G80 diff fluid?

Rear axle additives are designed for use in limited slip differentials which are normally installed in cars. All light duty trucks equipped with RPO G80 make use of a locking differential and the use of additives will delay the engagement of the locking mechanism and may decrease axle life.

¨ Optional Equipment (G80 Order Code) on all GM two-wheel and four-wheel drive light trucks and sport utilities.

Benefits

¨ Improved traction differentiates the vehicle relative to other rear wheel and four-wheel drive vehicles on the market.

¨ Maintenance free; requires no lube additives.

¨ Enhanced towing and off-road performance.

¨ Patented carbon friction disc technology enhances performance and durability while reducing warranty claims.

Principles of Operation

¨ Wheel speed difference (left to right) in excess of 100 RPM will cause a flyweight mechanism to open and catch a latching bracket.

¨ The stopped flyweight will trigger a self-energizing clutch system, which results in the cam plate ramping against a side gear.

¨ Ramping increases until both axles turn at the same speed (full lock), which prevents further wheel slip.

¨ At speeds above 20MPH, the latching bracket swings away from the governor and prevents lockup from occurring.

Technical Specifications

¨ Automatic locking takes place within a fraction of a second, so smoothly that it is unnoticed by the average driver.

¨ Unlocking occurs automatically, once the need for improved traction is gone, and is unnoticeable to the average driver.

¨ Compatible with anti-lock brake systems

Edited by elcamino
  • Thanks 1

Does the G80 require an additive?  This is for my 17 Silvy.  Going to run Amsoil 75W90.

That’s all I use, Amsoil 75W90 and no, doesn’t require additive.

Sent from Above
  • Thanks 2

On ‎3‎/‎21‎/‎2020 at 8:26 AM, TXGREEK said:

That’s all I use, Amsoil 75W90 and no, doesn’t require additive.

Sent from Above

Yup, use AMSOIL best Gear Oil I ever seen used.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone know offhand, the capacity in the front and and rear diffs (9.5 vs. 9.76 inch) Mine is 9.76. But, it would be nice to list both.

Dark. 

I started out all motivated, cleaning for one hour each day. Doing little stuff around the house and trying to be somewhat productive. Taking things apart fixing and deep cleaning. Now, I’m coming to terms with my fat ass being lazy, depressed and just blah. What a drag. I kinda suck.