Old school short bed regular cab 4x4

Lets be real, if the demand was there they would build it.  Good friend has been a GMC salesman and asst manager for over 30 yrs and I talked to him a while back about how you don't see the short box reg cab anymore. He says, they don't sell.  Very few are going to pay $40k for one when they can get a cc or dc for darn near the same price and better resale value.  Said they had one 2020 model and it sat for 10 months and not one serious customer.  They finally sold it to a local road commission based solely on the lowest price truck they purchase for their construction density inspector.   They did not even order the truck for stock, GMC forced them to take one (among other less popular reg cabs) to get more allocation for hot sellers like CC's and Denali's. 

PS-rumors are they are pulling the plug on the Camaro after the 2022 model year due to declining sales. The Impala is gone for the same reason, they don't sell enough to make a profit.  GM is beholding to shareholders to make money.

GM has said Camaro will be done in 2023

Ryan B.
  • Sad 1

full disclosure- I think RCSB full size trucks look cool.  But we live in a different day and age now.  And THAT SUCKS that the Camaro is being discontinued :(  (again) But what can you do, there are now turbocharged 4 cylinder engines that are just as fast as the V8s and the younger gen are not for the muscle cars. 

GM got rid of large rear drive cars to convert the plant to making P/Us. More profits. The impala was popular at the time. Especially in fleet sales. People were convinced to buy the boxes with a hole in the back. The big three went laughing to the bank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sadly more than likely gone for ever in american market . GM has convinced 98.9 % of population they do not want them. Four full doors dripping with all the candy inside and out. Keep the bed short so I can park it at store or mall. Big tires and a lift will make me feel much better too. Thank you GM marketing team I was in such turmoil about truck until you gave me some therapy. Now that my head is on straight i will take that Denali....

• Like 1

Sadly more than likely gone for ever in american market . GM has convinced 98.9 % of population they do not want them. Four full doors dripping with all the candy inside and out. Keep the bed short so I can park it at store or mall. Big tires and a lift will make me feel much better too. Thank you GM marketing team I was in such turmoil about truck until you gave me some therapy. Now that my head is on straight i will take that Denali....

Me I’d buy a big 4 door rear drive car that’s a great cruiser gets good gas mileage. Doesn’t wonder all over the road when it’s windy or passing a semi. And have enough money leftover to buy a nice used truck with the money I saved. Like in my sig. And I did.

12 hours ago, KARNUT said:

GM got rid of large rear drive cars to convert the plant to making P/Us. More profits. The impala was popular at the time. Especially in fleet sales. People were convinced to buy the boxes with a hole in the back. The big three went laughing to the bank.

Actually, by 1996 when the Caprice/Impala SS, Roadmaster, Fleetwood, and Cutlass Cruiser were discontinued in order to convert the Arlington, TX plant over to build SUVs/Trucks, sales were extremely low. 

1996 Production:

Caprice-  46,261  (90% law enforcement)

Impala SS- 41,941 (Very impressive jump from only 20,000 or so the year before, in 1995)

Fleetwood-  10,200

Custom Cruiser-  Discontinued after 1992 which sold only 4300 (These were station wagons)

Roadmaster- 22,989

Production Numbers of the Impala starting in 2000

2000        174,358
2001 208,395
2002 198,918
2003 267,882
2004 290,259
2005 246,481
2006 289,868 (Change over to 9th Generation)
2007 311,128
2008 265,840
2009 165,565
2010 172,078
2011 171,434
2012 169,351
2013 156,797
2014 140,280 (Change over to 10th Generation)
2015 116,825
2016 97,006
2017 75,877
2018 56,556
2019 44,978

What sucks is that the plant where the newer Impala was made, the Oshawa Car Assembly Plant was world class and won many awards.  And GM had the guts to shut it down and convert it.  What a damn shame.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oshawa_Car_Assembly

Actually, by 1996 when the Caprice/Impala SS, Roadmaster, Fleetwood, and Cutlass Cruiser were discontinued in order to convert the Arlington, TX plant over to build SUVs/Trucks, sales were extremely low. 

1996 Production:
Caprice-  46,261  (90% law enforcement)
Impala SS- 41,941 (Very impressive jump from only 20,000 or so the year before, in 1995)
Fleetwood-  10,200
Custom Cruiser-  Discontinued after 1992 which sold only 4300 (These were station wagons)
Roadmaster- 22,989

Production Numbers of the Impala starting in 2000

2000        174,358
2001 208,395
2002 198,918
2003 267,882
2004 290,259
2005 246,481
2006 289,868 (Change over to 9th Generation)
2007 311,128
2008 265,840
2009 165,565
2010 172,078
2011 171,434
2012 169,351
2013 156,797
2014 140,280 (Change over to 10th Generation)
2015 116,825
2016 97,006
2017 75,877
2018 56,556
2019 44,978

What sucks is that the plant where the newer Impala was made, the Oshawa Car Assembly Plant was world class and won many awards.  And GM had the guts to shut it down and convert it.  What a damn shame.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oshawa_Car_Assembly

The front drive didn’t excite me either. But as you stated when they made the rear drive exciting sales went up. I bought one. Truth is pickups make them more money. I bought a 94 impala ss and a Z28. That’s when cars became exciting and perform again. The 80s thru the 90s the big three was losing sales to foreign makes. They focus on trucks and SUVs. They had no foreign competition. And let rear drive sedans slide.

I get if sales are down on a particular vehicle, whether it’s because GM wants them down or not, and it gets canned. But the fact is that RCSB trucks are being sold overseas, so why not just leave some off the boat and sell them here.  If GM rebates the RCSB trucks as much as they do the other configurations it would probably sell. Like I stated earlier, a few years ago an extended/double cab truck that stickered about 7k more than a RCSB actually sold for less than a RCSB due to the rebates on a double/extended and a lack of rebates on a RCSB.  

I get if sales are down on a particular vehicle, whether it’s because GM wants them down or not, and it gets canned. But the fact is that RCSB trucks are being sold overseas, so why not just leave some off the boat and sell them here.  If GM rebates the RCSB trucks as much as they do the other configurations it would probably sell. Like I stated earlier, a few years ago an extended/double cab truck that stickered about 7k more than a RCSB actually sold for less than a RCSB due to the rebates on a double/extended and a lack of rebates on a RCSB.  

I was a fan of the extended cab. Up to my 2014 that’s what I bought for work. I did have a couple of single cabs. My last one was a Ram. It was fun.

2 hours ago, SILVER SLED said:

Like I stated earlier, a few years ago an extended/double cab truck that stickered about 7k more than a RCSB actually sold for less than a RCSB due to the rebates on a double/extended and a lack of rebates on a RCSB.  

And there you have it. A plan to sink your own ship and blame the customer.

:mad:

When the 10th gen Impala was designed they took away EVERYTHING an Impala was

And sales sagged. Really?

This car use to be a 6 passenger family car that was turned into a 4 seater with four doors and the interior space of a Neon coupe. Car is a joke,,er was...

Downsize cars then make SUV's and Pickups busses

Confusing

Edited by Grumpy Bear

• 2 months later...

Pretty soon the only 1/2 ton truck GM will build is a CCSB. Once they got rid of the RCSB, GM started limiting the Double cab options, no more LTZ, LT Trail Boss, AT4 or SLT in a double cab. Give it a few years and it'll be gone too. 

22 minutes ago, Daly said:

Pretty soon the only 1/2 ton truck GM will build is a CCSB. Once they got rid of the RCSB, GM started limiting the Double cab options, no more LTZ, LT Trail Boss, AT4 or SLT in a double cab. Give it a few years and it'll be gone too. 

Which means I'll be keeping my heavily optioned double cab AT4 for a long time...