New General Grabber ATXs

RE1

I got a set of General Grabber ATX tires in LT275/60-20 mounted at discount tire yesterday after my Duratracs became deadly slippery in the wet at 36k miles. 

Exceptional customer service at discount tire, BTW. 

These Generals are made in the USA and appear very well made. Curious to see how they age. 

DBD267D8-B755-4502-876B-6FD9B90EF663.jpeg

6CD232C6-BC35-4DA6-B43B-0EAA5EB8A877.jpeg

Edited by RE1

I put the Grabber ATX 265/70R18 on my stock wheels last winter. From day one they have caused a weird vibration during acceleration that the tire shop can’t figure out. They’ve been balanced several times including a road force balance. They even tried a different set of tires, Cooper Discoverer M+S winter tires, and they had the same strange vibration. The tread block size and spacing at the outer edges of the Coopers was similar to the Generals. At this point, I’m almost convinced the pitch of the tread blocks is causing some weird harmonics that are being transmitted through the driveline. I’ve had 3 other tires, OEM 265/65/18 Goodyear RSA, 275/65/18 Mastercraft Courser AXT, and LT285/65/18 Mastercraft Courser CXT and all of them ran smooth with no vibrations. The RSA and AXT were less aggressive than the Generals and the CXT are more aggressive than the Generals. If I put the CXT back on the vibration goes away. 

Despite the vibration, the Generals are the best tires I’ve driven in the snow. The Mastercraft AXT and Cooper AT3 I’ve had didn’t have near the grip as these Generals. The only downside I see other than the vibration is that the sipes are only half the tread depth. These are the LT265/70/18 Generals next to my LT285/65/18 Mastercraft CXT. 

00940800-8A84-47D2-A9DF-7295272009B1.jpeg

I like the Grabber AT/X tires but they are so much heavier than other tires of the same size.  They have a good reputation so far but there isn't as much customer base as competing tires which have been out years longer so reviews are a bit new to be able to do a true comparison.

53 minutes ago, CKNSLS said:

Noise level on at Interstate speeds?

Nice and quiet. Perfectly balanced. 350 miles on them since Thursday 1/2 when they were mounted. Love them so far. 

Edited by RE1

• 1 month later...