Ok I just bought a new 2020 GMC 3500HD, so far  I am very happy with this truck. GMC really did a lot of thinking on building this truck. I am just amazed with all the technology on this truck. Now I have run into one problem. I am not much of a tech guy but I will try to explain this problem. I have an apple I phone. I am able to use voice command  on the truck and I am able to send a text message. but when it comes to receiving a text message it only shows up on my phone and not on the screen and no notifications sounds that you have received a text message. I called GMC and they told me that the only way your text message will work is if you are connected to apple car play. Well I did it and it works with the USB cord plug in.  I fine it hard to believe that it won't work with out the cord.  Has anyone else experiencing this problem.

4 minutes ago, Pat Papasergia said:

I just don't get this how unsafe, now lets see my wife alexis is 3 years olds and you are able to send a text message through the voice command. I find it really hard to believe that GMC would cheap out on this. Unbelievable. How unsafe for GMC to do this.

Frustrating you cant do it wireless but certainly nothing unsafe about connecting via usb before you start driving, works fine.

• Like 1

I just don't get this how unsafe, now lets see my wife alexis is 3 years olds and you are able to send a text message through the voice command. I find it really hard to believe that GMC would cheap out on this. Unbelievable. How unsafe for GMC to do this.

It’s still hands free via Apple CarPlay. Your texts will still be read to you but you have to plug your phone in so the vehicle can connect to CarPlay.
There’s just no longer a native app.

Many other manufacturers are starting to do this as well, it's not just GM. I have friends with other makes they've purchased recently and their vehicle does the same in regards to texts. If it's plugged in, you can also send and reply to FB Messages, too.

Well with this technology nowadays, I just find it hard to believe GMC would do this.  I don't text that often so I don't have a need to plug my cord into the usb port, for car play, that just me. Now you received a text on your phone instead on the screen..  Such a great truck but this would of made it a better truck. Ya I know its not that big of a deal, I will get use to it. I am glad I found an answer to my question. Thanks guys

• 4 weeks later...

2019 AT4 and mine only works plugged in.   Pretty stupid if you ask me. You put in a wireless charger that I can’t use.... I have a 2018 Jeep and a 2018 Ford and both those vehicles let you hear your text and respond to via Bluetooth. 

Can't you just ask Siri to send a text for you?

That’s what I’ve been doing to compensate. I’ll just “Hey Siri...” and have her read/send texts for me. It’s less than ideal but at least it’s still hands free & through the vehicle speakers when connected via Bluetooth.

• 8 months later...

I traded my 2017 F250 for a 2020 GMC Sierra Denali....Fully loaded and when you connect the phone bluetooth not only does it not reccognize or play text messages it also mutes them so you don't even know they came in. It has a wireless charger but I have to plug it is to use Android Auto?? When I use Android Auto the texts sometimes come in and sometimes it asks if I want to reply and 1 out of 100 times it actually lets me reply. My 2017 F250 worked flawlessly wirelessly. I could not reply to them through the truck but at least I knew they came in, I could hear them and could see if they were important. And if needed I would call the person through the controls on the steering wheel. I run a small business with my phone and I have 700 miles on a $80k truck and I am thinking about trading it in. Otherwise I will need to disconnect the bluetooth and use the phone in my hand like it's 2005. Who is the idiot that programmed these trucks ????