Hey all..i have what is probably a dumb question. 

I have a 2020 trailboss..and im wondering if I can install the bilstein 5100 shocks to just level it out and if so what do I set them to before installing to get the desired leveled height ?

1" or 2" ?

Any info will be appreciated..thanks in advance

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I have just posted about fitting Bilstein's to my 2019 Elevation as part of a two inch lift project.  The 5100 for the front are ride height adjustable.   With my two lift I installed the AT4/Trailboss shocks.  The fronts have three height height options. I went with the middle slot. The Bilstein's are a huge improvement over the Rancho's.

I have added the installation instructions for the front shocks so you can see the three height adjustment options.  The max is 1.1 inches of additional height

Bilstein shocks for AT4.pdf

What if you had used the 1.1” setting with no 2 “ leveling kit.  Would that not have leveled the truck.   1.1” on 5100’s for trail boss/AT4 should be just over 3” on a non trail boss/AT4 truck.  I’m interested in know because that is what I want to do.   I have an LTZ with 2” rough country struts and 1” rear blocks.  The front has settled and the truck is not level now. In need another 1” to level.  Also don’t you need new UCA when over 3” lift?

19 hours ago, Daniel Riley said:

What if you had used the 1.1” setting with no 2 “ leveling kit.  Would that not have leveled the truck.   1.1” on 5100’s for trail boss/AT4 should be just over 3” on a non trail boss/AT4 truck.  I’m interested in know because that is what I want to do.   I have an LTZ with 2” rough country struts and 1” rear blocks.  The front has settled and the truck is not level now. In need another 1” to level.  Also don’t you need new UCA when over 3” lift?I have an AT4 and just installed the 5100’s all around with them set at stock height upfront. I also installed the ReadyLift 1.75” kit since any additional height on TB/AT4 requires new UCA. The ride is awesome, the look is perfectly level as I have 1/4”-1/2” of rake now. The catch is I don’t like my CV angles now and almost want a little rake so not nose high when hauling. Looking at pulling the RL spacers off and maybe just adjusting the front shock to .6 or 1.1 as those are only settings on 5100. I would keep the UCA to correct the ball joint angle. CV on our trucks is very delicate and you lose auto 4wd with just about anything over 1” more I think. 

I have an AT4 and just installed the 5100’s all around with them set at stock height upfront. I also installed the ReadyLift 1.75” kit since any additional height on TB/AT4 requires new UCA. The ride is awesome, the look is perfectly level as I have 1/4”-1/2” of rake now. The catch is I don’t like my CV angles now and almost want a little rake so not nose high when hauling. Looking at pulling the RL spacers off and maybe just adjusting the front shock to .6 or 1.1 as those are only settings on 5100. I would keep the UCA to correct the ball joint angle. CV on our trucks is very delicate and you lose auto 4wd with just about anything over 1” more I think. 

On 2/25/2021 at 7:07 AM, harleydavidson19 said:

I have an AT4 and just installed the 5100’s all around with them set at stock height upfront. I also installed the ReadyLift 1.75” kit since any additional height on TB/AT4 requires new UCA. The ride is awesome, the look is perfectly level as I have 1/4”-1/2” of rake now. The catch is I don’t like my CV angles now and almost want a little rake so not nose high when hauling. Looking at pulling the RL spacers off and maybe just adjusting the front shock to .6 or 1.1 as those are only settings on 5100. I would keep the UCA to correct the ball joint angle. CV on our trucks is very delicate and you lose auto 4wd with just about anything over 1” more I think. 

1) per Bilstein... Don't use a spacer kit and the 5100's.   I tried anyway and mistake.   Angles are off with the strut and wear quick.   I removed spacer and the ride was much better.,

2) get Air Lift helper bags on the rear.   No more sag!   Cheap fix.   $400.   I tow ALL the time.   Love it.   AND NO MORE BODY ROLL when not hauling.

7 hours ago, Rukus said:

1) per Bilstein... Don't use a spacer kit and the 5100's.   I tried anyway and mistake.   Angles are off with the strut and wear quick.   I removed spacer and the ride was much better.,

2) get Air Lift helper bags on the rear.   No more sag!   Cheap fix.   $400.   I tow ALL the time.   Love it.   AND NO MORE BODY ROLL when not hauling.

Exactly what Bilstein told me too. I will be pulling the spacers this week and already have my Readylift kit sold.  I will be doing zone UCA’s with the shocks set to the 1.1” setting most likely. Worst case will set it at .6” setting and save some rake. Had a 2” difference front to rear so setting them at top setting I think will be perfect and won’t be as bad on cv axle I hope. Zone, Camburg, Cognito all have UCA that work with stock to leveled AT4.  If I would have seen the Cognito ones the day I ordered. The Zone ones I might have gone that route but the zone is already on its way. Both were the same price.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/28/2021 at 7:21 AM, harleydavidson19 said:

Exactly what Bilstein told me too. I will be pulling the spacers this week and already have my Readylift kit sold.  I will be doing zone UCA’s with the shocks set to the 1.1” setting most likely. Worst case will set it at .6” setting and save some rake. Had a 2” difference front to rear so setting them at top setting I think will be perfect and won’t be as bad on cv axle I hope. Zone, Camburg, Cognito all have UCA that work with stock to leveled AT4.  If I would have seen the Cognito ones the day I ordered. The Zone ones I might have gone that route but the zone is already on its way. Both were the same price.

Any update on the bilsteins and new UCAs? I’ve been wanting to level my AT4 but was thinking about doing the bilsteins at 1.1 inch and 285/65/20. With what I understand it won’t give it a completely level look but is safer then other level kits. Any info on yours greatly appreciated! 

thanks! 

57 minutes ago, lapoolboy said:

I ran the Bilstein 6112 kit set at the 1.2" mark and my truck was level.  I didn't put a tape on it, but it certainly passed the eyeball test.

Did you put on bigger tires with no issues? 

Thanks for the reply!