Anyone tested positive yet?

Fuelie

1 minute ago, Daverado said:

All the flu shot signs I see in grocery stores, pharmacies, department stores, and so on seems to say to me we do a lot about it.  I can't seem to buy a gallon of milk without the local dealer trying to hit me up for another flu shot.  Maybe it's just a Massachusetts and California thing though.

There is good potential for millions to die over the next few months, and we don't have a vaccine.  It's not like the flu.  So yeah it's kind of a big deal and the media is trying to communicate that.

I'm talking about the death from the flu. We aren't shutting down the world for all those deaths. There isn't "good potential" for millions to die over the next few months. The media is only communicating what they want you to know. The models they use.....like the imperial college model is already wrong and has been taken back. If you think the media is just trying to be nice and communicate things honestly, you are fooling yourself. Don't be so naive. 

If the media talked about car crash deaths every day, you'd never drive a vehicle. 

People are out buying all the toilet paper due to this....toilet paper. Those are the same people that watch the media 24/7. 

Based on what you are arguing, if we never find a vaccine for this, we should all lock ourselves in a box for the rest of our lives. Good luck! I'm going to keep living my life like normal and I'll be around once everyone gets burnt out on the paranoia. Remember when the media said everything was going to be ruined due to net neutrality? lol. Yeah, well almost nothing changed. 

• Like 1

Just now, Likarok said:

What has really caught my attention is how poorly prepared or Govt's where.

Well, the governments can only do so much. There are so many people involved and everyone has their own agenda, then as you pass things down the line, it gets muddied up. Also, you have to think about how many different disasters can happen. 

One thing you will see is people talking about these respirators. "We have to get these respirators". Ok, you have to be a respirator tech (can't remember the actual term) to operate them. It takes schooling. The gov't can't force people to go to school for that. 

Then even if/when the governments tell the hospitals to do something, it has to go through several channels there. The hospitals are there to make money/run efficiently as possible. Well, you have a lot of ppl running these places and only looking at the bottom line....profits. So, they try to run these things like a Toyota assembly line and use "just in time" inventory methods. That's ok for some things, but not for other things. 

The government isn't really designed to be prepared or proactive on anything. It's a big swampy mess. I'll be far more shocked when I see the gov't work properly. lol

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, horn12007 said:

I'm talking about the death from the flu. We aren't shutting down the world for all those deaths. There isn't "good potential" for millions to die over the next few months. The media is only communicating what they want you to know. The models they use.....like the imperial college model is already wrong and has been taken back. If you think the media is just trying to be nice and communicate things honestly, you are fooling yourself. Don't be so naive. 

If the media talked about car crash deaths every day, you'd never drive a vehicle. 

People are out buying all the toilet paper due to this....toilet paper. Those are the same people that watch the media 24/7. 

Based on what you are arguing, if we never find a vaccine for this, we should all lock ourselves in a box for the rest of our lives. Good luck! I'm going to keep living my life like normal and I'll be around once everyone gets burnt out on the paranoia. Remember when the media said everything was going to be ruined due to net neutrality? lol. Yeah, well almost nothing changed. 

Nah, you're quite wrong on many points there.

We socially distance ourselves to flatten the curve.  Once enough of us get the virus and recover, it'll be generally better for those who continue to get it each year even without a vaccine because hospitals will have the resources available to help them.  Today there are too many infected and the hospitals aren't able to help everyone who needs it.

Car crashes are also something we continually invest in preventing and making safer every day.  Cars today are quite different even from just 20 years ago.  Driving is a calculated risk/reward people optionally sign up for every day.  Getting infected with a deadly disease is hardly voluntary for most people.

The reason there is good potential for millions to die is simply that there are so many Americans resistant to common sense and reason.  They insist on living their lives as if there is nothing to worry about.  They encourage their friends and family to do the same, and even have parties to spread it around.  There is good potential because for the last two months our own President was one of those people, and even today as he walks back and pretends he never said what he said just two weeks ago he still doesn't acknowledge the gravity of the situation, and his followers oblige.

Edited by Daverado
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, Daverado said:

Nah, you're quite wrong on many points there.

We socially distance ourselves to flatten the curve.  Once enough of us get the virus and recover, it'll be generally better for those who continue to get it each year even without a vaccine because hospitals will have the resources available to help them.  Today there are too many infected and the hospitals aren't able to help everyone who needs it.

Car crashes are also something we continually invest in preventing and making safer every day.  Cars today are quite different even from just 20 years ago.

The reason there is good potential for millions to die is simply that there are so many Americans resistant to common sense and reason.  They insist on living their lives as if there is nothing to worry about.  They encourage their friends and family to do the same, and even have parties to spread it around.  There is good potential because for the last two months our own President was one of those people, and even today as he walks back and pretends he never said what he said just two weeks ago he still doesn't acknowledge the gravity of the situation, and his followers oblige.

So if the curve is rising like you say and we don't have a vaccine, how does the curve ever go down. Lets say nobody goes out and it does flatten. Then ppl are allowed to go out. More and more people will just keep getting it. That's actually happening in some countries.

Talking about the hospitals being full. Almost any time there is an outbreak over anything, the hospitals will be overrun. Again, hospitals try to run efficiently as possible.

In terms of the car crash example, did we stop driving cars? Stop going out due to car crashes? You knew what I meant with that and danced around it. 

Millions of Americans will not die from this. You have to relax. You talk about the President not doing anything, but he was one of the first "leaders" to put in a travel ban to help out. During that time, your beloved media called him racist for it. The media and dems are trying to push this because they know it's their only shot at beating trump in the election. IT's the only reason they are pushing this so hard. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, horn12007 said:

In terms of the car crash example, did we stop driving cars? Stop going out due to car crashes? You knew what I meant with that and danced around it.

I didn't dance around it at all.  You just missed the point.

Driving is a voluntary activity and a privilege.  We have laws and we have standards that make it a safer activity.  We have police on the roads actively working to make sure the laws and standards are applied and followed.

Driving is not a free-for-all.  You are required to be educated about driving safely, and you are tested and licensed to prove you received that education.

There are calculated risks in life we take upon ourselves, and there are activities that put others at risk.  This virus is an exponential risk factor, car accidents are very typically a 1-on-1 risk.  Accidents rarely infect bystanders.

Nothing about car accidents is really comparable at all.  It's really a terrible argument to make in favor of infecting everyone around you with a deadly disease.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Daverado said:

I didn't dance around it at all.  You just missed the point.

Driving is a voluntary activity and a privilege.  We have laws and we have standards that make it a safer activity.  We have police on the roads actively working to make sure the laws and standards are applied and followed.

Driving is not a free-for-all.  You are required to be educated about driving safely, and you are tested and licensed to prove you received that education.

There are calculated risks in life we take upon ourselves, and there are activities that put others at risk.  This virus is an exponential risk factor, car accidents are very typically a 1-on-1 risk.  Accidents rarely infect bystanders.

Nothing about car accidents is really comparable at all.  It's really a terrible argument to make in favor of infecting everyone around you with a deadly disease.

Ok, well, if you are that negative about this, I'll bet you $1000 that in 2 months, millions of Americans won't be dead from this. 

1 minute ago, horn12007 said:

Ok, well, if you are that negative about this, I'll bet you $1000 that in 2 months, millions of Americans won't be dead from this.

I'm not going to bet against something I hope comes true.  Betting on death statistics is pretty tasteless man.

3 minutes ago, Daverado said:

I'm not going to bet against something I hope comes true.  Betting on death statistics is pretty tasteless man.

But according to you, the media is perfect and right. You are so informed on it. Ppl like you and the media are trying to freak out so many people with all these BS claims, yet you won't put money behind what you say. It's easy to say things, but it's hard to actually put skin on the line. 

It's ok. It shows that you really don't think all those millions of Americans are going to die even though you say you do. I don't think millions will either. We both agree. 

13 minutes ago, horn12007 said:

It's ok. It shows that you really don't think all those millions of Americans are going to die even though you say you do. I don't think millions will either. We both agree. 

What is shows is he isn't willing to be morbid betting on death. You make some weird deductions. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

55 minutes ago, horn12007 said:

But according to you, the media is perfect and right. You are so informed on it. Ppl like you and the media are trying to freak out so many people with all these BS claims, yet you won't put money behind what you say. It's easy to say things, but it's hard to actually put skin on the line. 

Nah sorry man.  Not cool putting words in my mouth.  No need to be dishonorable here.

33 minutes ago, Grumpy Bear said:

What is shows is he isn't willing to be morbid betting on death. You make some weird deductions. 

I'm not so much asking him to bet on death. He said one thing. I just asked him to bet on the thing he said. It could have been how many rocks are in a box.

He made one claim and made his arguments as to why it was true. He claimed the media the media was only giving factual info. I just asked him to put money on it if he is going to make this push his claim is right.  

6 minutes ago, horn12007 said:

He claimed the media the media was only giving factual info.

Pretty sure I didn't claim any such thing.

Fox News for example talking out both sides of their mouths:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/media/on-fox-news-suddenly-a-very-different-tune-about-the-coronavirus/2020/03/16/7a7637cc-678f-11ea-9923-57073adce27c_story.html