Open Detailing Thread

JHP

I was wondering what everyone used in detailing their trucks/other automobiles.  Here is what I currently use:  

1. for washing, I use the ZipWax car wash;

2. for waxing, I use the NuFinish (which I switched to years ago when I could no longer find the Rain Dance car wax);

3. for cleaning interior dash/door trim/other hard surfaces, I use the GM cleaner and GM conditioner (which I find does a better job than anything I've tried); and

4. for windows I use any "invisible" glass cleaner/polish that they have at Wal-Mart.

When washing my vehicle I always wash from top down, with the black trim, steps and tires/rims always being last. 

The problem I have with all car waxes I have tried in the past (including the NuFinish I use) is that if you get it on black trim it is difficult to get off.  

I've seen the Detail Geek on YouTube tout the 303 Aerospace conditioner/UV protectant but haven't tried that yet.

I've never clay barred any vehicle because at least twice per year I re-wax all my vehicles.

Post what you use.  I would love to know what different products you use and your experience with them.

• I use chemical guys wash, i switch between a few of the foam ones. All very similar...I dont really like their "black light" one I feel it makes the paint feel almost stripped down? About 50% of the time I use the power washer and foam cannon to clean it. Makes it super easy to clean and enjoyable. 
  • Wax- I ceramic coated my truck so I dont use any wax or polish on it. Second vehicle I've owned that I coated and IMO i feel its superior to waxing the vehicle every few months. (just apply the exo coating yearly)
  • For detailing in between washes I'll use CAR products Shake'n'Shine or chemical guys quick detailer. 
  • Interior I use the CAR products equivalent to VLR. My local place I go to is a dealer for their stuff and so far I've enjoyed it.
  • Windows I use invisible glass or a mixture I made up after getting the recipe from the tint shop I go to. 

For your issue with getting the residue off the black trim, I suggest "Back to Black" by chemical guys it works really well and I used it to take a lot of the polish residue off. 

• Like 2

+1 on the foam cannon & chemical guys

Probably the most important is to use the two bucket method with grit guards when washing. Google it if you’re unfamiliar with it. It’s actually also better to start with wheels/rims first since there’s usually a lot of dirt on there that will make it’s way back on the paint if doing last.

Also ceramic coating is probably the best thing I’ve ever done to my vehicles and makes washing/maintaining a clean look so much more enjoyable. 

• Like 1

I use Chemical Guys citrus wash and gloss for all my cars.

For wax / sealant, I have used Adams Buttery wax or Jet Seal from CG.

I am pretty much open to anything that provides a protective coating, but I am getting ready to switch to some silica products.  Haven't chosen which ones yet.

I also use a drying aid from Superior that provides a "quick wax" to help boost protection between coatings. 

I like CG's silk shine for my tires and black plastics as a coating.

Interior wipe down I use Adams interior detailer.  Love that stuff.

Will use Meg's APC for deep cleaning.

For glass I use Stoner Invisible Glass.  Love that stuff and it's cheap enough.

I've used Adams products for quite some time. No complaints. But there are probably  a hundred detail product companies out there. Most are very good. With all the new ceramic products out there, I don't know why anybody would use wax on a daily driver.

Edited by tbarn

Switched everything to Chemical Guy products.  I have tried many different cleaning and protection products and in my opinion Chemical Guy is the best.  Yes Grumpy Bear, it is like taking a shower, you have to do it once a month...

5 hours ago, econometrics said:

I use the local auto-wash. Lol 

I've hand washed a few times, but I usually just go to the local gas station, which has the only "touchless" wash nearby...  I'm not ready for that big blue octopus of nasty dirty 100x used felt washers to be beating the crap out of my paint job.....   

• Like 1