It’s been real

The 2011 Ford F150 was a great truck, just got worn out

2013 Toyota Tundra with the big V8...you couldnt pass a gas station, extended cab Long box with a 22 gallon tank (i could be off on that a bit been awhile) terrible mileage and the ride was absolutely terrible. Had drivetrain issues

2014 F150, cew cab Short box, 5.4 and it was gutless, quality definitely not there like the 2011, loose door panels, bad speakers, lights flickered, overall sub par fit to finish.

2018 F250 6.7 Diesel, plenty of power, Aluminum body sucked terrible, rough ride and still fought quality control issues, wind noise, and the plastic everywhere was creaky and noisy. Traded it with 60k and was getting at best 16mpg empty. Not that im buying a Diesel for mpg but...

2020 Duramax, its quiet, smooth riding, and I can pull 21mpg with the 6.6 in a 3/4ton empty. Im very impressed with the cab and how quiet it is, it does need a bit of a updating dash wise but the new 2020 HD body playform and the 10sp tranny is sweet.

Just my experience with them and putting lots of miles on

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

On 6/19/2020 at 2:28 PM, FLTRXS said:

The 2011 Ford F150 was a great truck, just got worn out

2013 Toyota Tundra with the big V8...you couldnt pass a gas station, extended cab Long box with a 22 gallon tank (i could be off on that a bit been awhile) terrible mileage and the ride was absolutely terrible. Had drivetrain issues

2014 F150, cew cab Short box, 5.4 and it was gutless, quality definitely not there like the 2011, loose door panels, bad speakers, lights flickered, overall sub par fit to finish.

2018 F250 6.7 Diesel, plenty of power, Aluminum body sucked terrible, rough ride and still fought quality control issues, wind noise, and the plastic everywhere was creaky and noisy. Traded it with 60k and was getting at best 16mpg empty. Not that im buying a Diesel for mpg but...

2020 Duramax, its quiet, smooth riding, and I can pull 21mpg with the 6.6 in a 3/4ton empty. Im very impressed with the cab and how quiet it is, it does need a bit of a updating dash wise but the new 2020 HD body playform and the 10sp tranny is sweet.

Just my experience with them and putting lots of miles on

That why you just posted how your truck sounded like it was coming apart in February? 

• Like 1

That why you just posted how your truck sounded like it was coming apart in February? 

Your point? Gave my opinion on previous vehicles i had

Yes my 2020 has a noise, it has not inhibited the functionality or ride of the truck.

Just a strange sound.

On 6/18/2020 at 7:33 PM, Doublebase said:

Honestly, I haven’t bought anything yet, been using my wife’s Mercedes ML350 for the past four days (that won’t last much longer). I might buy a used Tundra or leave the truck world all together and buy a Lexus GS350. I owned a Lexus LS460 before the Silverado. 

Good luck and enjoy!  I've left the 1/2 ton daily driver a few times.  SUV's, luxury cars, economy commuters, vans, station wagons and family sedans, all have made their way into my driveway.   Now that crew cabs and powerful fuel efficient engines are almost standard in all 1/2 tons, I have no need to ever leave again!

Uhggg....there's no way in heck I would buy a foreign vehicle. I support my country. I know I'm gonna catch heck for that statement, but that's how I feel. I'm very patriotic. 

And don't tell me they make them, fix them and sell the parts here, because I'll ask you where do the profits ultimately go? If more people buy American, those factories, repair and parts places would still be working. They'd be working on American vehicles. 

I know it's hard to buy completely American these days, and that's ashame. Heck, even Harley uses Showa shocks and a lot of the electronics on our vehicles are foreign made. 

But I try the best I can.

So, beat me up, ban me, try and shame me....whatever...

God bless America! And all of you too!

Edited by poconojoe
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, poconojoe said:

Uhggg....there's no way in heck I would buy a foreign vehicle. I support my country. I know I'm gonna catch heck for that statement, but that's how I feel. I'm very patriotic. 

And don't tell me they make them, fix them and sell the parts here, because I'll ask you where do the profits ultimately go? If more people buy American, those factories, repair and parts places would still be working. They'd be working on American vehicles. 

I know it's hard to buy completely American these days, and that's ashame. Heck, even Harley uses Showa shocks and a lot of the electronics on our vehicles are foreign made. 

But I try the best I can.

So, beat me up, ban me, try and shame me....whatever...

I’ll give you some flack, because it’s just a naive way of thinking that doesn’t understand how business works.

a)cars are low profit margins, most of the money goes into the production

B)you have no idea where the money ends up, how on earth do you know that the ford profits ultimately ends up in the hands of US citizens.

these are all public companies traded on the stock exchange, for all you know, a few japanese billionares are huge shareholders of ford and a few american billionares are huge shareholders of toyota.

And who’s to say any of those billionaires are going to redistribute their own profits into the US economy.

The flow if money is incredibly complex, especially with the worlds largest entities.

Your truck was probably built in mexico too lol

1 hour ago, truckguy82 said:

I’ll give you some flack, because it’s just a naive way of thinking that doesn’t understand how business works.

a)cars are low profit margins, most of the money goes into the production

B)you have no idea where the money ends up, how on earth do you know that the ford profits ultimately ends up in the hands of US citizens.

these are all public companies traded on the stock exchange, for all you know, a few japanese billionares are huge shareholders of ford and a few american billionares are huge shareholders of toyota.

And who’s to say any of those billionaires are going to redistribute their own profits into the US economy.

The flow if money is incredibly complex, especially with the worlds largest entities.

Your truck was probably built in mexico too lol

You're just speculating and my truck was not built in Mexico.

On 6/19/2020 at 7:46 AM, truckguy82 said:

A tundra is more reliable, thats a fact.

When you buy a tundra, you a buying a 15 year old platform with a 15 year old drivetrain. It’s easy to be reliable when you do that.

There is no question every other brand makes a better performing truck for the money in nearly every measurable aspect. To me, reliability is important, but it’s just a metric that I need to weigh. Some people put more weight on reliability than me, and the tundra is the best choice for them.

Very well said about the Tundra. It's one of things that irks me about Toyota fanboys. They tout their reliability yet Toyota has done literally nothing to the motor since it's release. Pretty sure they haven't done anything to the transmission either. It would be akin to GM still using the LM7, LQ4, 4l60e. Yep, reliability is a factor, but driveability, aesthetics, performance, all matter more to me. 

On a different note, Tundras aren't immune to little issues. Troll around on their forums a bit and you'll quickly see that Tundra and Tacoma folks have similar longstanding issues. 

It matters more to me where the product is made more than who or where the owners live. A few of my vehicles recently where foreign (owned). The as built factories are here. Many American owned companies have foreign investors and investments elsewhere. The made in China label is going to disappear from my home. As much as it can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

7 hours ago, lucas287 said:

When you buy a tundra, you a buying a 15 year old platform with a 15 year old drive train. It’s easy to be reliable when you do that.

In 1998 the lowly Honda Civic HX came with an independent four wheel double wishbone suspension, fifth link rear. Other than the lack of a pushrod style lay down shock the same setup used on current Indy cars. The car cost $14K and had a suspension on it that cars costing $250K didn't employ. Even at 106 net hp it was pretty hard for anything to keep up in the tight twisty stuff following that econobox. In 2000 Honda 'upgraded' to the MacPherson strut front. A front end setup that was first seen on the pedestrian Simca Vedette in 1954 ending the reign of one of the best canyon carvers ever built a mortal could get his hands on. 

Toyota not abandoning a motor/platform that works for something cheaper than does not is not a bad thing. Being new doesn't make anything an "upgrade' nor even 'better'. No one has ever 'improved' the edge of a Samurai Katana. It's been around since the 10th century. 

Better and improved is more than just different and really, what anymore is actually different? GDI isn't new. Desmodromic drive isn't new. CVT isn't new. Twin cam, four/five/six valve, supercharged, tubrocharged...forged....not even the precision of built is new. Only the precision of control is. 

Tires are still round and made in the same basic way they have been for decades. Refinement of the old makes a thing better....most of the time. Wheels were invented 3500 BCE. All that has happened since is refinement. 

• Like 2

I know 2 people who bought Toyota's. 1 new 2019. 1 used low mile 2018.

The 2018 was traded in due to the ride. The 19 owner bought for reliability.

Neither impressed me. 

I just won't own a foreign truck. 

:)

11 hours ago, poconojoe said:

Uhggg....there's no way in heck I would buy a foreign vehicle. I support my country.

As others have suggested, you are making a point that is not so cut and dried.  I am a very loyal Canadian and don't feel unpatriotic driving an American vehicle assembled in Mexico.  Workers at my local GM dealership profited from my purchase and their technicians continue to earn a paycheck, in part, by servicing my vehicle.  Last week I bought a TV built in China from Costco.  The person that helped me choose the product, the two at the cash register, the person that checked me at the door and the man who helped me load the TV are my neighbours and all support their families or themselves by such transactions.  I like to buy my fruit and vegetables from local farmers.  However, I don't get upset if I buy the same products imported from California. and hence support truckers, my local grocery store and all the workers that make this possible.  I sing louder on July 1st than July 4th but am also proud to be part of the bigger picture. This year has accentuated the reality that  as countries we don't live in isolation.  There are mutual benefits when we share globally. Considering a Toyota product instead of a GM vehicle is worthy of technical debate but is not a reflection of loyalty to one's country, imo.

1 hour ago, Grumpy Bear said:

In 1998 the lowly Honda Civic HX came with an independent four wheel double wishbone suspension, fifth link rear. Other than the lack of a pushrod style lay down shock the same setup used on current Indy cars. The car cost $14K and had a suspension on it that cars costing $250K didn't employ. Even at 106 net hp it was pretty hard for anything to keep up in the tight twisty stuff following that econobox. In 2000 Honda 'upgraded' to the MacPherson strut front. A front end setup that was first seen on the pedestrian Simca Vedette in 1954 ending the reign of one of the best canyon carvers ever built a mortal could get his hands on. 

Toyota not abandoning a motor/platform that works for something cheaper than does not is not a bad thing. Being new doesn't make anything an "upgrade' nor even 'better'. No one has ever 'improved' the edge of a Samurai Katana. It's been around since the 10th century. 

Better and improved is more than just different and really, what anymore is actually different? GDI isn't new. Desmodromic drive isn't new. CVT isn't new. Twin cam, four/five/six valve, supercharged, tubrocharged...forged....not even the precision of built is new. Only the precision of control is. 

Tires are still round and made in the same basic way they have been for decades. Refinement of the old makes a thing better....most of the time. Wheels were invented 3500 BCE. All that has happened since is refinement. 

Toyota still uses port injection on a motor released in 2007. Their top tier engine has been surpassed in efficiency and power. This would make other motors “higher performing” and “better”

Toyota’s interiors feel old, like 2 generations behind. Most people want to spend time in nicer interiors in the same way most people would want a modern house interior instead of one built in the 90’s or older.

GMC = nicer inside, more efficient, faster, more capable, safer

ford = same

dodge = way way way nicer inside

toyota = more reliable. I can’t think of one single benefit to buying a tundra other than it being more reliable

A katana sword as a comparison? Come on, that’s a single strip of metal being compared to 100’s of moving precision parts, hydraulics, and computers. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Donstar said:

As others have suggested, you are making a point that is not so cut and dried.  I am a very loyal Canadian and don't feel unpatriotic driving an American vehicle assembled in Mexico.  Workers at my local GM dealership profited from my purchase and their technicians continue to earn a paycheck, in part, by servicing my vehicle.  Last week I bought a TV built in China from Costco.  The person that helped me choose the product, the two at the cash register, the person that checked me at the door and the man who helped me load the TV are my neighbours and all support their families or themselves by such transactions.  I like to buy my fruit and vegetables from local farmers.  However, I don't get upset if I buy the same products imported from California. and hence support truckers, my local grocery store and all the workers that make this possible.  I sing louder on July 1st than July 4th but am also proud to be part of the bigger picture. This year has accentuated the reality that  as countries we don't live in isolation.  There are mutual benefits when we share globally. Considering a Toyota product instead of a GM vehicle is worthy of technical debate but is not a reflection of loyalty to one's country, imo.

Yeah that’s another thing

you crash china’s economy, you crash ours. Hell look at the global impact from just Greece!

We are all intertwined now.

In 200 years, as communication as transportation advances, I doubt anyone will even care about their individual countries.

Instead of “go USA!” think “go earth!”

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, lucas287 said:

Very well said about the Tundra. It's one of things that irks me about Toyota fanboys. They tout their reliability yet Toyota has done literally nothing to the motor since it's release. Pretty sure they haven't done anything to the transmission either. It would be akin to GM still using the LM7, LQ4, 4l60e. Yep, reliability is a factor, but driveability, aesthetics, performance, all matter more to me. 

On a different note, Tundras aren't immune to little issues. Troll around on their forums a bit and you'll quickly see that Tundra and Tacoma folks have similar longstanding issues. 

Quoting my own post here. I do have to admit, if GM made a truck that looked as nice as they do inside and out but it still had a LQ4/4L80E/4.30 gears combo - that would be killer. Efficiency be damned. Something about a mild torque oriented LQ4 build with a 4L80 that is simply beautiful. And maybe that's why there are such big Tundra fans out there. 

And to @truckguy82's point - a Tundra interior is miserable. Hell they even look the same exterior wise. I'd probably have a different opinion if they had done a major restyle inside and out but kept their good ole reliable 5.7/6 speed/4.30 gears combo. 

One more thing, I've had the "pleasure" of helping a family friend work on their 2008 Toyota Highlander. 130,000 miles on it and every damn bushing and ball joint was ****** on it. It drove awful. The rack and pinion was leaking too. I was completely unimpressed. That SUV has been a highway queen it's whole life and that's how it's worn. Sounds real reliable to me! In comparison my mom has a 2001 Suburban. Didn't touch a damn thing except fluids until 225,000 miles. Nothing. Zero. Rebuilt the front end and new shocks and 60,000 miles later it's still a top. Same with my 2000 Silverado 1500 that we've also owned since new. It's got 312,000 miles on it and that little LR4 purrs. I swear it's smoother than my L86 at idle. It may seem like GM has gone backwards, but I really don't think that's case.

Edited by lucas287