20 Duramax MPG.......how are we doing?

On 3/30/2020 at 11:28 AM, samuse said:

How are you guys doing it?

I have a '20 single cab dually and so far, unloaded highway is 13mpg.  

My 6.0 gas gets almost that??

772DC23A-4CDF-4200-BBCA-57665C9A477E.jpeg

Is it just me, or does that thing look like a ford?  No offense.  I hope you are happy with it!  I haven't seen a new single cab HD Dually in awhile!  Cool!  I just don't get why the Grille has to be so big like that..

Edited by Colossus

Go 70mph in the right lane I bet you pick up 5+ miles per gallon.

When I saw that you lived in Texas the first thought that popped into my head was that he travels over the speed limit if 13 mpg is the best he's seen so far.

Driving faster doesn't do any more good for the emissions systems than driving slow. It's just going to burn more fuel and DEF going faster.

Edited by CamGTP
  • Like 1

My 2011 Silverado 2500HD CC LML averaged 15-17mpg with 70% / 30% mix of highway/city driving.  My 2020 Silverado 3500HD CC L5P SRW is seeing an average of 17-19mpg with the same combination.  Mileage is 788 so I'm optimistic this will improve even more once the engine is a bit more broken in.

Note:  Average Highway speeds are around 65

Edited by jkobs

My mileage when no pulling a trailer is fine, nearly 20.  It is not so good when pulling a travel trailer weighing 8000 pounds.  We just completed a 3600 trip from Michigan to Texas and back pulling the 8000 pound  trailer.  Mileage averaged at 10.5, it varied from 8 to 13, depending on winds and speeds.  We drive on 2 lane roads as much as possible and I drove at 62 MPH most of the time.  We drove about 500 miles on the interstate where I drove at 72MPH.  Mileage is not as good as I hoped and doubt that it will improve. We have 4800 miles on the truck, others say if will improve once we get 30000 miles. Hope they are correct.

On 4/8/2020 at 10:58 PM, Leon Baehre said:

My mileage when no pulling a trailer is fine, nearly 20.  It is not so good when pulling a travel trailer weighing 8000 pounds.  We just completed a 3600 trip from Michigan to Texas and back pulling the 8000 pound  trailer.  Mileage averaged at 10.5, it varied from 8 to 13, depending on winds and speeds.  We drive on 2 lane roads as much as possible and I drove at 62 MPH most of the time.  We drove about 500 miles on the interstate where I drove at 72MPH.  Mileage is not as good as I hoped and doubt that it will improve. We have 4800 miles on the truck, others say if will improve once we get 30000 miles. Hope they are correct.

What was it at 72

Our mileage while traveling at 72 MPH was 9.5 MPG. The truck pulls the trailer effortlessly. No more engine revs when it downshifts for a small grade. No more sway when passed by semi's or high winds. No more white knuckle driving.

• 3 weeks later...

My lifetime average is 15.3mpg which is combination of city, towing, and highway for 10,000 miles.  Unloaded at 75-78mph I've averaged around 19-20mpg depending on wind.  Around town if I dont hammer it I'll get around 14mpg, loaded with my utility trailer and mule pro itll do about 16mpg.  My 14k fifth wheel runs about 10.5mpg which is on par with previous generation LML and L5P trucks I've had, and is better on mileage when compared to my 2017 super duty diesel.  

Mileage wise I see an improvement on unloaded vs my 2019 L5P, other than that it is nearly identical. 

However performance wise the 2020 is definitely smoother and seems to have more get up and go.  I will be doing our yearly tow up to colorado from texas in June and will report back on mileage from that trip as our loaded weight will be in the 17000lb range.

I have about 1100 miles on mine.  This is the first tank I checked and it came out exactly the same as the trip meter said.  18.4  I live in the country, so it's not much city driving.  

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Towed to Colorado and back from Texas for our yearly vacation trip.  Total trip mileage was 1658 miles with 12.5mpg on the computer.  Towing to Colorado loaded with 17,300lbs we averaged 10.1mpg @ 68 mph.  Towing back to Texas same load we averaged 9.5mpg @ 68 mph.  Seems to be about on par with previous gen trucks as far as mileage.  However the towing experience was more pleasant and seemed like the truck never ran out of power, the new 10 speeds are excellent.

On 11/21/2019 at 11:41 PM, Peekaboo Bruizer said:

20 D max AT4 almost 3000mi averaging an easy 15 mpg,  best around 23 on the computer.

Way better then my 19 D max. 
Yeah 10 speed helps but I think there’s more going on then that from 19 to 20. 
Don’t do much towing hardly any just haul in’ my ass around. 
Amazing  daily driver Once you get used to the size. 
tons of cameras & mirrors can pretty much park anywhere if you take your time 

amazing ride big improvement 19 to 20 IMO

2020 AT4 DURAMAX 3500, SINGLE AXLE, Bought in JAX Fl, drove it to south florida, got the same 20 mpg.  I tow a single axle aluminum trailer with a Yamaha 2 seater sxs, (approx1800lbs with gear) just went to NC, got about 13-15 mpg towing!! way better than my silverado 5.3L gas 1500.

21 hours ago, MrGraff said:

Towed to Colorado and back from Texas for our yearly vacation trip.  Total trip mileage was 1658 miles with 12.5mpg on the computer.  Towing to Colorado loaded with 17,300lbs we averaged 10.1mpg @ 68 mph.  Towing back to Texas same load we averaged 9.5mpg @ 68 mph.  Seems to be about on par with previous gen trucks as far as mileage.  However the towing experience was more pleasant and seemed like the truck never ran out of power, the new 10 speeds are excellent.

Hope you enjoyed your stay here in Colorado