2020 6.2 Max Tow Initial Impressions

INTJ

I have had too many personal pickups over the last 37 years.  I choose to blame it on my wife having a brother that works for GM.

I was mostly happy with my 2018 5.3/3.73 Max Tow.  I added a Borla cat-back, AFE intake, and a Superchips tune.  The 2018 didn't run as hard as the three tuned 2500 HD Dmaxes I've had, but since I didn't tow anything I don't need a Dmax.  I do however occasionally need to haul a heavier load and the Max Tow gave me good payload capability.  

GM has had some strong incentives lately and I had always really wanted the 6.2, so I started looking.  I had to get an LTZ or High Country because I need folding mirrors to back into the single bay part of my garage.  I found two LTZ  CCs with the standard bed.  One had just about every option, the other one had Max Tow.  I went with the Max Tow and brought it home two days ago.  I am looking for "essential travel" excuses right now.......  

The 6.2, 10 speed, and 3.42 gear are incredible.  Power is available at any rpm and speed with no hesitation.  Even the tuned 500 RWHP DMaxes would occasionally hesitate, especially if I got in front of the turbo.  Interestingly, the 6.2 has a better power to weight ratio.  The difference between this 6.2/3.42 and my tuned 2018 5.3/3.73/6-speed is dramatic.  

This truck has the least amount of cab noise  of any I have owned.  My wife says it's quieter than her 2019 Acadia Denali.  

The 2018 (double cab, standard bed) was a tad squirrelly under hard cornering until I installed the Roadmaster Active Suspension springs.  This 6.2 CC Standard Bed is not squirrelly under hard cornering.  Though it is 11" longer overall and has a 13" longer wheelbase than my 2018 it is still easy to park and maneuver.   

I like the lighting, extra tie downs loops,  and 110 VAC outlet on the bed.  I like the 110 outlet in the cab as well.  I like the dual control heat and AC, the heated seats front and rear, the ventilated front seats, and the rear seat heat and AC controls.  Though the Bose would be better, the standard sound system is fine, and one of my hobbies is playing lead trumpet in a big band.  

I am not terribly excited about the auto stop but it does seem to work pretty well.  Thankfully I can turn it off.  The factory under seat storage is lacking so a Du Ha is on its way.  I like the dual exhaust but may swap out the muffler and butterfly valve.  While Borla makes a great product I am not sure the extra $1200-$1400 for a cat-back is worth it when replacing the muffler and valve will do about the same thing.  I also wish the upper glove box had a lock.

I am not excited about the keyless start or the electric tailgate.  I often like to be able to check that my tailgate is locked when I leave the truck.  The problem is as long as I have the key FOB in my pocket the tailgate will open.  Maybe I can program that differently.  I think I liked the 2018 DIC better than the 2020, but I'll get used to it.

Of course, the tires they put in these trucks always irritates me.  Even though Goodyear says they are $177 each, Les Schwab won't give me anything for them.  Not sure the Goodyear dealer would either.  What this truck should have is a 6-ply "C" rated all terrain tires.  It has "P" rated mud and snows.  I think the Load Factor 116 tires I am seeing (2750 lb, 51 PSI) are the equivalent of the 6 ply rating.  If not, then I am stuck with the heavy 10 ply rating tires that are overkill for even a heavy payload 1500. 

I have wheel-to-wheel 5" nerf bars on the way, Weather Tech Mats and mud flaps, a center console tray,  the Du Ha, bed rug bed mat (truck already has a spray in), and a BAK Revolver X4 on the way.  Probably better tires soon too.

I'll be keeping this truck for a long time.  Unless they offer the 6.2 Max Tow in a Double Cab Long Bed (8') version..........

Side View with Inch Lift.jpg

Edited by INTJ
  • Like 5

5 hours ago, ullose272 said:

What tires are on it? The duratracs that came on mine are c rated

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

It has Fortitude HTs in a 2600 lb rating.

Edited by INTJ

8 hours ago, mrtizzom said:

Thanks for posting this...i'm currently looking into the exact same truck plus the addition of tow mirrors. This makes me feel more confident in my decision to go this route for sure.

While std mirrors were better for my application, it is interesting than towing mirrors wouldn't be part of the tow package.  Maybe a Phil Gamboa has started doing mirror swaps on the 2019-2020s.

Edited by INTJ

2 hours ago, Jav_eee said:

Rest assured that the tailgate is always locked unless you’re near it with the fob.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It just goes against my nature to not be able to double check.....

13 hours ago, INTJ said:

I have had too many personal pickups over the last 37 years.  I choose to blame it on my wife having a brother that works for GM.

I was mostly happy with my 2018 5.3/3.73 Max Tow.  I added a Borla cat-back, AFE intake, and a Superchips tune.  The 2018 didn't run as hard as the three tuned 2500 HD Dmaxes I've had, but since I didn't tow anything I don't need a Dmax.  I do however occasionally need to haul a heavier load and the Max Tow gave me good payload capability.  

GM has had some strong incentives lately and I had always really wanted the 6.2, so I started looking.  I had to get an LTZ or High Country because I need folding mirrors to back into the single bay part of my garage.  I found two LTZ  CCs with the standard bed.  One had just about every option, the other one had Max Tow.  I went with the Max Tow and brought it home two days ago.  I am looking for "essential travel" excuses right now.......  

The 6.2, 10 speed, and 3.42 gear are incredible.  Power is available at any rpm and speed with no hesitation.  Even the tuned 500 RWHP DMaxes would occasionally hesitate, especially if I got in front of the turbo.  Interestingly, the 6.2 has a better power to weight ratio.  The difference between this 6.2/3.42 and my tuned 2018 5.3/3.73/6-speed is dramatic.  

This truck has the least amount of cab noise  of any I have owned.  My wife says it's quieter than her 2019 Acadia Denali.  

The 2018 (double cab, standard bed) was a tad squirrelly under hard cornering until I installed the Roadmaster Active Suspension springs.  This 6.2 CC Standard Bed is not squirrelly under hard cornering.  Though it is 11" longer overall and has a 13" longer wheelbase than my 2018 it is still easy to park and maneuver.   

I like the lighting, extra tie downs loops,  and 110 VAC outlet on the bed.  I like the 110 outlet in the cab as well.  I like the dual control heat and AC, the heated seats front and rear, the ventilated front seats, and the rear seat heat and AC controls.  Though the Bose would be better, the standard sound system is fine, and one of my hobbies is playing lead trumpet in a big band.  

I am not terribly excited about the auto stop but it does seem to work pretty well.  Thankfully I can turn it off.  The factory under seat storage is lacking so a Du Ha is on its way.  I like the dual exhaust but may swap out the muffler and butterfly valve.  While Borla makes a great product I am not sure the extra $1200-$1400 for a cat-back is worth it when replacing the muffler and valve will do about the same thing.  I also wish the upper glove box had a lock.

I am not excited about the keyless start or the electric tailgate.  I often like to be able to check that my tailgate is locked when I leave the truck.  The problem is as long as I have the key FOB in my pocket the tailgate will open.  Maybe I can program that differently.  I think I liked the 2018 DIC better than the 2020, but I'll get used to it.

Of course, the tires they put in these trucks always irritates me.  Even though Goodyear says they are $177 each, Les Schwab won't give me anything for them.  Not sure the Goodyear dealer would either.  What this truck should have is a 6-ply "C" rated all terrain tires.  It has "P" rated mud and snows.  I think the Load Factor 116 tires I am seeing (2750 lb, 51 PSI) are the equivalent of the 6 ply rating.  If not, then I am stuck with the heavy 10 ply rating tires that are overkill for even a heavy payload 1500. 

I have wheel-to-wheel 5" nerf bars on the way, Weather Tech Mats and mud flaps, a center console tray,  the Du Ha, bed rug bed mat (truck already has a spray in), and a BAK Revolver X4 on the way.  Probably better tires soon too.

I'll be keeping this truck for a long time.  Unless they offer the 6.2 Max Tow in a Double Cab Long Bed (8') version..........

Thank you for feedback on your 6.2 Max Tow.  I too just bought a HC 6.2 Max Tow and had to go 700 miles away to get one with all the options i wanted on it.  The truck is a dream to drive and lots of power but yet very smooth.  It feels alot bigger than my old truck but even with the max tow suspension it rides really nice.  I havent hooked it up to my travel trailer yet but itching to see how it pulls when the campgrounds re-open.

• Like 1

I think it would be a great towing truck until the trailer starts getting heavier, maybe 7000 lbs or so?  I am not sure of the exact weight but at some point the weight of a 3/4 ton is needed so the trailer doesn't push the truck around.  My truck is rated at something like 11,900 lbs towing.  I am sure it would pull it and stop it fine, but I would not want to be coming down any of the mountain passes here in Oregon with an 11,000 trailer load and a 1/2 ton truck.  

I called Goodyear and they confirmed that my tires are four ply rating and the Goodyear said there were not worth anything in trade.  So I am at Les Schwab now getting E load range LT all terrain tires, the same ones that I ran on my 2018.  They are 18 lbs heavier per tire.  I did find a C load range tire online but it was only 3 lbs lighter than the E.

Edited by INTJ

On 4/17/2020 at 12:59 PM, Badbird2000 said:

Can you post pictures of you truck so I can live vicariously through you? This is what I need on my next truck

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I only have the pic I took of it at the dealership.  I'll post more pics when I get the nerfs.

E7B4EC99-919A-4830-A8A1-C7EC35D633FF.jpeg

Side View with Inch Lift.jpg

Edited by INTJ
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, wacko said:

The only other option to make the NHT perfect is the Brembo Brake set up...  I have only had a few emergency stop situations and they are impressive 

Like I said I’ve only had mine 3 weeks, but did have one time I really needed to get on the brakes and I was really impressed with them.  I’ve got Bridgestone Dueler ATs that came on mine from dealer so I’m good with those and don’t need to buy new tires.

• Like 1