2016 2500HD High Country High Beams and Fog Lights Not Working

So i have a Chevy 2500HD 6.0 High Country, and I was driving the other day and went to turn my high beams on and noticed they would not come on. The light in the dash comes on, and I can hear a click under the hood, but nothing. Replaced the fuse under the hood for the high beams, and changed out the bulbs with new ones, still not working. These are not projector headlights, there are individual bulbs for Lows, Highs, and Fog Lights. So when the high beams did not come on I tried my Fog Lights and nothing. Light in the dash comes on, changed the fuse and nothing. Any ideas on what to try next on this issue. 

Hi Robert0424:

I'm doing a lot of guessing here but here goes:

1) did anyone by chance modify the wiring to make the fog lights stay on with high beams?  Are you the original owner of the vehicle?  If not, and somebody attempted that modification, they may have done it wrong; a mechanically installed diode may be not functioning, partially functioning, installed backward, etc.

2) it could be the high beam relay that's defective.  The instrument cluster indicators likely get their signal (to illuminate) prior to the high amperage side of the relay and therefore are working properly.

If you're not electronically savvy, don't risk adding to the problem.  Cut your losses and "take it in".(the shorts and the dealer, maybe)

Just my thoughts.

All the best.

I am not the original owner but from what I can tell it is all stock with the lights. I have not attempted a light bar, and honestly rarely use these lights but I do live in a heavy wooded area with lots of deer. I bought the truck with 36k miles on it and it now has 42k miles on it so not sure how long the fog lights have been out on it, just know I hit the high beams and nothing, then tried the fog lights.

I think the relay might be the issue, just having a hard time trying to find the thing cause it is not labeled under the hood, or in the door panel fuse areas.

Rob

Download the Upfitters Guide for your truck.  It contains virtually all the electrical stuff you'll ever need.  Start your hunt at:

https://www.gmupfitter.com/files/media/photo/661/2016_LD_FS_CK_PU_100915.pdf

It's a 91MB file so be patient.

The guide is 1617 pages and takes some getting used to but I think it's the right one for your truck.  Page 405 has the master electrical component list so start there. 

All the best.

On 1/6/2020 at 7:06 PM, robert0424 said:

I am not the original owner but from what I can tell it is all stock with the lights. I have not attempted a light bar, and honestly rarely use these lights but I do live in a heavy wooded area with lots of deer. I bought the truck with 36k miles on it and it now has 42k miles on it so not sure how long the fog lights have been out on it, just know I hit the high beams and nothing, then tried the fog lights.

I think the relay might be the issue, just having a hard time trying to find the thing cause it is not labeled under the hood, or in the door panel fuse areas.

Rob

Not sure if you still had the high's selected when trying the fogs, but the fogs won't work with high beams , if it is still factory wiring.