Buying a Lemon... Yes or No?

ok here's the deal, my local dealership has a 2019 Denali Ultimate onyx black with dark walnut/ash interior... 16,700 miles, listed for $48,970. problem is, its been Lemon Lawed. is there a way to figure out why it was lemoned? I can tell its had the rear window leak 'repaired' the extra silicone blobs are visible... the truck was leased in Bakersfield, CA and then lemoned a year and 4 months later, sent to auction, bought by Billion, and here it sits on the lot in Iowa City. should I consider this truck, or no? the VIN# is 1GTU9FEL2KZ104159 if anyone out there has the ability to dig deeper into it.

2 minutes ago, 19TrailBoss said:

NOOOOO!!! once a lemon, always a lemon. Stay far far away.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I was thinking of trying to get it for $45k out the door with an extended B2B warranty... my guess is they only paid in the 30s for it at auction

Edited by T_Elson15
  • Like 1

Just now, OnTheReel said:

Ask the people here that are trying to get rid of their lemons...think they will probably tell you no.

Doesn’t even sound like a good deal to be honest.

Billion is notorious for overpriced vehicles. I have zero intention of paying anything close to $48k...

8 minutes ago, T_Elson15 said:

ok here's the deal, my local dealership has a 2019 Denali Ultimate onyx black with dark walnut/ash interior... 16,700 miles, listed for $48,970. problem is, its been Lemon Lawed. is there a way to figure out why it was lemoned? I can tell its had the rear window leak 'repaired' the extra silicone blobs are visible... the truck was leased in Bakersfield, CA and then lemoned a year and 4 months later, sent to auction, bought by Billion, and here it sits on the lot in Iowa City. should I consider this truck, or no? the VIN# is 1GTU9FEL2KZ104159 if anyone out there has the ability to dig deeper into it.

Believe they have to disclose to a potential buyer what the problems were.

Second issue, what state was it deemed Lemon Law in? I would check with your states DOL/DMV to make sure what applies as far as remaining warranty and especially extended ones.

You could pony up a few bucks and see if there is a Car Fax history on it.

You could ask a friendly GM dealership to run the VIN and see if they will produce the maintenance records for you. The previous owner went thru the Lemon Law for a certain reason, it is probably a good idea to stay away unless they drop the price more. [Alot more]

• Like 1

Not to mention, if there are gobs of silicone on the rear window they didn't really fix the window. To correctly fix this common issue the entire rear window assembly needs to be replaced. It will leak again if the seam was just filled with silicone.

• Like 1

Just now, T_Elson15 said:

Billion is notorious for overpriced vehicles. I have zero intention of paying anything close to $48k...

Still, the window will most likely leak again (maybe it already does), and other things will likely crop up too.

Usually takes more than just the window to get something bought back, or half of the forum would have lemon-lawed their trucks. The CarFax might list what specifically was done in the service records, but not always.

Either way, safe to assume this is an early build truck that is gonna have every issue in the world. Maybe at 40k I’d be curious, but probably not. No fun to buy a Denali and drive around in a loaner Chevy Trax while it gets fixed again and again.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, 19TrailBoss said:

Not to mention, if there are gobs of silicone on the rear window they didn't really fix the window. To correctly fix this common issue the entire rear window assembly needs to be replaced. It will leak again if the seam was just filled with silicone.

my brother had the rear window TSB done on his 2019 LTZ, and they did the same thing... removed it and goobed it up with extra silicone. same thing they do with the leaky TBL on the previous generation, and the 2G canyon/colorado.

Maybe useful.

$49k is way to much for a lemon car.

Can you get a warranty?

Title is branded for life.

State & Federal Lemon Laws For Vehicle Warranties | Lawyers.com
https://www.lawyers.com/legal-info/consumer-protection/buying-or-leasing-a-car/vehicle-recalls-and-state-lemon-laws.html

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

19 minutes ago, MY164X4 said:

Maybe useful.

$49k is way to much for a lemon car.

Can you get a warranty?

Title is branded for life.

State & Federal Lemon Laws For Vehicle Warranties | Lawyers.com
https://www.lawyers.com/legal-info/consumer-protection/buying-or-leasing-a-car/vehicle-recalls-and-state-lemon-laws.html

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

I'm not sure if you can or not. My step father works very closely with GM, so I'm going to know everything about this truck before I decide to go to the table over it, probably even how much the dealership paid at auction for it. If it's nothing seriously wrong, I may make an offer on it. In California you have 2 shots to repair at dealership, then the manufacturer has a chance to repair, then it can be lemoned. I'm betting it's the botched brakes system recalls that got it lemoned out, if so, I'll probably make an offer on it since they seem to have finally fixed that problem. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Dunn said:

no friggen way, 50k is still lot of coin for headache after headache.....if you do buy it don't come on here bitchin, lol

Theres no way in hell I'd pay anywhere near what they're asking for it. Billion has it listed at $4I over what carfax values it at. I'm going to look at all of the service records and go from there