Happy Birthday to me, 3500HD officially ordered!

Got a call yesterday from my dealer -- my order is going in next Thursday, should be at 2000 by weekend, maybe 3000 with TPW a week later (TPW maybe 2nd week of March), delivery mid to late April -- all just guesses but maybe close -- either way, should have it for camping season.   2020 Duramax Denali DRW Black.

• Like 1

No, they don't know for sure but I am going thru this process with my 2020 Corvette order and I get tons of info from a great Corvette forum. 

My dealer got an allocation for my C8 on Dec 12th, and they put the order in as soon as they could which was on Thursday, Dec 19th in the morning.

I checked back that afternoon and it showed as code 2000 by then, but I am pretty sure it is almost immediate when it goes to 2000 after the order is entered, but within 3 days for sure.

When I checked on Dec 31st, it was at code 3000 and was assigned a TPW of Mar 2nd.

The TPW date is a 1 week range (Mar 2nd to 7th) that the vehicle rolls off the line completed, which can be any day of that week.

From there, it goes by truck transport to a central rail yard (2 to 3 days).

Then on the train for 6 or 7 days to another rail yard.

Back on the transport for a 2 to 3 day ride to the dealership.

These numbers are estimates gleaned from typical deliveries that the Corvette guys have experienced, so they are probably fairly close, but of course things can happen out of the ordinary that extends the process out.

The TPW is the Monday of the build week so I am ball-parking it as one month between rolling off the line (lets say Mar 2nd) and arriving at the dealership at the earliest, but I give it a couple extra weeks, just for my sanity!

One wildcard is how long between the day you find out your TPW and your  actual TPW which could vary greatly, depending on how GM is deciding to put the builds into bunches for efficiency (like doing a 2 week stretch of all duallies or a 3 week stretch of all black 4WD LTZ's or any other combo).

So, if they have entered your order, get them to print out a copy of your order from the GM Workbench which will show your event code at 2000 if they have matched your Preliminary Order to one of their allocations. If it only shows code 1100, you do not have a vehicle on order. I am not sure if I mentioned this to you before but you must make sure your Preliminary order at 1100 is showing an Order Type as "SRE: Retail Sold" and not "TRE: Retail Stock" -- this factoid alone can get you your truck 2 months earlier.

I know, this is lots of info but I hope it helps.

Fire away if you have more questions & good luck!

So, if they have entered your order, get them to print out a copy of your order from the GM Workbench which will show your event code at 2000 if they have matched your Preliminary Order to one of their allocations. If it only shows code 1100, you do not have a vehicle on order. I am not sure if I mentioned this to you before but you must make sure your Preliminary order at 1100 is showing an Order Type as "SRE: Retail Sold" and not "TRE: Retail Stock" -- this factoid alone can get you your truck 2 months earlier.

I know, this is lots of info but I hope it helps.

Fire away if you have more questions & good luck!

Thanks for all the info!! I appreciate it.

I was told they placed the order on 1/18, on the 19th they gave me a copy of the order workbench which showed it being at an 1100 event code and yes it’s set as SRE: Retail Sold. (See attached).

However, anytime I’ve checked in with the dealer or online chat they tell me it’s at 1100 still.

45bcbf0515eaf8a74b157bd91a761c0a.png

So, with your order being at 1100, that means that GM is recognizing that a preliminary order was entered into Workbench and it has still not been matched to an allocation by your dealer. We are assuming the dealer did actually get an allocation but that might not be the case. Some dealers get you to come in to finalize your build, then enter in your prelim order in anticipation of allocations being allotted within the next week or so. You have to confirm that with them, that they did actually match it to an allocation -- if they have, then it is in GM's hands and your dealer should be contacting them to find out why it hasn't gone to 2000.

Hopefully you get some action soon.

So, with your order being at 1100, that means that GM is recognizing that a preliminary order was entered into Workbench and it has still not been matched to an allocation by your dealer. We are assuming the dealer did actually get an allocation but that might not be the case. Some dealers get you to come in to finalize your build, then enter in your prelim order in anticipation of allocations being allotted within the next week or so. You have to confirm that with them, that they did actually match it to an allocation -- if they have, then it is in GM's hands and your dealer should be contacting them to find out why it hasn't gone to 2000.
Hopefully you get some action soon.

Thanks, I reached out to my sales lady to get some further info and ask what’s going on since it hasn’t updated.

She said she talked to the manager and he spoke with the GM rep this morning to try to get it pushed up in priority. I dunno if that’s true or not, or if that’s possible, but hopefully I’ll see some activity on the order soon.

18 hours ago, FirstAscent said:

Thanks for all the info!! I appreciate it.

I was told they placed the order on 1/18, on the 19th they gave me a copy of the order workbench which showed it being at an 1100 event code and yes it’s set as SRE: Retail Sold. (See attached).

However, anytime I’ve checked in with the dealer or online chat they tell me it’s at 1100 still.

45bcbf0515eaf8a74b157bd91a761c0a.png

How do you obtain this copy of the order workbench?  I ordered my AT4 on Jan 28 and a week later my dealer called and told me my TPW was March 2.  I live in Western Canada.

How do you obtain this copy of the order workbench?  I ordered my AT4 on Jan 28 and a week later my dealer called and told me my TPW was March 2.  I live in Western Canada.

Wow that’s actually pretty fast! I originally asked my sales lady to send me a copy of the order so I could verify all the options I wanted were there. She took a photo of this and sent it to me.

2 hours ago, Sniperdan said:

I’m in Western Canada as well. Ask your dealer to give you a printout of the Order Workbench. I was able to get mine. 

Edited by cdnSpinalTap

after really checking out some 2500 hd lately …...you guys are so lucky

chevy 2500 and 3500 is best looking truck on market, they really nailed styling, front end on this thing....absolutely best looking truck I think ive ever seen.....I just bought 2019 1500 but doesn't compare to 2020 2500.....RAM and Ford don't even come close with their  pointy noses.....enjoy them!

• Like 1

@Dunn I agree haha, I love the look of the new Chevy HD's! and I liked the 2019+ 1500's as well.

So I had a voicemail from my dealer with an update on my build because I've been asking them to try and see what's going on with my order and why it's taking so long. They said the reason it's taking so long is due to the combination of options/features I selected and they "aren't making those yet" referring to the specific combination of options. .

I definitely selected a lot of options/packages but still nothing I haven't seen on lots before but maybe in a different color. I'm going to see if they can find out what option/package is causing the hold up. If they are able to pinpoint what it is then maybe I can select a different option instead. Who knows.

I don't know how much truth is to those factory build videos on YouTube where Chevrolet was talking about the process and how their facility allows them to build basically any truck in any order, they could have a chevy 2500 and then a GMC 2500 directly behind it with no problem...according to the videos I've seen that is haha. I take it with a grain of salt. 

2 hours ago, FirstAscent said:

@Dunn I agree haha, I love the look of the new Chevy HD's! and I liked the 2019+ 1500's as well.

So I had a voicemail from my dealer with an update on my build because I've been asking them to try and see what's going on with my order and why it's taking so long. They said the reason it's taking so long is due to the combination of options/features I selected and they "aren't making those yet" referring to the specific combination of options. .

I definitely selected a lot of options/packages but still nothing I haven't seen on lots before but maybe in a different color. I'm going to see if they can find out what option/package is causing the hold up. If they are able to pinpoint what it is then maybe I can select a different option instead. Who knows.

I don't know how much truth is to those factory build videos on YouTube where Chevrolet was talking about the process and how their facility allows them to build basically any truck in any order, they could have a chevy 2500 and then a GMC 2500 directly behind it with no problem...according to the videos I've seen that is haha. I take it with a grain of salt. 

Something sounds fishy.  Is your dealer a small dealership?  There is an allocation process where larger volume dealers get preferential treatment so it could be that is causing your delay?  Particularly if you are ordering a High Country or Denali, they are blasting those out like crazy.  The AT4's have a much lower allocation rate, I am told they are only building 11% of the trucks as AT4's.  I believe you ordered your truck well before me (I ordered Jan 28) and you still don't have a TPW?  That just doesn't make sense. 

Something sounds fishy.  Is your dealer a small dealership?  There is an allocation process where larger volume dealers get preferential treatment so it could be that is causing your delay?  Particularly if you are ordering a High Country or Denali, they are blasting those out like crazy.  The AT4's have a much lower allocation rate, I am told they are only building 11% of the trucks as AT4's.  I believe you ordered your truck well before me (I ordered Jan 28) and you still don't have a TPW?  That just doesn't make sense. 

Yeah I agree, I’m hoping to get more info when I talk to the manager. I ordered mine on the 18th, there’s at least 3 people who have now confirmed they have TPW’s that ordered weeks after me. Mine is still at 1100.

I think they are a pretty decent size dealership, I wouldn’t consider them small at all.