6.2L Borla S-Type Cat-Back -vs- True Dual Cat-Back ?

On 8/19/2020 at 11:04 AM, Greg Lalumiere said:

So I finally opened up the box and after reading the instructions I decided not to do the install myself, it's at the shop now being installed.  The part that scared me from doing it myself was the precision cuts that need to be done on the factory Y pipe.  The new pipes connect behind the cats at very curvy bends, it has to be cut perfectly as there is only a very limited amount of round pipe where you end up clamping the new pipes behind the cats.  Not something I wanted to try laying on my back under the truck. Even high on the lift the shop isn't convinced that clamping on that limited amount of round pipe will be enough to seal well, they might end up mig welding those connections. I'll follow up after they finish.

I also got a look inside the dual-in dual-out single muffler, I was real curious if it was dual straight throughs just sharing a case. Turns out it's not really straight through, the inlet starts as dual straight through but then opens up some in the middle with a port connecting the duals together making a shared single expansion chamber, then the chamber narrows out and goes back to dual straight through outlets.  So the muffler makes a 2-1-2 style exhaust, like a mini X-pipe inside the muffler. That's good from a power perspective, can't comment on the sound... yet.  

More to come.   

Whats the outcome with the sound? When I started my build I needed something fast so I cut out the resonators and swapped out the muffler for a Flowmaster 40. Not too bad but I do get some drone and if I want to do another 4 hour long drive in the truck the drone does have a tenancy to get annoying...

First a bit of an update on the install, above I said there were some precision cuts that needed to be made it turns out after mocking up the exhaust the cuts were not bad at all, they are pretty simple cuts 2 1/2 inches behind each cat.  The install was very straight forward and went together using standard clamps and factory hangers.  It came out straight and strong with no leaks or surprises. 

As for the sound, the tone is actually identical to the Cat-back S-Type clips you find on You Tube, I was kinda surprised how familiar it sounded when I started her up the first time.  However I was surprised at how loud the system is,  I'm not sure if it's just the true dual or if You Tube videos just can't really give you a good representation of volume of the standard S-Type system.  So I'll have to wait until I can do a comparison of another truck that has the Borla standard S-Type cat-back before I can comment on the difference of the two.  

At idle it has a fairly loud purr, really nice note, under load it turns into a growl with the lightest bit of throttle and barks with anything more than feathering the peddle when accelerating.  The neighbors won't hate it unless you are a heavy peddle driver.  Soccer moms will roll their eyes even when accelerating as tamely as possible.  Once at cruising speed it goes back to a purr, I haven't done any long highway rides but I don't expect any drone.  If you don't want to draw attention to yourself then stick to the GMPE/Borla Touring set up.  This set up will easily drown out a stock Mustang 5.0 exhaust, even the guys at the shop said... "It's Loud!".  From inside the cab with the windows up and the AC and radio on it's a bit louder than I expected during acceleration.

I was really torn between the touring and S-Type, but I was afraid to spend the $$$ on the touring and be disappointed, did I make the right choice for my daily driver?... the jury is still out, I need to put some more miles on before I can answer that but I am having fun putting those miles on. I suspect I made the right choice, I guess I'm still more of a show-off motor head than I thought I was.

Here is a real quick clip of the idle, I'll try to do a full video soon and update this thread.

Edited by Greg Lalumiere
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, Greg Lalumiere said:

First a bit of an update on the install, above I said there were some precision cuts that needed to be made it turns out after mocking up the exhaust the cuts were not bad at all, they are pretty simple cuts 2 1/2 inches behind each cat.  The install was very straight forward and went together using standard clamps and factory hangers.  It came out straight and strong with no leaks or surprises. 

As for the sound, the tone is actually identical to the Cat-back S-Type clips you find on You Tube, I was kinda surprised how familiar it sounded when I started her up the first time.  However I was surprised at how loud the system is,  I'm not sure if it's just the true dual or if You Tube videos just can't really give you a good representation of volume of the standard S-Type system.  So I'll have to wait until I can do a comparison of another truck that has the Borla standard S-Type cat-back before I can comment on the difference of the two.  

At idle it has a fairly loud purr, really nice note, under load it turns into a growl with the lightest bit of throttle and barks with anything more than feathering the peddle when accelerating.  The neighbors won't hate it unless you are a heavy peddle driver.  Soccer moms will roll their eyes even when accelerating as tamely as possible.  Once at cruising speed it goes back to a purr, I haven't done any long highway rides but I don't expect any drone.  If you don't want to draw attention to yourself then stick to the GMPE/Borla Touring set up.  This set up will easily drown out a stock Mustang 5.0 exhaust, even the guys at the shop said... "It's Loud!".  From inside the cab with the windows up and the AC and radio on it's a bit louder than I expected during acceleration.

I was really torn between the touring and S-Type, but I was afraid to spend the $$$ on the touring and be disappointed, did I make the right choice for my daily driver?... the jury is still out, I need to put some more miles on before I can answer that but I am having fun putting those miles on... I suspect I made the right choice, I guessing I'm still more of a show-off motor head than I thought I was.

Here is a real quick clip of the idle, I'll try to do a full video soon and update this thread.

I think it sounds great. I got my Corsa on last night and I am really enjoying the drive-ability of these trucks. They are more responsive now without the flappers. I think you hit a home run. Congrats and enjoy. Nice looking truck.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Greg Lalumiere said:

I was really torn between the touring and S-Type, but I was afraid to spend the $$$ on the touring and be disappointed, did I make the right choice for my daily driver?... the jury is still out, I need to put some more miles on before I can answer that but I am having fun putting those miles on. I suspect I made the right choice, I guess I'm still more of a show-off motor head than I thought I was.

That sounds really good! I'm only 36 so I still have a lot of motor head left in me!!! HAHAHA

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Any updates on your thoughts with this system?  What are you experiencing at highway speeds, any drone, louder in the cabin than expected, etc?  I am most intrigued by this system and wanting to go with the S-type over the GM option, but I do frequently make trips to our lake house (about 3.5 hours each way) and I don't want it to be obnoxious on longer road trips.

• 3 weeks later...

Same here in regards to the wife losing her mind?.  I had the Toyota version of the performance exhaust on my last 5.7 tundra, and it just wasn't quite aggressive enough for me.  After listening to YouTube videos, it sounds like the Touring is a little louder than what my Tundra exhaust was, but something deep down is telling me to go with the S-type true duals?.  I just don't want it to be too loud and obnoxious on long trips.  At some point, I guess I need to pull the trigger and accept it

After owning the Touring system (GMPE) for just over a month, and a long 600 mile road trip with it, I think it’s the perfect balance in tone and noise. When the RPMs go above 2200, it sounds fantastic. It really growls deeply. But when you’re off the gas, you almost can’t even hear it. 

I’m not 50 but I’m not 30, so this is a great fit for me. Comes to life on the accelerator but is really nice for road trips. 

This is my first exhaust system, FYI. I can definitely see how someone who is more of a performance exhaust junkie would feel the Touring is too tame. 

• Like 2

On 9/23/2020 at 12:48 PM, JWOutdoors29 said:

Any updates on your thoughts with this system?  What are you experiencing at highway speeds, any drone, louder in the cabin than expected, etc?  I am most intrigued by this system and wanting to go with the S-type over the GM option, but I do frequently make trips to our lake house (about 3.5 hours each way) and I don't want it to be obnoxious on longer road trips.

I LOVE this system and so glad I didn't chose a the touring or regular S-Type.  On a cold start it barks pretty damn loud that it always takes me by surprise, but going down the road it has much more of a engineered tone than just a loud truck.  It's loud but It definitely quiets down at cruising speed and wakes back up on acceleration.  The Denali cab is so quiet originally that with the widows closed I couldn't hear the truck running or shifting gears.  Now I definitely hear it for sure but it's just short of obnoxious and at highway speeds there is zero drone.  I still haven't done a video but I will, I am really hoping to also make one showing the difference between the regular Cat Back S-Type compared to the True Dual Cat Back S-Type.   The "true dual" S-Type is a $100 + more and the installation is a bit more involved as you have to cut the Y pipe right behind both cats.  As long as you cut in the correct place shown in the instructions the system clamps on tight right behind the cats  but I did add some weld just to be sure.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Greg Lalumiere said:

I LOVE this system and so glad I didn't chose a the touring or regular S-Type.  On a cold start it barks pretty damn loud that it always takes me by surprise, but going down the road it has much more of a engineered tone than just a loud truck.  It's loud but It definitely quiets down at cruising speed and wakes back up on acceleration.  The Denali cab is so quiet originally that with the widows closed I couldn't hear the truck running or shifting gears.  Now I definitely hear it for sure but it's just short of obnoxious and at highway speeds there is zero drone.  I still haven't done a video but I will, I am really hoping to also make one showing the difference between the regular Cat Back S-Type compared to the True Dual Cat Back S-Type.   The "true dual" S-Type is a $100 + more and the installation is a bit more involved as you have to cut the Y pipe right behind both cats.  As long as you cut in the correct place shown in the instructions the system clamps on tight right behind the cats  but I did add some weld just to be sure.

This is exactly what I wanted to hear.  Now just debating if I do the quad tips or run it with the factory valence.  I wish they had the squared off quad tips in black, but oh well.  Thanks for the feedback.  I think you just made my decision for me.

2 hours ago, JWOutdoors29 said:

This is exactly what I wanted to hear.  Now just debating if I do the quad tips or run it with the factory valence.  I wish they had the squared off quad tips in black, but oh well.  Thanks for the feedback.  I think you just made my decision for me.

I have the squared off quad tips...

IMG_2442.jpg

38 minutes ago, Greg Lalumiere said:

I have the squared off quad tips...

IMG_2442.jpg

Yes, and I really like the looks of those, I would just prefer to have them in black for my truck and what I'm trying to do with it.  They offer a black tip in the round, just not the squared.  I think I may powder coat my valances satin black and save a couple hundred bucks on the exhaust. 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 10/15/2020 at 6:01 AM, Greg Lalumiere said:

This is an old post but your review is why I ordered this CB today.  If you have that video, I’d like to hear it!