Old school short bed regular cab 4x4

On 10/20/2020 at 9:54 AM, Colossus said:

Demand dictates what they will build.  They save money by having standard features in various trims vs ala carte. 

This only works because the public accepts it. 

It's called economic voting.

I navigate with an add blocker. When I visit sites for information I'm often blocked from viewing that site unless I turn my blocker off. Guess how much time I spend there? 

:crackup:

When a manufacture discontinues giving me what I would like to buy from them, I buy nothing from them. I don't kick the dirt and bow lamenting what use to be. I cast an economic vote for what I want it to be. 

If they all tell me to go take a hike then I do without. Just like I did before it was something to want.

Not that hard to do.

• Like 1

I'm 6'4" and the seat in my 2018 Regular cab was moved forward about 3-4 notches, there was plenty of room in the cab. They have the same amount of room as a crew cab and double cab in the fronts. Unless you're driving it around like a 16 year with the seat laid back, but why would you drive a truck like that it's not a car. 

Edited by Daly

• 3 weeks later...

GM claims low sales, and while that's true, there are reasons for that beyond what the market demands.

CAFE - part of the calculations are based on vehicle footprint. The same 5.3L engine is a way worse "hit"  in a small RCSB than a larger CCSB. That give GM corporate incentive to sell fewer of them.

Markups - I bet it's $1-2000 difference in their cost to build them with the extra doors and seats. But they can sell them for a much higher premium than that. So dealerships are incentivized to sell more of those than the smaller trucks.

Rebates - When I bought by RCSB, they barely budged off the price. I paid $42k (Canadian). I tried and tried, and all they kept doing was offering me a similarly equipped double cab for less money. How does that make sense? From a purely financial perspective I was stupid not to take one of those other offers. However I don't want a big truck. 

Trims - if you want the higher trims or nicer options, they force you into a 4-door model. When I bought in 2014, LT Z71 was the highest model you could get. No leather, no touch screen (I think that changed later on), etc. The majority of the two-door trucks of either box length they made were optioned to be cheap work trucks. The 6.2 was unavailable in a regular cab at all.

If GM offered regular cabs at proportional prices to the bigger trucks, with all options available, and similar rebates, they would sell WAY more than the pitiful numbers they point to as justification.

As it stands, THEY STILL BUILD THEM. They are not saving money at all since they still make them for Mexico and the middle east. So the "it costs too much to make small production numbers" is bogus. 

Anyway, I own my 2014 RCSB, and I guess that will be it for me buying new GM trucks. I'll just have to keep mine on the road as long as possible. That was kind of the plan already, but I did plan on buying a new one eventually. 

Edited by jonny24

On 12/30/2020 at 9:42 PM, flyingfool said:

i had the 2000 silverado 5.3 Short cab and it was very Uncomfortable.   

...ever since GM loaded up the trucks with airbags and gizmos the dash became intrusive and cramped

i would feel the same about my K2 if it didnt have the extra cab in back.  man i love that extra room , 

while the shorter Mexicans love the short cabs because it fits them and thier smaller body size. makes sense why they are still sold down there.

Ya do know the seat placement is IDENTICAL and it's range is IDENTICAL...right?

I'm 6'2" at 215 with a 36" inseam and arms to match. 

I rattle around in there like a BB in a 3 pound coffee can. 

So does my 5'11', 380 pound little brother

Lord man, how big are you?

Take a tape measure and you will find you have ALLOT more room in a K2 1500 than you did in a pre 95 C10 without bags

Funny stuff. My wife drives her 2015 Terrain and her Buick Verano  sits in the garage. 

Where does so put everything seat carries in that SUV? In the front cabin.

So now she wants a Suburban because???? 

I need more room! 

(to carry more stuff in the front seat?)

:crackup:

She can hardly reach the pedals in the Verano

:banghead:

no way, the old standard cab was cramped compared to the K2 with extra cab, but not overly so, both have good headroom.  my 2000 silverado's emergency pedal was always hitting my shin when released. dumb design..

but neither is as roomy as my old trusty K5. built like a box inside. good ergonomics, everything was just perfect in the old days. didnt GM run the old square body for like 20 years, my 91 was the last and the best.

Edited by flyingfool

9 hours ago, flyingfool said:

the old standard cab was cramped compared to the K2 with extra cab, but not overly so,

From the back of the cab forward the RC and Extended cabs are identical...year for year. From the drivers perspective they are the same. Put an open school bus behind you seat wont give you more room. Seat rails are identical in location and length. 

If you saying a Gen 3 (73-91), inside is larger than the K2  :lol:  Sit my 2015 next to dads 1989 and his looks like a toy. Both are RC's. In fact the half ton cab is larger than that the Gen 3 3/4 ton. 

I will agree the E-brake release handle was poorly placed. 

Edited by Grumpy Bear

2 hours ago, flyingfool said:

for some reason the K5 blazer just had a preceived roominess the doors openings are more upright and not slanted back as much from the A pillar as modern trucks. not having an extra cab just bothers me now.

Yes the A pillars on the K2 have quite a slant. Aero ? 

On 2/29/2020 at 9:54 AM, MIke Becher said:

Wonder why they are making the cool Chevy short bed regular cab 4x4 and selling it overseas only???  It is so effing cool looking!  If it was in the states I would probably have one next week. I’m driving an 08 short bed right now and love my truck. My family has grown so it is prettty much me, but it hauls everything I want, including friend and neighbor needs, and pulls a 2 axle dump trailer just fine!  It’s sharp and sporty and definitely easier to get around and park in the city!  Maybe even bring back the FULL size 2 door Blazer also. Even if they are order only!  Give me your thoughts peeps!

A lot of what GM is doing right now has to leave you scratching your head!

• 3 weeks later...

There a shops that are starting to do single cab long to short bed conversions.  I know its not the most idea solution but if you want one you can have one.  Importing a vehicle from Mexico or the Middle East seems like a big hassle.  Unfortunately you will be stuck with WT trim options.  I’m dropping off my 2020 single cab next week for the 5’8” bed conversion.

• Like 1