Warranty up. What next?

Passed 60k over the weekend. Thinking of ordering an MPVI2 through HP tuners and tinkering around. Mainly to shut off AFM, adjust fan logic, tire size, etc. Then eventually do some logs and get it tuned (local/remote). I don't necessarily trust my self adjusting more than that without seeing some examples, base tunes, etc. The logic on these ECMs seems way more complicated than standard LS stuff. Has anyone done these things in HPT and care to help? Is it worth logging with a wideband for a (at the moment) lower thermostat, intake, exhaust only setup? I look forward to eventually getting the TCM unlocked and smoothing the 8 speed out. 3ae8b7591549e6b261912bd28e9cff13.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

To lower the turn on temps for the fan is what he means.

A wideband isn't needed if you didn't change any major parts. The intake and exhaust are mods but the intake is still the same diameter as stock so the airflow across the MAF didn't change, it's just a different design is all.

• Like 1

Warranty up. What next?

BOOM!

Nuclear Nuclearbomb GIF - Nuclear Nuclearbomb Explosion GIFs

Kidding. Of all the 'normal' things a guy can do I am on board with a lower thermostat.

If the eight speed has a ATF thermostat a delete is right there with it.

https://store.katechengines.com/174-degree-gen-5-lt-thermostat-p729.aspx

• Like 1

Warranty up. What next?

BOOM!

tenor.gif?itemid=8095072

Kidding. Of all the 'normal' things a guy can do I am on board with a lower thermostat.

If the eight speed has a ATF thermostat a delete is right there with it.

https://store.katechengines.com/174-degree-gen-5-lt-thermostat-p729.aspx

Yes adjust fan settings/logic to compliment the katech 174 tstat. My 8 speed has always seemed to run cooler than other people's, but I wouldn't be opposed to removing the trans tstat/flipping the pill

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, tyler.frost92 said:

Yes adjust fan settings/logic to compliment the katech 174 tstat. My 8 speed has always seemed to run cooler than other people's, but I wouldn't be opposed to removing the trans tstat/flipping the pill

I've been running a Reisch Racing 170 F for a awhile now with the pill flipped and have not, as of yet, lowered the fans. Now I don't do much city driving but I did get caught on I-39 late one night in 100 F weather to less than a crawl over a car burning in the road. Except for that night I'd never seen my fans on or my ATF over 200 F since the changes. Normally it runs around 160 F on 90 to 100 degree days climbing to the mid 170's as I pass through towns and interchanges. Dead cruise on a 75 F day is 145 F. Even Micky D's on a hot day for 20 minutes will not get over 180 F. 

1 hour ago, CamGTP said:

To lower the turn on temps for the fan is what he means.

A wideband isn't needed if you didn't change any major parts. The intake and exhaust are mods but the intake is still the same diameter as stock so the airflow across the MAF didn't change, it's just a different design is all.

I figured as much....more curious why?

What is he experiencing that he sees a need to adjust the fan strategy, that was the point of my question.

High ECT temps low vehicle speed, city?

High ECT temps under heavy load at freeway speeds?

These trucks run unnecessarily hot. Personally I don't like seeing 220 for extended periods while towing. It's also easy to hit 230 doing 2wd runs at the sand dunes. Thin oil and hot temps from the factory help these things look good on paper.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, tyler.frost92 said:

These trucks run unnecessarily hot. Personally I don't like seeing 220 for extended periods while towing. It's also easy to hit 230 doing 2wd runs at the sand dunes. Thin oil and hot temps from the factory help these things look good on paper.

And that's why I was asking for the OPs experiences...

I live in AZ. Our Tahoe sees nothing but 210 all day, every day. Occassionally beyond that....and that's not towing, one person in the vehicle.

Edited by 14burrito

And that's why I was asking for the OPs experiences...

I live in AZ. Our Tahoe sees nothing but 210 all day, every day. Occassionally beyond that....and that's not towing, one person in the vehicle.

Hence, why I want to adjust fan settings. Even with a lower tstat they come on way too late because of the stock fan calibration and Target ECT. Only way I run close to my 174 tstat is sub 80 degree ambient temps and minimal stop and go.

2 hours ago, tyler.frost92 said:

Hence, why I want to adjust fan settings. Even with a lower tstat they come on way too late because of the stock fan calibration and Target ECT. Only way I run close to my 174 tstat is sub 80 degree ambient temps and minimal stop and go.

I know mine is a 6 cylinder but I can stay under 177 F at 105 F ambient unless, like I said earlier I'm dead in the water in some wreck scenarios. That is when I could use some fan work. 

• 1 month later...