Trans fluid replacement

Does anyone have info on procedure to drain, fill and check transmission fluid level on 2017 v6 Acadia?  I dont see a dipstick and is the diff serviced independently of trans or do they share common oil? 

There is a dipstick as part of the black plastic controls vertical cover near the front of the engine compartment.  You will need to unscrew the cap & remove it to inspect the bullet at the end of the cable.

The fluid is good for the life of the vehicle unless it is used for heavy towing, etc.  Dexron 6 is a very good ATF.

The transfer box has its own fluid & they are not to be mixed.

If you decide to change the ATF, there is a pipe thread drain plug at the bottom of the transmission.  I don't remember how the transfer box is checked or changed.

-Bob

My 2018 manual recommends 45,000 miles for severe service.  No change required for normal service.

When we developed the fluid, it was designed for fill for life under normal service.

I've seen the ATF after a full dyno cycle using a V8 & the ATF still met spec even though it was blackened.

During long vehicle testing, the ATF never got even close to being unacceptable.  Even after double life vehicle durability tests, the ATF met spec.  Dyno testing seemed to be the most aggravating test on the ATF.

But it is your money & your risk if you get the fill wrong or crack the case if you over tighten the drain plug or lose ATF if you under tighten it.  Over filling & under filling can destroy the trans.  Plus the factory fill is the same fluid we validated the transmission with.

I hate to tell you, but it is a very good ATF. 

I think id still like to change it at least once. The first oil change would have a higher particle count do to break in, after that ill probley just let it be.  I may even sample it to see what it is before changing it. Its free for me since i work for caterpillar.  .  

3 hours ago, Homer1952 said:

My 2018 manual recommends 45,000 miles for severe service.  No change required for normal service.

When we developed the fluid, it was designed for fill for life under normal service.

I've seen the ATF after a full dyno cycle using a V8 & the ATF still met spec even though it was blackened.

During long vehicle testing, the ATF never got even close to being unacceptable.  Even after double life vehicle durability tests, the ATF met spec.  Dyno testing seemed to be the most aggravating test on the ATF.

But it is your money & your risk if you get the fill wrong or crack the case if you over tighten the drain plug or lose ATF if you under tighten it.  Over filling & under filling can destroy the trans.  Plus the factory fill is the same fluid we validated the transmission with.

I hate to tell you, but it is a very good ATF. 

I love "Fill for life" claims. Two things you know about it straight away. "Life" will NEVER be defined and when it fails, and it will fail, that was it's life. You will never successfully satisfy a claim. 

Even IF the fluid could take the beating, and it wont, the seals and clutch bindings WILL NOT. Even if they did, eventually it will reach a point of particle contamination that will be akin to running sand in the device. Automatic transmissions are hydraulic devices. They DEMAND a higher standard of cleanliness than motor oil. Cleaner actually then the fluid when NEW.  16/14/11 minimum

New fluids are multiples more contaminated before they ever reach a bottle much less a factory fill.  

The filters in AT are a joke. Dog and cat catchers and poor ones at that. In my Terrain you can't even change it without full disassembly of the unit. :wtf: 

You mention "double life vehicle durability tests" and fail to mention what that life was....and you will not. You mention "the ATF never got even close to being unacceptable" but fail to mention the standard and you wont because that would mean you would have to divulge the ISO 4406 minimum and maximum CLEANLYNESS specification. Guys love to side track with MINIMUM SPEC physical properties. Hardly matters if it's full of gravel. 

Then you say, "But it is your money & your risk if you get the fill wrong or crack the case if you over tighten the drain plug or lose ATF if you under tighten it.  Over filling & under filling can destroy the trans." Standard FUD. The OEM fall back every time.

FEAR...UNCERTIANTY....DOUBT

Everyone is an incompetent moron?

Can't honestly say I've ever been more offended by a post.

"When we developed the fluid"

Ya did take ownership

You want some truth? Truth is when you buy a vehicle YOU OWN IT, NOT GM. GM put just enough thought into it to get it to warranty. They don't own it and once past the ever shrinking warranty they could care less. They make MONEY not vehicles. 

Be your own advocate.

No one else will.

Do you toast your bread until it's asphalt black and call it fine?

Change you fluids. 

It is your ONLY tool to keep it clean.

Edited by Grumpy Bear

I agree a hundred percent. Ive been a technician for toyota and lexus before moving to caterpillar brand for the last 14 years.  It will most likely make it out of warranty but after that you own it ? . I remember a toyota trans class were the instructor  basically said the same thing. 

It's a parts game. 

• Like 1

Dexron 6 is a very good ATF.

The Dexron VI spec might be very good BUT investor owned and driven companies such as GM, Ford,  Honda etc are all about $$.  Engineers and bean counters are required to seek out the lowest prices on parts and services and that includes who gets the low bid contract to produce lubes for them.  

Just because GM's brand name in on a lubricant does not mean it’s the best there is. It only means its good enough for GM. GM sells lubricants to make money and that is their primary motivation in offering their own brand.

• Like 2

I love these threads. The man is wrong threads. If you feel better changing it do it. If you break it you own it. Most people wouldn’t keep them long enough to matter anyway. I recently was shopping for a mower. Some of them advertise life time oil. I passed on those. Then I remembered my 18 year old snapper self propelled mower I gave to my daughter. Two oil changes with Amsoil. Still going. The deck is about shot. The engine perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 5/7/2020 at 5:54 PM, Homer1952 said:

There is a dipstick as part of the black plastic controls vertical cover near the front of the engine compartment.  You will need to unscrew the cap & remove it to inspect the bullet at the end of the cable.

The fluid is good for the life of the vehicle unless it is used for heavy towing, etc.  Dexron 6 is a very good ATF.

The transfer box has its own fluid & they are not to be mixed.

If you decide to change the ATF, there is a pipe thread drain plug at the bottom of the transmission.  I don't remember how the transfer box is checked or changed.

-Bob

Homer. That right there says a lot!

How about this analogy?

If your organs didn't filter your blood, how long would you last?

If you didn't brush your teeth or see a dentist?

Oh and if you didn't have toilet paper ?

:)

• Haha 1

On 5/7/2020 at 10:28 AM, justin c said:

Does anyone have info on procedure to drain, fill and check transmission fluid level on 2017 v6 Acadia?  I dont see a dipstick and is the diff serviced independently of trans or do they share common oil? 

Is your Acadia the new style or the old style 2017?  

We owned a 2008 Acadia and a 2011 Acadia and I changed the fluid out on them at 20k miles and again at 30k miles and the last before we traded them at 60k miles.  Since you can't get all the fluid out this was to change out as much as I could each time and it refreshed the fluid which is a good thing. 

There is a dipstick as stated above and the bold on the bottom is if I remember a 12mm.  Just park on a level surface, put a pan under the drain plug and take it out.  You will get close to 5qts out.  I even rocked the car back and forth to get the most fluid out as I could.  Then I measured the fluid by poring it into old oil quart containers.  That way I put that much back in.  Then I would drive around to get the transmission up to temperature and then check the dipstick with the vehicle running on a level surface and top off accordingly. 

Use dexron VI fluid.  I of course used AMSOIL's ATL fluid. 

I highly recommend changing it out.  The transmissions  in the lambda platform vehicles is very hard on the fluid.  Keeping it fresh will keep it running for a long time.  Plus it is super easy to do so why not.

Remember this is on the old style.  So not a 100% on the new style but I highly suggest changing it out.

Edited by Black02Silverado
  • Like 1