Trailer Camera Package #84580657 (https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/oem-parts/gm-trailering-camera-package-84580657)

I have a 2019 GMC Sierra SLT Premium X31, that has all the trailering camera packages, UVI - TRAILER CAMERA PACKAGE: LEFT & RIGHT SIDE MIRROR CAMERA, TRAILER VIEW CAMERA PROVISIONS, no front camera or rear view mirror camera. It has the 7pin with the two camera ports above it, one for the inside, one for the outside.

I tried hooking up my trailer late last summer when I got the camera, and it didn’t work then, but then we had winter so I thought I’d wait since the trailer was all stowed. I had to hook my trailer up this weekend and thought I’d at least hook up the trailer view camera just to see how it operated, BEFORE going through mounting and installing it on my trailer. With the truck off, trailer hooked up, a 2018 R-Pod with 7pin, I plugged in the trailer view camera, then started the truck and selected my trailer. Nothing else popped up, toggling through the camera views, the one for the trailer view is just black. I have the correct camera and RPO code on my truck, but it doesn’t seem to detect the camera.

Following all the instructions, I should see a picture, but don’t, just a black screen where the trailer camera should be. I also spent 6 hours at the local GMC dealer for them to troubleshoot it, they don’t have a clue, after all that time, even trying on another truck like mine, no luck. I told them that “I think”, from everything I read, you must have a 7 pin trailer hooked up for it to power that port, but they were not hooking up a trailer that whole time, but hey, they’re the dealer, they must know what they are doing, even though they didn’t know that trailer camera existed. 

I would say that it’s a defective camera, or a defective port on the truck. But either way, you would think the dealer would have a clue? they now want me to bring my truck in and leave it with them this week, of course “we don’t need the trailer” is what they told me. Any advice ? I’m about ready to take it to the Chevy dealer, who seems to have a much better grasp on this “new fangled technology” (dealer words from the service manager). This is the dealer tha5 told me to call OnStar to get the update for my Infotainment system ?

Any advice?

I'm pretty sure a trailer has to be hooked up to the 7 pin connector for the trailer camera to work. Haven't bought the trailer camera yet for my truck. Ordered one when I got the new truck and was shocked when it was gonna be $500+ so i passed

• 3 weeks later...

Joe - I have the 2019 Sierra 1500 SLT max trailer and it came with a camera (matched to my VIN and all).  I've had the same issue.  just a black screen.  I had the camera replaced under warranty and I'm still having the same issue.  It's never shown anything.  Curious if you ever got yours working?  I've let the truck go to sleep as mentioned in several post and in the instructions but I still cannot get it to work.  Very frustrated with this.  Would love for someone to figure out what is causing this in the half tons.  

I have the camera system in my 2019 GMC 2500HD Denali duramax, the trailer has to be connected and the lights have to be on for my trailer camera to work. The trailer camera has to have constant 12v power to work and mine is supplied through the light circuit. I later added the front camera, you only need the add-on camera ($200) if you have the camera system installed, not the expensive ($580) complete front camera system.

Edited by Hogdooz
Added info.

On 3/29/2020 at 7:07 PM, CampDad33 said:

Joe - I have the 2019 Sierra 1500 SLT max trailer and it came with a camera (matched to my VIN and all).  I've had the same issue.  just a black screen.  I had the camera replaced under warranty and I'm still having the same issue.  It's never shown anything.  Curious if you ever got yours working?  I've let the truck go to sleep as mentioned in several post and in the instructions but I still cannot get it to work.  Very frustrated with this.  Would love for someone to figure out what is causing this in the half tons.  

Sorry for some reason I never saw this reply. Thanks for it, makes me not feel as bad. No, have not gotten it to work, still waiting for the dealer to get the replacement in. I will let you know.

50 minutes ago, Hogdooz said:

I have the camera system in my 2019 GMC 2500HD Denali duramax, the trailer has to be connected and the lights have to be on for my trailer camera to work. The trailer camera has to have constant 12v power to work and mine is supplied through the light circuit. I later added the front camera, you only need the add-on camera ($200) if you have the camera system installed, not the expensive ($580) complete front camera system.

Thanks Hogdooz, appreciate your comment, I will give that a try. I am not sure about the front camera, you talking about the one that is in the grill?

35 minutes ago, Walla Walla Joe said:

Sorry for some reason I never saw this reply. Thanks for it, makes me not feel as bad. No, have not gotten it to work, still waiting for the dealer to get the replacement in. I will let you know.

The camera model I have is GM: #84580657

3 hours ago, Walla Walla Joe said:

Thanks Hogdooz, appreciate your comment, I will give that a try. I am not sure about the front camera, you talking about the one that is in the grill?

Yes, In the grill.  I really like how it mounted in and the view it gives me.

I just tried the camera again, with the lights on, no joy. After thinking about it, when the dealer had it in messing with it, it was in the shop with the lights on (albeit with NO TRAILER ATTACHED), but I was hopeful. I think they FINALLY have have the correct camera in (even though I specifically gave them the part #) so I’ll try it tomorrow after I go get it. ??

Hogdooz - I think even though our trucks are the same year, I could be wrong but I think the HD in the new style (like mine) didn’t come until a 2020 model, so I think they maybe different. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Edited by Walla Walla Joe
Added text

The dealer called me Friday and said that GM has changed the part number for #84580657 several times and he just got notice that GM won’t even let them order a replacement because there isn’t a part # yet. So I’m not sure I’ll ever see this work with my truck (and won’t see that $450+ again) ?

• 4 weeks later...

I finally received the replacement camera, with not very high hopes. Took it home, tried connecting these different ways, all with the truck OFF (and OnStar light off)

1. Plugged in the camera to the RIGHT camera port (as the left one has a different plug)
  2. Plugged in the trailer 7-pin
  3. Powered on the truck
  4. Selected the trailer
  5. Nothing happens, trailer is connected, tire pressure readings all show up
  6. Run through the light check, during that check, it (I assume) goes through all the lights, then briefly will flash (whichever the last camera view was enabled) for maybe 2-3 seconds, then goes back to the light check list in progress screen. Will loop like that forever. If I select the trailer camera view, which is black, it will flash that black screen during the light check. Without the camera connected, it DOES NOT display a camera view during the light check. So, something is making the truck partially detect something...

I have also reversed the plugging in the camera, 7-pin, etc. all the different ways I could think of. Hooked up my old trailer camera, it did the same exact thing, which I never did the trailer light test before with the camera attached.

So, now it is onto talking to the dealer, they are TOTALLY clueless. Blaming it all on "new fangled contraptions" and that since it is an accessory, they cannot do anymore. I insisted that it must be the connection (or something on the truck) since two cameras do the same thing. They are ordering a trailer tester contraption unit so they can test the ports. So hopefully next week I should know something.

Why does it have to be this difficult? You have to "convince" the dealer to deal with THEIR products!

Here is my personal experience and hope that it helps.  I have a 2019 GMC 1/2 Ton so I can't say for sure on other trucks.  Plug in the camera and turn on the truck and it will show up on your screen.  You do not need a trailer plugged in.  I unboxed mine at the dealership and plugged it in without a trailer to make sure that it was working.  If it is not working there are a couple of things to check.  First make sure that there is a "wire" plugged into the back of the camera port of the bumper plug.  If not it is likely taped to the wiring harness near there.  If there is a "wire" plugged in you may have to push the wire into the backside of the connector from behind the bumper while pushing the camera cable into the  bumper plug .  This makes sure that there is a tight connection.  The other problem spot was the camera connection.  You may want to press the cable to the camera.  I used light grease to make sure everything slid together correctly.

Same issue just got my camera yesterday and it is not working. Very frustrating. Please let us know if you have figured a way to solve this. 

the only thing I could think of my trailer has a 4 pin and I am using a 7 pin adapter. My guess would be that since it is an adapter there is not enough power to supply the camper like with an actually 7 pin. 

any ideas?

I have a 2020 1500 SLT .  I also ordered the bed view camera that gave the trailer inputs above the trailer plug,  I also got the trailer camera when I ordered the truck.  Since my trailer was not in the area, I hooked a trailer light to a 7  to 4 pin plug.  The back trailer camera did work but not the interior trailer camera.  I found that that jack was not hooked up behind the bumper.  It was plugged into a blank plug that is strapped to the harness.  I am going to use the interior trailer input to run a front camera.  At least one trailer light needs to be hooked up so the truck will see that a trailer is connected.  Since the trailer light needs to be connected for the trailer camera to work, another problem exists.  Once the trailer is hooked up the rear sensors are disabled.  That also disables the side vehicle alert.  So I have to run a wire to a switch in the cab to turn the front camera by connecting and disconnecting the light that I simulates the trailer light.  In testing that process, I bought a small 12 volt led to be the mock trailer light.  I did not work like the trailer light I first tried.  It was not enough of a load so the truck could recognize it.  So I didn't have to put a larger light, I put a couple of small led's together and it works.  The 4 pin adapter is adequate to detect a trailer connected, just enough of a load from a trailer light.  I can switch the mock trailer light on and off that enables or disables the trailer cameras.  The 2019 may not need to be connected to a trailer but the 2020 must be.  Also the trailer camera I got with the truck will plug into either trailer camera port, just flip the plug 180 with the long pull tab the other direction.

2020 SLT Owner