View a Camera located behind my boat trailer on the 8" infotainment screen?

2019 Silverado LD double cab 4x4

I always have to get my wife to tell me when to stop while I back the boat up to the house. I dont want to hit the house! 

So, I thought of this idea of mounting a camera to the back of the boat trailer. But is it possible to display the camera's view on the 8" infotainment screen? Somehow bypass the truck's tailgate camera and switch to a camera at the back of the trailer? 

This is something that GM should employ. Or maybe they already have this and I'm just out of touch?

Is there a way I can do this without freaking out the truck's computer? Basically whenever the 7 pin trailer harness is plugged into the truck, the truck camera is disabled and the trailer camera takes over. 

Maybe it's not worth the trouble. Just keep doing what we have been doing....

https://www.gm-navigation.com/shop/2014-2019-gm-360-camera-towing-system/

Factory option in the T1 trucks.  K2's require an aftermarket solution.  There was some sort of dealer-installed option available when new that gave at least some of this functionality but it wasn't cheap and I don't believe developed by GM.

I bought a oem camera, extended the harness to where the distribution block behind the bumper is. Disconnect tailgate camera and plug in boat camera. I was able to make a switch that allows tailgate camera to stay plugged in, when u hook up boat camera flip switch to turn off tailgate and allow boat to work. Thats what i use for my travel trailer. Only thing i didnt do was draw up the diagram, stupid me. Been working gd for 2 yrs

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cmysstailights said:

I bought a oem camera, extended the harness to where the distribution block behind the bumper is. Disconnect tailgate camera and plug in boat camera. I was able to make a switch that allows tailgate camera to stay plugged in, when u hook up boat camera flip switch to turn off tailgate and allow boat to work. Thats what i use for my travel trailer. Only thing i didnt do was draw up the diagram, stupid me. Been working gd for 2 yrs

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Was going to suggest just that!!

• Like 1

This is a "easy" fix.   You can buy the OEM camera from any GM parts supply company.   Connect it to the back of your trailer and run it along the existing trailer wiring.   The plug (BUS) for the camera is up under the bumper and VERY easy to find.   Plug and play.   If you are not technical you could go to any aftermarket radio shop and tell them your need and explain you want the OEM camerawomen as it will dimply on your stock radio.   They will have the know how.    

9 hours ago, Rukus said:

Thanks for the link. My truck is listed there, so the kit will work, but for $374 I'll just let my wife tell me when to stop!

• Like 1

Another option - buy something like THIS: http://www.ebay.com/itm/233628394318

Ditch the trash mirror display and wire the camera end into the trailer tailgate with the transmitter and wire the receiver end into your stock system with a simple switch. Depending on the strength of the transmitter you may be able to do the switch/receiver wiring within the vehicle as to avoid water damage.

The stock camera's in our K2's are just simple composite so any aftermarket composite camera should work no problem. I've hooked a satellite box into my camera line as a proof of concept to test it working. 

If this is something some of you might be interested in I'd be happy to test it out as a proof of concept. I know myself or @pgamboa would easily be able to make a camera/switch adapter harness which would almost make something like this plug n play for around $100 all said and done. 

• Like 1

th3magpi3. I would be interested if I can get it to work with the camera I bought to do an add on to my 2004 Suburban. It's an aftermarket camera system which had its own screen. I think you said that the GM camera uses the composite conectors like used on TV or radios (older) using RCA cable... I think am I correct in my assumption? 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/402274207357

I'm thinking about something like this for the front of my lifted truck. It's kind of hard to judge how close you are to something. I think I'm right up against like a parking curb and I get out and look I'm 4 ft away still.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk