Are you running Michelin Defender?

I have Goodyear Wrangler STAs and it is time to get new tires. After much research on this site and others as suggested, I decided on Michelin Defender LTXs. I then called the local tire shops and both owners told me that those tires are great highway tires but are absolute junk in any kind of inclement weather. Does anyone here have those that could offer some advice? I will mostly be on the highway but I want something that can handle the snow decently since I am a Fire Fighter and work 24 hour shifts regardless of the weather. 

Thanks

They are great overall tires. for firefighting i would think you might want something with a little more meat Michelin A/T2 are also good(not the best) for hwy. 

I know my next set of tire for my truck will be defenders. I work at Americas tire and see defenders with 60-100k miles on them. 

• Like 1

I have Goodyear Wrangler STAs and it is time to get new tires. After much research on this site and others as suggested, I decided on Michelin Defender LTXs. I then called the local tire shops and both owners told me that those tires are great highway tires but are absolute junk in any kind of inclement weather. Does anyone here have those that could offer some advice? I will mostly be on the highway but I want something that can handle the snow decently since I am a Fire Fighter and work 24 hour shifts regardless of the weather. 

Thanks

Great highway/street tires, you’ll need to look for something with snow rating, Defenders are not for snow. Being that you’re looking for highway/street style tires I’m assuming you’re wanting to keep as close to your current mpg’s as possible. There are a few AT’s out there with snowflakes on them but will definitely be heavier tires. The defenders are definitely an awesome tire but you can’t have both in a tire without compromising especially coming from the horrible SRA’s.

Sent from Above

Have them on our 16 Tahoe, head and shoulders much better tire than the factory Bridgestone's that came on it.

So far, they have been in any type of weather Washington state has to offer and done great, went really well in the snow last year.

But, I would not consider them anything other than an A/T type tire at best is you are planning to go off road. They are more suited for street use.

Edited by JimCost2014

I have them on my 2000 Sierra.  Great tire.  I use that truck for mostly bad weather driving and in Denver, that means lots of snow and ice.  They work just fine.  I've never been stuck with them.  They now have over 60k on them and they still work well, but this will be their last winter.  They don't look agressive at all but they drive very well and have never let me down.  I bought the LT version, not the P metric.

• Like 1