Anyone's stock tires falling apart?

7 hours ago, Locom0tive said:

Suddenly my 20k tires start falling apart in chunks. I have never seen this before, it's like they're disintegrating for no good reason. Cooper STT here I come...

20200331_100112 small.jpg

Sharp rocks or the alignment has gone whacky.  Could it be the former since those tires are coated with a fine dusting of white dirt?  

We see plenty of trucks/suv with that tire, the Continental LX20.  They use it on Tahoe/Yukon, Traverse, Blazer and Silverado/Sierra. 

None of them have ever looked like that. 

Something is up with either alignment or driving conditions/roads you are on.  

• Like 1

No caustics, no rocky areas, alignment is at factory settings. White dust is from neighbor’s construction that settles on my driveway. Damage is similar at all four tires which has me stumped.

I have several trucks with all different kinds of tires throughout the years and have never seen this happen, especially since this one doesn’t see the offroad or jobsite duty my other ones go through.

I’d stop driving on them immediately.

I can’t think of anything that would do that short of soaking the tire in some acid.

i’d contact the tire manufacturer and demand a different set of tires, maybe even some upgraded ones. Make sure to act like a suburban housewive and rip them a new one and tell them you are very scared.

I see you wrote a review on their website

Here’s a separate review with a similar issue. I’d try to find more personally and then contact them

The front tires on my 2016 Silverado have pieces of rubber ripping off the front tires only. The rear tires are fine and seem intact. I had my tires rebalance and checked at Discount Tires due to what felt like a vibration felt in the steering wheel when driving at highway speed. have rotated my tires as required by a local Chevrolet dealerships as required. I primarily drive the vehicle to work and drive on the highway occasionally.

Yeah I figured I’d finally ask around to see if this was a common thing because I couldn’t find similar cases for this particular set while searching or any correlation through my driving experience. Truck tracks straight and smooth just like when I bought it.

Basically I just wanted to see if this is about the time/range these tires tend to fall apart. The only other tire that I can remember having problems with were Federal Couragia but those were a different kind of mess.

Thanks for all the input gents.

My father and I both have those tires on our trucks. Both truck are at 40k mile range. His tires look like but not that bad. His alignment is perfect according to the alignment shop. I'll try and snap some pictures after work.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Locom0tive said:

No caustics, no rocky areas, alignment is at factory settings. White dust is from neighbor’s construction that settles on my driveway. Damage is similar at all four tires which has me stumped.

I have several trucks with all different kinds of tires throughout the years and have never seen this happen, especially since this one doesn’t see the offroad or jobsite duty my other ones go through.

Any teenagers in the house?  ?

Here are my continental LX20’s @ 22k miles. I rotate every 7500. I see nothing like yours. A few small spot of rubber missing. I would contact continental and give them plant code and date of manufacture. It’s located by DOT marking. Also send some photos. They could of had a bad batch/run. It’s good to get it on record. I never had a tire do that.

b14fb2685c681123ea02677a258a9f1b.jpg

22a9ebf4d14c59e3062b287356f2aa4c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, Locom0tive said:

Looks like chemical damage as an underlying cause of breakdown and degraded by abrasion. Just a guess.......Use automated or commercial DIY car wash bays? If so maybe concrete dust embedded in the sipes of the tire are reacting with the hydrofluoric acid used in industrial care wash soaps and degrading polymer additives in that particular brand model of tire.