30,000 mile service?

Just had my truck in for some service due to some error messages I’ve received.  Got that stuff fixed so that part is good.  However, the dealership also gave me a $500 quote for the 30,000 mile service that’s needed.  I’ve got 31,400 on the clock.  

Most of this service includes check or inspect items such as brake line, hoses, pads, coolant and and washer fluid levels, etc. Easy stuff.   There are a couple easy other things too.  Items like INSTALL Premium Engine Oil Conditioner and Premium Universal Coolant Conditioner.  

However, there are a couple items I haven’t heard of before are things like “PERFORM Crankcase Oil Cleaning Service” or “PERFORM Fuel Injection Air Induction System Clean-up Service”.  

Has anyone done these services at home? Is the Crankcase Oil Cleaning Service just a fluid change?  

Not sure what’s involved in doing a Fuel Injection/Air Induction cleanup service.  Anyone do that in their driveway?  

Just had my truck in for some service due to some error messages I’ve received.  Got that stuff fixed so that part is good.  However, the dealership also gave me a $500 quote for the 30,000 mile service that’s needed.  I’ve got 31,400 on the clock.  

Most of this service includes check or inspect items such as brake line, hoses, pads, coolant and and washer fluid levels, etc. Easy stuff.   There are a couple easy other things too.  Items like INSTALL Premium Engine Oil Conditioner and Premium Universal Coolant Conditioner.  

However, there are a couple items I haven’t heard of before are things like “PERFORM Crankcase Oil Cleaning Service” or “PERFORM Fuel Injection Air Induction System Clean-up Service”.  

Has anyone done these services at home? Is the Crankcase Oil Cleaning Service just a fluid change?  

Not sure what’s involved in doing a Fuel Injection/Air Induction cleanup service.  Anyone do that in their driveway?  

Imo it is not needed, i was a gm tech from 2010 to 2014 before i went on to the Air Force, our service writers used to sell all kinds of services that imo were not needed, but kept me employed.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

Oil conditioner? Crooks! Crankcase cleaner? Seriously? Which dealer is this so we can all steer clear! 

Pick your favorite fuel injector cleaner additive and dump it in. Dura lube products are good. 

I would ask to see the procedures involved. I bet they have a few bottles on the shelf they INSTALL... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, ullose272 said:

Imo it is not needed, i was a gm tech from 2010 to 2014 before i went on to the Air Force, our service writers used to sell all kinds of services that imo were not needed, but kept me employed.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Thanks for you input

11 minutes ago, Bikemobile said:

Oil conditioner? Crooks! Crankcase cleaner? Seriously? Which dealer is this so we can all steer clear! 

Pick your favorite fuel injector cleaner additive and dump it in. Dura lube products are good. 

I would ask to see the procedures involved. I bet they have a few bottles on the shelf they INSTALL... 

Yup, many of these items had me thinking “HUH?”

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, steve76t said:

Premium Engine Oil Conditioner

Hmmm, is this done after the Premium Oil Shampoo is run through the engine?

If so, it makes sense, you don't want your engine to look "greasy" or have "split ends".....

Have you been dealing with this dealership for long, I would ask for free oil (shampoo and conditioner of course) for life for challenging your "Man Card"!

• Haha 2

Service advisors now days are nothing more than Salesman for the service dept.  Their object is to get as much money from the customers as possible and selling unnecessary services is their bread and butter.

Captive customer.  Dealer sets the hook with free oil changes and then when you come in for them, they look for the opportunity to upsell you on other often unnecessary services such as; Fuel induction service, transmission fluid flush, replace Cabin filter, replace Air filter etc.  Often these services are not currently recommended by the owner’s manual.  It’s designed to make money for the dealer and since they are giving free oil changes, often the customer feels obligated to purchase the recommended accelerated dealer services at high costs.  In other words, you are money in the bank.   If even half of the customers fall for this, they rake in a huge profit from a free oil change. 

• Like 5

All good information posted in reply to the topic.

One thing I would recommend if you plan on keeping the truck for a long time is to have the transmission serviced.  For the cost, to have the filter changed and fluid changed with it will help keep the fluid in the transmission fresh.  No need for a fluid exchange.  Just a pan drop, clean off the magnet, filter change and top back up with fresh ATF fluid.   Just my thoughts. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, JimCost2014 said:

Hmmm, is this done after the Premium Oil Shampoo is run through the engine?

If so, it makes sense, you don't want your engine to look "greasy" or have "split ends".....

Have you been dealing with this dealership for long, I would ask for free oil (shampoo and conditioner of course) for life for challenging your "Man Card"!

Don't forget to rinse and repeat! ?

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, steve76t said:

Has your 8l90 transmission had the new fluid installed? If not I would get it flushed. You should be able to get it done free with some convincing if your truck has shudder problems or RPM fluctuations when highway cruising.

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2019/08/tsb-seems-to-fix-8-speed-automatic-gm-transmission-problems/

https://gm-techlink.com/?p=11127

#16-NA-175: Shake and/or Shudder During Light Throttle Acceleration Between 25 and 80 MPH (40 and 128 KM/H) at a Steady State - (Oct 11, 2018)

Some customers may comment on any of the following conditions:

• A shake and/or shudder during light throttle acceleration between 25 and 80 mph (40 and 128 km/h) steady state driving when transmission is not actively shifting gears.
  • A shudder feeling that may be described as driving over rumble strips or rough pavement.
  • Shudder feeling is evident in both Drive and M7 MY15-16 & L7 MY17, MY18 and MY19 mode.

Important: Do NOT replace the torque converter or transmission assembly for this condition. Engineer reviews have proven that replacing the torque converter does not provide a long-term solution to TCC shudder. A revised service procedure will be released in Q1 of 2019. If the vehicle experiences a repeat shudder condition, this document should be followed again.

All part replacement claims will be subject to engineering analysis. Any part(s) determined not to be defective will be subject to a possible claim debit.

Note: This procedure has been updated to eliminate the replacement of the transmission oil filter.

To confirm TCC Shudder, the vibration concern must be created in normal operation (Mode A) of the test. If the concern is gone with the torque converter clutch disabled (Mode B, TCC Open) and is gone with torque converter clutch enabled (Mode C, TCC Locked), then the vibration root cause is TCC Shudder, and the fluid flush procedure corrective action described below should be performed.

If the concern is not present in Mode A, then the vibration concern is NOT TCC shudder.

If the concern is still present with the torque converter clutch disabled (Mode B) or with the torque converter clutch enabled (Mode C, TCC slip speed at zero), then the vibration root cause is NOT TCC Shudder.

Vibrations not identified as TCC Shudder should be further investigated using the Vehicle Vibration Diagnosis in SI as a starting point.

Service Procedure

Important: Requires Mobil 1 Synthetic LV ATF DEXRON HP transmission fluid.

Note: Replacement of the transmission oil filter is not required for this procedure.

1. Drain, Clean pan/magnet, Oil Fill, & Remove fluid from the oil cooler lines.

Note: If you find that the fluid is cloudy, milky, or appears to be contaminated with water or engine coolant, DO NOT proceed with below steps. Follow Both SI Procedures for Cooling System Leak Testing and Engine Coolant/Water in Transmission.

• A.) Use filtered compressed air regulated to 60 psi to remove transmission fluid from the transmission oil cooler lines.
    • B.) Remove the transmission fluid pan and drain transmission fluid following SI procedures for the application you’re working on. Discard all oil.
    • C.) Clean the pan/magnet if any metallic particles present.

Install the transmission fluid pan and refill with new Mobil 1 Synthetic LV ATF DEXRON HP transmission fluid following the Fluid Fill Procedure in SI to obtain correct fluid level.

The shudder should be improved after the completion of this flush procedure.

Note: Shudder should improve directionally right away, but for full affect, the vehicle may need to be driven up to 200 miles (322 km) and a minimum of two cold to hot drive cycles before determining if the fluid flush corrected the condition or not. Do not re-evaluate vehicle for additional customer shudder concerns until the vehicle has been driven 200 miles (322 km).

I've been following this post with interest since I'm about in the same miles on my CPO '17 LTZ. I just purchased my truck in Feb. @ 30k with the 2x FREE oil changes over the next 12months/12k miles. Here's my take on what you should consider. These are all pretty much DYI's. (I can really speak about the above 2 services that the dealer suggested) but would suggest a couple things to keep your truck's fluids in good order. This is what I did to mine that the dealer won't do under CPO.

1. I would change the front & rear differential fluids (GL5 75W90) Mine looked very dark.

2. Replace the transfer case fluid (Dexron VI ATF) Mine looked very dark

3. Remove & replace the brake fluid in the brake reservoir. (DOT 3 or 4) Mine looked cloudy. Brake fluid is hygroscopic 

4. Do a drain & fill on transmission. Mine is a 6 speed & uses AC Delco Dexron VI. The easy way is suck fluid out the filler tube, approx. 5 qts & refill. No need to drop the pan & replace filter at 30k, "in my opinion".(I actually did this 2x which replaced approx. 66% over 1000 miles period) The filter will actually last well over 100k miles. I've dissected transmission filters with over 130k on them & they looked very good. I'm not sure how small of micron particle they filter out but I feel they do catch the big stuff. Mine was very dark at 30k

5. I do a GDI cleaning process with CRC GDI (https://www.crcindustries.com/products/gdi-service-pack-1-kit-05320.html)

6. Add Chevron Techron Concentrate Plus Fuel cleaner every 3-5k for the injectors.

Hope this helps you and are good DYI projects to do to keep fluids fresh & clean. Again, these are my opinions only. Do what you feel is right for you & your truck.

Edited by rav3
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bikemobile said:

Does the rear diff have a drain plug? I’ve never looked. Im thinking of swapping to amsoil and I’m 800 miles short of 30k. Seems like a good time. 

Rear axle - Nope. Have to remove cover on 1500's. Front axle - yes.

Fun fact: Front axle diff and shafts are always turning even in 2wd, front driveshaft is disconnected from power in 2wd. Been that way since 1988.

2500 / 3500 HD trucks with the larger axle have drain plug in addition to cover removal.

• Like 1