Buying a Lemon... Yes or No?

1 hour ago, tlaw91 said:

Each recall done must be a service record because it has a lot of recalls.

Only issues were the water leak issues a radio and hood latch

A ‘problem customer’ is my short way of saying they were a customer that does not care to have the issue(s) resolved at that time and instead chooses the buyback route. This customer may have had bad service, does not like the product, no longer feels it is reliable, etc. Or potentially some combo of the three.
It does not in any way refer to the individual themself, only referring to the situation they were in at that time.

The product must be fixed before being resold again, which GM has a process for.

Based on warranty claim history I would feel good buying that truck for a discounted price!

Hope this helps

With the water leak issue, I can see a bunch of the extra silicone goob, is this something I can get re fixed in a more aesthetically pleasing way, or does GM seem the case closed once it's been 'fixed'

2 minutes ago, gearheadesw said:

For me, if someone gave up on a brand new truck because of problems, I don't think I want to find out what those problems are. Just me.

Part of those problems were caused by the strike though. People with all sorts of GM vehicles have had problems with extended stays in the shop due to parts not being available due to the UAW strike. This truck was one of those vehicles. If my truck spent a month in the shop the first year I had it, I'd want the thing gone too. 

• Like 1

Truly not trying to be an ass, but you say that if your truck spent a month in the shop, you'd want it gone. Yet you're ready to buy just exactly that.....

Please, do what you feel is right, just trying to point something out....

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, gearheadesw said:

Truly not trying to be an ass, but you say that if your truck spent a month in the shop, you'd want it gone. Yet you're ready to buy just exactly that.....

Please, do what you feel is right, just trying to point something out....

I get what your saying, but the reason it spent a month in the shop isnt because it was FUBAR. It's because of a union strike. If it spent a month in the shop because they just could not figure out how to fix it or it was unfixable, then I would never consider it. But it spent a month in the shop because they couldn't get the damn part needed to fix it. 

29 minutes ago, T_Elson15 said:

With the water leak issue, I can see a bunch of the extra silicone goob, is this something I can get re fixed in a more aesthetically pleasing way, or does GM seem the case closed once it's been 'fixed'

Don’t worry, it’ll leak again. Then they can pull the window, scratch the hell out of the paint and you can spend a month waiting for parts and a guy to repaint your truck.

Nobody in the 87 page window leak thread would ever buy the truck you’re looking at and half of us can’t wait to get rid of ours. 

Edited by OnTheReel
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, OnTheReel said:

Don’t worry, it’ll leak again. Then they can pull the window, scratch the hell out of the paint and you can spend a month waiting for parts and a guy to repaint your truck.

Nobody in the 87 page window leak thread would ever buy the truck you’re looking at and half of us can’t wait to get rid of ours. 

Is there any way to know which run of trucks were affected by the window leak epidemic, or is it a random scattering of trucks throughout production? My brother has a 19 LTZ 6.2L with the window leak TSB done on it and he hasn't had any further issues since it was done. From what I've learned so far about this lemon truck, is that it went in twice for the window leak, the second time they removed the rear window completely and broke the rear spoiler in the process, which is what it spent 24 days in the shop waiting on... a new rear spoiler...

Edited by T_Elson15

It's all well and good to try to save some coin on a vehicle purchase,, but this is NOT the way to do it. If it was such a brilliant thing to do, someone would have bought it already and lemons would be a hot commodity. 

These are mass produced trucks, there are hundreds of thousands if not millions of them out there by now. You can do much better.,

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, T_Elson15 said:

Is there any way to know which run of trucks were affected by the window leak epidemic, or is it a random scattering of trucks throughout production? My brother has a 19 LTZ 6.2L with the window leak TSB done on it and he hasn't had any further issues since it was done. From what I've learned so far about this lemon truck, is that it went in twice for the window leak, the second time they removed the rear window completely and broke the rear spoiler in the process, which is what it spent 24 days in the shop waiting on... a new rear spoiler...

It was primarily an early build thing...I say primarily because even 2020s are still having the same problem.

If you can see the sealant, they must have done a sloppy job at best, or it’s residual mess from the first failed attempt. Either way it’s not ideal and nothing I would ever buy into. Personally, I am trading on the refreshed model as soon as it’s available because I could never trust my 2019 without a factory warranty...there’s just too much stuff that has already gone wrong, been touched and messed with by incompetent techs, etc. This Denali is the same thing, but worse because it’s a lemon on CarFax to boot.

If you’re the guy that’s gonna keep a vehicle more than a couple years, drop a trim level and buy the latest built 2020 you can find for the same money. This Denali is just not a sensible option.

8 hours ago, T_Elson15 said:

No way of knowing. 
just last week I was on the phone with a regional service person / GM brand quality manager and I was told ‘there is no VIN break’ regarding the window, ie;they have not changed manufacturing process one bit regarding the window defect since the original production run. 

what a joke. 

Granted this is more money (6k more than what they asking for that lemon) but a year newer with the potential for a lot less headaches.

Brand new.

Potentially more discounts (especially if you have a GM card).

https://www.laurabuickgmc.com/VehicleDetails/new-2020-GMC-Sierra_1500-Crew_Cab_Short_Box_4_Wheel_Drive_Denali-Collinsville-IL/3581631613

As far as buying a lemon.  No.

• Like 1

I have a lemon I'm trying to get rid of now.

I'm trying to think what I would "pay" for my truck if it was on the lot right now - and honest - no BS - There's no way in f**k I'd pay one dime over $20k. Then - maybe - then it might be worth it.

As far as the "is there any way to tell which ones are affected" - They are ALL affected. All of them can get the leak at any given moment. It was never "this one came off the line with the leak, this one didn't...."

The leak is caused by the plastic frame around and against the glass and in between the urethane. At any given moment - a bump in the road, temperature, ice buildup, anything can cause that plastic frame to crack - and bam, you got a leaker.

21 hours ago, OnTheReel said:

This is spot on as I am also part of that 87 page thread. But like many others have said it seems like the OP is looking for someone to validate the decision he’s already made. Buy it! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, KevinTM said:

This is spot on as I am also part of that 87 page thread. But like many others have said it seems like the OP is looking for someone to validate the decision he’s already made. Buy it! 

Nope I'm not buying it, I found another one that's cheaper, same exact specs, not a lemon, and no reported recall issues for a leaky window, albeit has a few more miles...

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, T_Elson15 said:

Nope I'm not buying it, I found another one that's cheaper, same exact specs, not a lemon, and no reported recall issues for a leaky window, albeit has a few more miles...

Perfect! My reverse psychology worked lol. Post pics when you get it

• Haha 1