashed all that much, you might expect you have a problem. 1st, check your headlight switch. Make sure that whatever position it's in doesn't keep your high beams on even when meeting an oncoming car, some of these newer ones are still amazing to me. And I think there might even be a light sensor on the front, left side of your rear view mirror that must be unobstructed so it can see oncoming vehicles. I've know folks who hung their 'Handicapped' parking tag over it and all their lights and mirrors went haywire. At least it was on my last 2006. I think there are some newer ones that has them also. Also make sure the turn signal lever is not pushed forward which also locks the high beams on I think. And lastly, make sure your fog lights are not on when you're driving, they may be what your problem is. You'd be surprised how many folks drive every day/night with them on and never realize it. If that all checks out you still have a simple remedy. This is more than an image issue, it's a safety issue. With the higher intensity lights on some of today's trucks and cars, headlight aiming is more important than ever.

If all this checks out, then if you have a relatively level driveway and you can back away from your garage door about 20', you can check the adjustment on your lights and make them right. If you don't know how to set them, get back to me and I'll help. Oh, I know you said there was no lift on your truck, but if you bought it used look again to be certain.

Regards,

jumpinjoe

OK, need a little guidance here. I read the op's post back at the beginning of this thread and thought I might be able to help. So I clicked on "Quote" in his original post and that brought me to the very end of the thread to make my post/reply, which I did, and included the quote from the OP. After making my post/reply, I went back to the beginning of the thread to read through it and lo and behold, almost everything I suggested for him to check, and even the old school adjustment method I offered him was already posted in the thread. I had no way of knowing what all had been posted throughout the thread because it jumped me all the way to the end to reply.

So my question is this ...... Does the thread always take you to the last post in any thread if you click on the OP to quote him in your reply? If that's the case, how do you know where to go back to if for example the post you're quoting is on page 2, and half way down the page and you'd like to go back to that point and resume reading the thread? Is it a simple matter of paying attention to where you are when you click on 'quote'? Or better yet, how do you offer a reply without a 'quote'? I've not seen any "reply" button to click except with a quote.

I've already told y'all I'm technology challenged and still can't set a clock on a VCR, but I didn't think it would be as difficult here as it appears. So sorry!

Regards,

jumpinjoe

9 hours ago, durandetto said:

I'm pretty sure you're just assuming most people don't know there's a height adjustment. I would assume most people know there's an adjustment, they just don't take the time to find a level surface facing a blank wall to make said adjustment.

Find a level surface? That’s silly too. It’s a truck that’s changes its angle constantly if you are using it to carry loads.

Just drive down the road and look where your headlights are shining. Adjust down if too high. 

Adjusting on a level surface is silly. I did it too when I did my d2s retrofit, but it’s pretty obvious where your headlights need to be from normal driving.

7 hours ago, Jacoby said:

I’m lifted 7” and could give two shits about oncoming traffic. With that said I can honestly say I’ve never been flashed in this truck. It’s when I pull up behind people that I can tell they get pissed off lol. 

Headlights of all k2xx and t1xx suck, I’ve tried them all. Cadillac, mercedes, bmw, audi, etc etc all make much higher performing lights.

I am partially biased because whenever I get a loaner I’m directly switching from my 35watt upgrade to oem GM and the oem is just aweful in comparison.

After long term usage, 35w hid retrofit is probably one of the best upgrades I did for my truck. 

Also I always turn on my highs to gay modified vehicles that don’t have their headlights adjusted properly.

You should care. There are lots of people on the road that aren’t healthy men with all their wits. There are plenty of older people that if you shine your headlights in their faces they are effected a lot more and basically can’t see.

Edited by truckguy82

Headlights of all k2xx and t1xx suck, I’ve tried them all. Cadillac, mercedes, bmw, audi, etc etc all make much higher performing lights.

I am partially biased because whenever I get a loaner I’m directly switching from my 35watt upgrade to oem GM and the oem is just aweful in comparison.

After long term usage, 35w hid retrofit is probably one of the best upgrades I did for my truck. 

Also I always turn on my highs to gay modified vehicles that don’t have their headlights adjusted properly.

You should care. There are lots of people on the road that aren’t healthy men with all their wits. There are plenty of older people that if you shine your headlights in their faces they are effected a lot more and basically can’t see.
Ummm the lights on my AT4 are fantastic. If you haven't checked out the lights on an AT4, SLT, Denali, or High Country you should. They're different and they're extremely bright.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, truckguy82 said:

Find a level surface? That’s silly too. It’s a truck that’s changes its angle constantly if you are using it to carry loads.

Just drive down the road and look where your headlights are shining. Adjust down if too high. 

Adjusting on a level surface is silly. I did it too when I did my d2s retrofit, but it’s pretty obvious where your headlights need to be from normal driving.

There is a reason why you do it on a level surface.  If your truck is pointing up because of a slope, ground to center of your headlight vs ground to the cut-off line is obviously skewed and will cause your lights to be pointing even further downward after any adjustments, and vice versa.  Yes, find a level surface...

The only point this doesn't take effect is if your wall is still somewhat perpendicular to the slope you're on but not everyone has a perfectly flat driveway and the last time I checked, people don't build houses that aren't straight up and down on the sides (or maybe they do haha) - if you are just using your garage door as reference for adjustments.

1 hour ago, truckguy82 said:

Talk about cringe.  The lights on our trucks are pretty impressive for stock considering they're available on an LT package and they don't require paying premium for LTZ or High Country.  Most entry brands don't offer this in basic packages, well at least they didn't before current model years, and what you're considering bright in "Cadillac, Mercedes, BMW, Audi, etc" are not apples to apples because those are premium brands and I would expect there to be better, higher end tech in their lights.

Not sure why you are crapping on this thread but it's clear that you are unhappy about something in your life, especially if you "always turn on my highs to gay modified vehicles that don’t have their headlights adjusted properly".

?‍♂️

Talk about cringe.  The lights on our trucks are pretty impressive for stock considering they're available on an LT package and they don't require paying premium for LTZ or High Country.  Most entry brands don't offer this in basic packages, well at least they didn't before current model years, and what you're considering bright in "Cadillac, Mercedes, BMW, Audi, etc" are not apples to apples because those are premium brands and I would expect there to be better, higher end tech in their lights.

Not sure why you are crapping on this thread but it's clear that you are unhappy about something in your life, especially if you "always turn on my highs to gay modified vehicles that don’t have their headlights adjusted properly".

[emoji2357]
He's obviously never driven the higher trim level trucks either. Those stock lights are every bit as bright as any other vehicle on the road except maybe the new Acura's.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jacoby said:

Haha this should be hurting you actually, you are throwing light way higher than where the optimal area is, common sense: You go up 7", light beam should come down some to compensate. Otherwise you are getting crappy light output no matter what you say. An you also should care. My high beams are super bring since i have the Morimoto 55w kit and if someone coming towards me and they dont respond to my flashing them.. then they get a face full of my highs until they turn theirs off or they pass me.

2 hours ago, BringTheRain403 said:

He's obviously never driven the higher trim level trucks either. Those stock lights are every bit as bright as any other vehicle on the road except maybe the new Acura's.

I’ve driven 2015, 2016, 17,18,19 denali’s at night. I always get slt and denali’s as loaners. Also own a 2014 slt.

2015 was the worst, 2019 second worst. 16-18 was better but still muh. Had a solid beam pattern but output left some to be desired.

None of them are as good as the typical luxury brands.

You guys don’t know what your missing with a 35watt upgrade.

Edited by truckguy82

Good for Op to bring this up again as daylight hours reduce.  If you are being flashed regularly, and don't know how to fix the problem, find a service center that does these adjustments.  The greatest danger on the road are people that believe things like,  "I’m lifted 7” and could give two shits about oncoming traffic".   People who feel this way have very limited/lucky road experience and don't appreciate the potential danger of a blinded oncoming driver. You may not care about what happens behind you while the eyes of the blinded driver readjust but your friend, neighbour, family member or innocent stranger might!   Also, there is a chance that approaching drivers will be moth-like in their approach!  You probably will not have to worry about headlights anymore if you collide. 

• Like 2