Automatic Parking Brake?

SteveCZ

So I was washing the truck in the garage today, and I heard a noise come from either the gas tank area or the rear driver side wheel.  My fob was in my jacket on the steps, far away from me.  I get in the truck to leave, and notice the parking brake was on, from the red idiot light.   So at least I know what the noise was.   Is there some sensor that if the truck rocks one way or the other too much it will put the brake on????

edit:   Forgot truck type.  2020 GMC AT4 5.3 10 speed 

Edited by SteveCZ

When I put mine in reverse, it didn’t disengage.  I had to turn it off manually, even though I didn’t engage it.   For someone not paying attention and just throwing it in reverse, would be in for a surprise.  

8 hours ago, econometrics said:

It will engage the park brake on an incline automatically. But sometimes it does it randomly as a system process. Mine hasn’t done that very often, but I use mine every night as I park on an incline at home. 

Same here. I always use it as a precaution whether on an incline or not to save falling back on the parking pawl in the tranny. Likely why I've never had it autorun through an exercise cycle to keep the mechanism functional.

• Like 1

So I was washing the truck in the garage today, and I heard a noise come from either the gas tank area or the rear driver side wheel.  My fob was in my jacket on the steps, far away from me.  I get in the truck to leave, and notice the parking brake was on, from the red idiot light.   So at least I know what the noise was.   Is there some sensor that if the truck rocks one way or the other too much it will put the brake on????

edit:   Forgot truck type.  2020 GMC AT4 5.3 10 speed 

Are you sure it’s not the fuel pump priming? If you get close to the truck with the key I’ve noticed it kicks on. I always have my parking brake set and it makes that sound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, mandrewbot3k said:

Are you sure it’s not the fuel pump priming? If you get close to the truck with the key I’ve noticed it kicks on. I always have my parking brake set and it makes that sound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nope.  I never set the parking brake in the garage.  Got in the truck and the parking brake was set.  Different sound than fuel pump.  

Also it will unlock automatically. Just put it in gear and go. It will unlock if it detect throttle command while in gear. I like using parking brake. Just don't like the button because some times I don't know if I successfully pushed it or not unless I look at the gauge. And looking at the gauge for parking brake is a thing I am not used to.

On 12/9/2019 at 5:49 AM, SteveCZ said:

When I put mine in reverse, it didn’t disengage.  I had to turn it off manually, even though I didn’t engage it.   For someone not paying attention and just throwing it in reverse, would be in for a surprise.  

It will disengage when you give it a bit of pedal.

It can cause the truck to lurch a bit so be careful.