Do wider (not taller tires) kill mpg?

I put on a set of 305/55r20s and took my first road trip.  I had gotten up to 22 with the factory duellers doing 70. I was doing 74 today but barely got 15mpg.   There was a slight headwind but that is a huge hit.  They are only .25" bigger diameter.  And they are p rated so not much heavier.  Maybe it's the tread.  I love the look, handling, and quiet of them but that mpg hit sucks.  Maybe its winter gas too.  Not even sure if that is a thing in texas but I've always gotten worse mpg in winter. 

It can drop mpg. Wider tread depth and added weight for sure reduce mpg, then think about tread pattern. The duelers are more for a highway tread with some offroad ability.

How much it drops is tough to say but some for sure.

Was this the same path that you previously traveled and got 22 mpg on?

What tire did you put on? The tread patterns absolutely play a role in fuel economy. I have Michelin Fuel Savers and being Michelins, they wear like iron. But even from brand new with the little rubber nipples all over, from the side, they looked like they were already slicks. One of my buddies saw it and said "I think you need some new shoes on your truck."

Not a chance, the treads were still so deep! They were designed how they are for maximizing efficiency.

You did enlarge the contact patch, but that's only a small piece of the story.

Are you using enough air in them? I would use anything between 35-38 psi. Your door sticker pressure doesn't matter anymore, you changed the tires out for a different size.

Sent from my SM-J810F using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, HeySkippyDog said:

He said he still has P tires, so not LT.

Sent from my SM-J810F using Tapatalk

I don’t see where he said they were not LT tires, and I have often looked but have never seen a 305/55 20 that wasn’t an LT tire.  I’d love to find one.  

1 hour ago, SILVER SLED said:

I don’t see where he said they were not LT tires, and I have often looked but have never seen a 305/55 20 that wasn’t an LT tire.  I’d love to find one.  

I believe you can get the Nitto Ridge Grappler in a P rated tire in that size. 

Just recently replaced my 295/60/20 Nitto Ridge Grapplers with 285/60/20 KO2’s and have noticed a substantial positive difference in braking and acceleration as well as 1-2 mpg difference in added fuel economy. I lost approximately 6 pounds per tire and with more of an AT Tire tread pattern it’s got less rolling resistance too.

Sent from Above

I DO NOT RECOMMEND THE NITTO RIDGE GRAPPLERS, they’re great the first 10k miles, soon after their sipes start to disappear and you’ll be slipping and spinning very easily.

New, they were smooth and quiet

a6434c139b9749ec6265f7cab20acc95.plist

10-15k miles on them became louder and slipping very easily in the rain as their sipes wouldn’t allow water to exit rather floating instead

5d894191e45e59fcc69a94a195c2a68f.jpg

Notice the sipping isn’t very deep in these tires which gradually disappeared along with comfort and safety in about one years time.

I switched back to KO2’s, their sipping runs straight through the lugs, smoother tires too.

KO2’s, look at these sipes

41da4ee65c9d2be2ceb5d24b5f486afe.jpg

I’ve heard that General Grabber ATP’s and Continental AT’s are pretty good but I’ve never run them. I only run high end tires as my experiences with lower cost tires are no better than stock oem tires. If you don’t OffRoad I’d recommend the Michelin Defender but in a larger size for the tougher look but with excellent road manners and longevity.

Good luck!

Sent from Above

• Like 1

They are ridge Grapplers.  Sorry I forgot to mention that.   They ride and look great.  But I think I'm gonna trade them in on some 275/60r20 bfgs before my month is up at discount tire.  Hope they dont give me a hassle.  

Had several pairs of bfgs back before the KOs and then 2 sets of KOs.  Never had a KO2.  Seen lots of comments on how fast they wear out now so I shied away.   But screw it.  

• Like 1