You can't make this stuff up: 1st "Service" free. SMH Dealers

So I have a 3.0L Diesel and there was a recall.  So, I figured why not get the first service done since Im passing 3,000 miles-even though the angel on my shoulder is saying "DONT DO IT" ...

I drop off to the service guy I always use (he knows to go over my vehicle cuz if something is wrong, I become "that" customer).

So far, so good.  Tell him to go ahead and do the service and change the oil and -by the way- "make sure your guy uses the right oil. It's a diesel"

Calls back in the afternoon- she's all ready to go.  I drop in and start reviewing the work order.  Here's where the fun begins.

Order reads: 6 Quarts of oil (supposed to be 7).

AC/Delco  Dexos 1 5w-30 (supposed to be DexosD 0w-30)

Tell my service writer - dude, your guy put the wrong oil in.  He says,"No, that's what the Colorado diesels use. Same stuff" and goes and grabs a bottle.   I tell him NOPE, I break out the manual, find the part number and he disappears. Me "I told you this was gonna happen. Get me the stuff and I'll do it myself."

15 minutes later.  "Ok, we called GM and you're right. We used the wrong oil. But, we dont have that oil in stock" SMFH. "But we have it at another dealer for you to pick up (10 miles away)."  Gee thanks and this is now 5pm, they close at 6.

So I drive home and park truck, jump in my car and snag the right oil and end up doing it all over myself.  Can I get an UN F****ing believable here?

Do your own oil changes.  Not even the dealer gets it right.  I can only imagine the quick change places. Not to mention, if some other poor bastard didnt read the paperwork and check the numbers, 7500 miles a quart short and wrong oil.

Well, I have their paperwork saved for sure.

I would have left it. ... but, no oil in stock, closed till Monday and Im making a 250 mile trip tomorrow.

I prefer to do it myself. Cant trust the idiots.

Edited by steve841
  • Like 1

Yeah I’ve got that first service free but question if I really want to use them. GM engineers knew something when they called out that oil.

Now if they come back and say these alternative oils can be used then I’d be OK with that. They have to stand behind the warranty after all.

BTW - perhaps they put in a 120PSI oil pressure gauge knowing bubba was going to put on 15W-40 diesel oil? I’m lucky to get 60PSI at high RPM. With a thick oil I’m guessing your close to 100 PSI!

1 hour ago, steve841 said:

(supposed to be DexosD 0w-30)

The 3.0 calls for  Dexos D 0W - 20    I'm with you on having to watch the service techs on using the correct oil/filter. When I scheduled my first oil change I asked if they had the correct oil and filter, service manager assured me they had plenty of 15W-40? I had to inform him that the 3.0 took a different oil and filter than the 6.6, I had to go to another dealer to get the correct oil and filter. So on my next change they owed me the oil,  I bought my own oil just in case they didn't have the correct stuff, said they did, but when I get truck back all the oil change sticker said was Dexos 0w-20 so I went back questioned if they put the correct oil in as the tech was new and only on his third day. The owner of the dealership personally went back and checked the trash for the empty bottles. They had actually used the right stuff. I'm just about ready to start doing my own changes in the future.

• Like 1

I have my first oil change coming up soon....

I have all the supplies and will do it myself.

Most dealers use bulk fill oil and you have no real idea what they are putting in your truck.

I could care less if the first one is free.... I don’t need a free headache.

• Like 1

yeah I just do it myself....I hate going to service dept for anything, takes forever and I don't want to sit  there for couple hours waiting....its a half day lost going there…..anything I can do to my truck makes my life a lot easier

• Like 1

When I just went through financing my new truck, I had the finance manager pull the "You have to use our 24mth free oil and filter warranty for the rest of the warranty to be valid"... "Any DIY will void your manufacturer warranty" [emoji1787]

Righty then, just give me my truck....

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

I feel your pain. I went in for recall and ended up with a dent in my driver door and a filthy passenger seat. They'll be getting a bill for PDR guy. They wanted to fix it and I said NFW you can't even do a software update without F'n up my truck.

Dealers suck. All they're good at is taking your money. On the other hand, the local Ford dealer I use for my Shelby is great.

Might be time to go to a Raptor.

Amazing, even with a literally road map these dealership provide techs today, they cant even follow simple guidelines on what parts to use for a basic service. Now imagine letting these same guys rip apart an engine or interior.

Man that's BS, my dealer has a dedicated diesel shop in the back that are fully stocked with the Dexos D and oil filters.  The first service was nice since they do a tire rotation and add 2.5 gallons of DEF, I'll be continuing to use them in the future (oil change only).

That sucks ! Quite embarrassing for that dealer. There were at least 3 people that repair order traveled through and the last guy has an oil cap that says what oil the truck calls for ?

It is a special oil that has to be special ordered and is kind of hard to get, at least the last time I looked.

Hopefully you got it all resolved though.

• 3 weeks later...

After reading this board and others so i was fully I informed, I dropped my 2020 GMC 3.0 at the dealer for its first service/oil change. I made sure to point out to the service writer several times that i wanted the correct oil as this truck had specific requirements. I even gave him the specific type so they would screw it up - Dexos D 0-20W. He said no problem, they do lots of gmc diesel truck oil changes. I even called him back later that day to double check they were putting the right oil in. Once again- no problem, we’ve got this,etc.  

Ok get notice truck is done and my wife goes to pick it up. Last night when i got home she gave me the paperwork they gave her and guess what—— WRONG OIL....  they put in 6 quarts Delvac 15-40W.  Sigh....

This morning i emailed the general manager very nicely about this and he called me back. He checked and they have the Dexos D 0-20W there and now I’m dropping it off again. 

So lesson for everyone if that hasn’t been repeated enough in this thread and others, check, check and recheck what they are putting in your truck or do it yourself to be sure!!!

PS- thanks for all the knowledge I’m gleaning from all of you...Otherwise I’d be a dumb consumer!