Heat - Back Seat

Taz56

OK, bit of a rant here... LOL

I have a 2019 AT4, I have never been in the back seat before but my daughter is all the time. She complained about the cold the other day so I popped into the back and looked around.

Really disappointed with the rear heat. She is in a car seat (3 years old) so the rear "heated seats" are of no use in this instance. And honestly people in the back should have to reply on the seats, the vents should work better.

It is just 2 vents, nothing else. No hot/cold setting, can't turn it on or off, can't adjust the fan speed. It comes on only when the front console heat is on. If I leave the defrost on and/or the floor heating on but I turn off the center console heat, it turns off the heat in the back. 

The fan pushing the heat out is pathetic, I had the front heat cranked and put my hand in the back and could barely feel anything coming out.

Really disappointed. 

PS: From Canada and it is damn cold here LOL. This week has been in the -30's (-22F) Brrrrrr

3 minutes ago, oldmann said:

lol, the vents are under the seat too.  If you use the heat as a system with the front it works well.

Ride in the back of your truck once, in the cold LOL... I get what you are saying, but it just not seem to work that way. 

It isn't a separate system like the SUV's, the rear vents are fairly useless as it fully depends on what the front is doing. Everyone was complaining about not having them (rear vents) in the previous gens and in reality they make the HVAC system less efficient as it either cools down the heat or warms up the cold air before getting to the back, it is more a placebo effect. Not having a separate blower means the air coming out is just trickling out, not helping much, it is the same in any brand that tries to use the front system for rear vents. The best you can do is manually turn on the floor vent and crank it up some as there are rear vents under the seats (should be still as there always were in previous gens under the front seats), that should help send more heat to the rear or point the two center vents towards the back, close off the rear console vents and turn that up. In the summer that is what works best for cooling. I rode in the back of my dark truck in July in west Texas with the two center vents pointed in the rear of my K2 and had to ask to turn down the air as it was getting cold. Should work the same way with blowing the heat to the back. Good luck, that is some brutally cold air. 

Tyler

Edited by amxguy1970
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, It's Tim said:

It can't be that freakin cold,  perhaps buy the child proper clothing.

Don't be a tool..... The child is properly dressed.

And no-one said anything about the child freezing. I just said she told me she was cold.

And it was chilly in the back. Ever been in -40C weather Tim? If not don't comment on things you don't know.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, It's Tim said:

I think you are confusing "wind chill" with ambient temperature.

It was -20F (-28C) actual temperature here during the infamous polar vortex, so yea.

No, not confusing it. All week has been in the high -20's or low -30's. 

it was -32C when I left the house this morning before the windchill. (-39 with windchill)

Either way, no need to talk about my parenting as that is NOT relevant to the post at all. 

Take care.

Edited by Taz56

It can't be that freakin cold,  perhaps buy the child proper clothing.
Don't be stupid and put a child in a car seat in a big jacket!!!! In a crash it can kill them. Big no no to put them in thick jackets etc... in car seats! I do have three children with two in car seats in the back of my 2018.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Just now, Praedator said:

Don't be stupid and put a child in a car seat in a big jacket!!!! In a crash it can kill them. Big no no to put them in thick jackets etc... in car seats! I do have three children with two in car seats in the back of my 2018.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

I think Tim was being a keyboard hero earlier. Heart was in the right place but talking through a computer screen in his comfy chair about something he knows nothing about. And if he does know, WOW, he's got it wrong.

anyways, back to my post..... I hate the rear heat in the truck LOL

just curious,  have you checked to see if something is obstructing the vent tubing?  I only ask because mine seem to blow air at a reasonably high volume,  not as strong as the front,  but much better than the "trickle" you mentioned.

If I had to guess I would say if the front is on high fan speed the rear would feel like it was on half or slightly better than half speed.   (again, thats just a guess I'm not using a flow meter)

6 minutes ago, wizard4878 said:

just curious,  have you checked to see if something is obstructing the vent tubing?  I only ask because mine seem to blow air at a reasonably high volume,  not as strong as the front,  but much better than the "trickle" you mentioned.

If I had to guess I would say if the front is on high fan speed the rear would feel like it was on half or slightly better than half speed.   (again, thats just a guess I'm not using a flow meter)

I did not. Truck is only 5 months old I did not think that would be the case but a valid point and something to check for sure. 

Thanks