Is my 2011 GMC SIERRA SLT 6.2L capable of adding AFM?

Yeah, you could but it would not be worth the cost if you ask me.

Buying new OEM parts, which is the only way to do this would cost you a large sum of money.

We are talking a new camshaft, new lifters, new lifter trays, new pushrods, new head gaskets, new VLOM valley plate with AFM/DoD solenoids and lots more nickel and dime stuff. Some of these parts carry a high price tag because you only want to run new GM parts.

If we break it down further, you also need a tune and you are now adding parts to an engine that may make it more problem prone. Think of how many gallons of fuel it would take to recover the cost of this change. I'd guess you'd only gain 1-2mpg.

The L9H 6.2 without AFM/DoD is a highly sought engine because it has non of the normal AFM/DoD issues.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CamGTP said:

Yeah, you could but it would not be worth the cost if you ask me.

Buying new OEM parts, which is the only way to do this would cost you a large sum of money.

We are talking a new camshaft, new lifters, new lifter trays, new pushrods, new head gaskets, new VLOM valley plate with AFM/DoD solenoids and lots more nickel and dime stuff. Some of these parts carry a high price tag because you only want to run new GM parts.

If we break it down further, you also need a tune and you are now adding parts to an engine that may make it more problem prone. Think of how many gallons of fuel it would take to recover the cost of this change. I'd guess you'd only gain 1-2mpg.

The L9H 6.2 without AFM/DoD is a highly sought engine because it has non of the normal AFM/DoD issues.

Yea I figured that...thanks for all the info

2 hours ago, riverbanks said:

Interesting,everybody and their brother would rather not have it,but you want it,why are people not buying the vehicle they want?

Haha...life is hectic and when theres a baby otw you need honest dealerships to slow you down and not trick you into vehicles

12mpg just ain't cuttin it...but not having one single problem outta the truck for 2yrs is hard to argue with...especially since my last truck was the GMC Canyon with that sorry ass five cylinder in it and I have problems with constantly 

Add AFM to gain fuel economy?  Not gonna happen.  Fuel economy on my '10 Sierra was actually better AFTER deleting the AFM BS than it was with the AFM.  With AFM, I was getting 16-17 mpg on a constant basis.  After deleting, I got 18-19 regularly, with the same driving patterns.

Daniel-  You do NOT want AFM believe me. Just be gentle on the accelerator, remember you have a truck, and stop worrying about fuel economy.  Focus on enjoying the truck.  Get a second job if finances are tight. 

• Like 1

On 1/17/2020 at 9:58 PM, CamGTP said:

12mpg is bad.

Do you drive 90mph everywhere or have it lifted with heavy ass tires?

Those trucks should be rated around 18-20 on the freeway with 14-15 combined I thought.

Well I don't drive slow like I should but more like 50 or 60...lol

No lift and I'm back to factory tires...also have a bed cover and a cheap cold air intake...spectre I think it was

On 1/17/2020 at 5:51 PM, Daniel Payne said:

Just an FYI, I'm hunting while I post this and will add more info later...lol

But is it possible for me to add the ability for my truck to turn off 4 cylinders when needed to increase MPG?

Stop sniffing your bullets!  You don't want AFM, you've got the best truck LS engine out there.  Trading reliability for mpgs is not such a good trade off.  Government regulations forced GM to use that system but once in our hands, we don't have to.  Keeping your rig in top shape and a good tune will maximize her efficiency.  Most folks gain MPGs after a tune and turning off AFM.

So more importantly, what are you hunting and did you get a shot off yet?

Just an idea, but for the same money $2-4k you could pick up a Honda Civic or Toyota Corolla and get 34mpg when you drive it.

Save the truck for the days you really want power and the car would be more reliable than AFM.