LT vs P rated tires

My manager’s demo model truck that I bought, 2019 Sierra Elevation, came with BFG KO2, LT275/65R20’s.  They have a load range E.  This truck also has the Max Trailering package.

So far I’m very impressed with the overall performance of the tire.  Haven’t ventured off-road at all but everything else I’ve thrown at them, heavy rain and snow they've performed flawlessly.

Biggest complain would be the harsh ride including the rear end bouncing around hitting bumps.  My 2007 Silverado Z71 definitely had a softer ride on P rated tires.

99% of the time I’m not carrying a large load but I do have a 5000lb empty 24’TT I will occasionally pull.

Would you guys say even with my TT are the E rated tires overkill?

I like the looks of the 275/65 tires and how they fill the wheel well but it seems like 275/65’s you’re into an LT, load E tire.

Thoughts?

I’m not not going to change tires anytime soon and just drive the truck, but I will definitely be looking at this down the road.

I’m also sure the heavy tires and harsh ride can’t be the greatest for our 1/2 ton trucks, suspension, ball joints etc either?

Don't really need the E's, but since they're already there.....

I pull a 6K TT with the P's and it's just fine.  I wouldn't mine E's for the overkill, but I'm not going to needlessly fork over 1k just because.  

I do not think so. I have KO2’s LT 275/60R-20’s on mine and I love them. Mine are load range D. Ran the similar tire in 18’s on my 2011 in load E for 8 years and loved them. If you tow any the LT tire are much stronger and safer. You have a great tire!

Edited by Snuff

Overkill. P rated is just fine. The only real reason to run an E or LT tire is looks or if you go off road with the chance of rocks or thorns to damage a tire. Otherwise any factory rated or better p rated tire will handle as much towing as your truck can handle. I have never understood people that throw on these super heavy hard tires that never leave the pavement. I like the look but there are some p rated options. 

• Like 1

That rear end bouncing around may not be the E-rated tires, but more how the 19s behave. Mine is the same with C rated tires and does it as well. My other older trucks with the E rated does not.

I head out hundreds of miles into no cell service range often and usually always run E's just for the piece of mind. There are lots of sharp rocks here. I have never had a flat in 8 years other than a slow rim leak here and there , but come across guys with P- rated tires steady with flats, even one guy that had 2 at once. I'm sure D range is plenty, but not as many options as E. I have had flats with C's as well

• Like 1

My 14,16 and 18 had the same issues, swapped shocks out to Bilsteins and tremendous difference. Is you’re truck leveled by the dealership or any other suspension mods?

Sent from Above

Not planning any hardcore off road adventures anytime soon.  Just the odd dirt road I suppose with the TT.

Also occasionally pull into a construction site for work but that’s about it.

I’m a fan of the AT “Look” especially the KO2 look even though it isn’t really what I need.

At least I’m not one of those guys running around on MT tires on baller mags! Lol.

I work occasionally with a guy who has an F150 Platinum.  He put BFG MT tires on it.  There is absolutely no way he will ever take it off road.  This dude brings a change of clothes to work so he doesn’t need to jump into his truck with “dirty” work clothes...buddy it’s a truck lol.

I’ll have these current KO2’s for awhile yet as they basically still look brand new if after 16,000 km on them!

I’ll deal with the bumpy ride for now but will probably “downgrade” the tires a bit for my next set.

Shame there isn’t anything out there in a 275/65R20 that is P rated.

Still haven’t pulled the TT yet so that will be the real test.  My last truck tend to feel really “floaty” with the TT hooked up.

1 minute ago, TXGREEK said:

My 14,16 and 18 had the same issues, swapped shocks out to Bilsteins and tremendous difference. Is you’re truck leveled by the dealership or any other suspension mods?

Sent from Above

Yes I also have a front levelling kit installed.

Truck came that way.

I say you really don't need the E rated tire.  It will add to a harsher ride for sure due to it's construction.  I have the Michelin LXT M/S2, this is before they came out with the Defenders.  Mine are E rated as well  and it does ride harder but I don't mind, it's a truck.  I do haul some weight now and then and like the fact that the tires are able to handle the load.

• Like 1

You will find many similar discussions on this forum.  I actually switched my way of thinking on this topic within the past ten years.  LT rated tires add a lot of unnecessary unsprung weight.   Heavier tires have a placebo feeling of a some invulnerability but I now get the same feeling from my modern P rated tires.  Tire construction has improved considerably over the past few decades. Some of our previous reference points no longer apply ? 

13 minutes ago, Black02Silverado said:

I say you really don't need the E rated tire.  It will add to a harsher ride for sure due to it's construction.  I have the Michelin LXT M/S2, this is before they came out with the Defenders.  Mine are E rated as well  and it does ride harder but I don't mind, it's a truck.  I do haul some weight now and then and like the fact that the tires are able to handle the load.

I put the same LT tire on my '09 after riding for years on the same in a P rated version.  The only difference I noticed was at the gas pump.  Riding with 32 psi kept the ride smooth.   I am now riding on Defenders P rated tires. I pull a TT and have driven on some marginal roads with little or no cell service.   The load rating of the P rated version comfortably exceeds the ratings of my truck.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, madconcept said:

Shame there isn’t anything out there in a 275/65R20 that is P rated

Nitto Terra Grappler G2 is made in this size. I have run these tires off and on for almost 20 years. Been very happy with them. Not as aggressive as some others but a lot more than stock. Don't weigh as much as a LT and ride much better.  

Yes I also have a front levelling kit installed.
Truck came that way.

That may be the cause, leveled trucks ride like crap, much rougher than stock. It’ll cost you about $150 for the two rear Bilstein 5100’s and lower your tire pressure down a bit which “WILL” make a world of difference. Also, check to see what size block was added to the rear if any cause if not and you like the stance then you’ll be doing 4600’s (stock height) instead of the 5100’s which are designed for up to a two inch lift.

Sent from Above