When you have it in manual mode, the number displayed will be the max gear it will shift up to -- not necessarily the current gear. 

If you use the buttons to 'request' a lower gear than current, it will downshift as soon as the computer calculates it can do so without causing engine overspeed. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, amxguy1970 said:

Does the owners manual not have that in it? 

Tyler

Yes it does.

And it can be downloaded so it's not necessary to get if from the truck....

Also has explanation of what to expect if switched to manual mode while driving.

Edited by redwngr

Thanks Joe,

During lunch I searched the www. and found a site that stated that the setting would be the TOP of the range that the truck would go. However, the truck/transmission could and would operate in any gear between 1 and the upper limit gear as the system feels is needed.

It seems that none of the shift points will change and you cannot force transmission into a particular gear. All that will still be automatic up to the maximum gear to be used.

I cannot see that it would even let me start off in 2nd gear on the ice!? 

comments/observations would be appreciated.

Richard

On my 2015 2500HD 6 spd trans if you have the manual mode in 2nd gear at a stop it will take off in 2nd gear.

Not sure what the newer 8 and 10 speeds do but my 6L90 trans will down shift automatically as needed in manual but will not upshift without  being told to in Manual mode.

as others mentioned, switch to L and use the + or - to select max gear.  These come in handy when going down steep slopes.  I used mine on my Ram when i was coming down from the Coq in British Columbia. Prevents over heating of your brakes. 

8 minutes ago, Richard A said:

Thanks to all responders. 

I understand the highest gear designation believe it could help with downhill.

Is there a way to have the transmission start in second gear to avoid slip on ice?

Richard

I don't think so.

It's an automatic so it will shift down to first gear.

:)

2 hours ago, Richard A said:

Thanks to all responders. 

I understand the highest gear designation believe it could help with downhill.

Is there a way to have the transmission start in second gear to avoid slip on ice?

Richard

2 hours ago, diyer2 said:

I don't think so.

It's an automatic so it will shift down to first gear.

:)

Don't know if all transmissions do this,, but:

Low Traction Mode
If equipped, Low Traction Mode assists in vehicle acceleration when road conditions are slippery, such as with ice or snow.   While the vehicle is at a stop, select L2 using Range Selection Mode. This will limit torque to the wheels and help prevent the tires from spinning. 

Not quite the same as using a manual in 2nd with low engine rpm so available torque is low, but the possibly  a similar result.

• 1 month later...

One thing I use the manual mode is trailer towing. Limiting the highest gear it will go in to prevent lugging the engine. I know you may think that's what Tow/Haul mode is for but to me Tow/Haul is only needed when towing very heavy trailers. When only towing light to moderate weight trailers it winds out the engine/gears way too much.