TL;DR = don’t count on your d(st)ealer flashing the ECM for free if you install the GM CAI yourself. 

I ordered a GM CAI from ShopChevyParts.com a couple weeks ago, installed it last week by myself. Very easy. It cost me $475 after taxes & shipping. The GM part was $625 + tax + $217 installed. 

In the installation instructions from GM, there's clear instruction to take the truck to the GM dealer and have them flash the ECM after installation. Basically, it helps the truck computer adjust to the new, increased air flow. That's it. No "tune" or any other performance adjustment. They have a code in there for the dealer to charge labor, etc. 

Well, I took mine to the local dealer after I installed it. Here's what went down: 

1. These guys are one of the largest Chevy dealers in America. It's a huge operation. They do truck mods, etc. as well. 
  2. The service rep had no clue what I was telling him about when I brought it in to get the ECM flashed. It was like I was speaking French to him. 
  3. After talking with Parts, who sells these things, and then showing him the limited paperwork I had from GM, he finally sent it to the tech, who was able to get it done. 
  4. Got to the cashier and saw they charged me $145 for labor. 

Huh?! 

I showed the service rep the print out from the GM instructions with clear language that "a reprogram is included in this cost of this kit". 

Service rep was confused. I watch him punch some stuff into his computer, then I see him navigate to - GOOGLE. ??‍♂️ After a few minutes of confusion, he basically tells me that installation is $217, and included in THAT is the cost for the re-flash. So I actually "saved" some money by only paying $145 for the labor. 

Anyway... whatever. I went to Parts and they told me the same thing, but in a slightly different way. 

Bottom line is... buyer beware if you buy the GM CAI. I know the Rotofab CAI does NOT need a flash. And truth is, I probably did not NEED one for my GM CAI, either. 

But if you buy the kit and install it yourself, be prepared for some stubbornness from your dealer. OR you might have a reasonable local dealer who will just do this for you for free. 

Just my $0.02 warning on this. Or should I say $145 warning. ??‍♂️ 

(BTW, I love the CAI on the truck. No complaints there. But if I had known it would be another $145 on top of the $475 I paid, I likely would have bought the Rotofab vs. the GM.) 

Edited by econometrics

That is a complete joke. They didn’t even install it and charged you for it?  I would have just kept harping on them or spoke to the stores general manager. I would have never let them stick me for $145.  You are too nice of a guy. The directions clearly state you DO NOT HAVE TO PAY FOR REFLASH!!  Unreal. 
I’m glad I paid $350 for my S&B CAI after hearing your nightmare. 

1 hour ago, TNTSilverado said:

That is a complete joke. They didn’t even install it and charged you for it?  I would have just kept harping on them or spoke to the stores general manager. I would have never let them stick me for $145.  You are too nice of a guy. The directions clearly state you DO NOT HAVE TO PAY FOR REFLASH!!  Unreal. 
I’m glad I paid $350 for my S&B CAI after hearing your nightmare. 

Yeah, after trying to sort it out with a 2nd person in Parts, I gave up. Instead of wasting my time arguing it up the ladder, I'm just going to take my biz to a different dealer 20 min away - which I should have done a while ago when this dealership failed to correct a previous warranty issue on my truck. 

2 minutes ago, econometrics said:

Yeah, after trying to sort it out with a 2nd person in Parts, I gave up. Instead of wasting my time arguing it up the ladder, I'm just going to take my biz to a different dealer 20 min away - which I should have done a while ago when this dealership failed to correct a previous warranty issue on my truck. 

Ya. Sucks man. Stealerships p!$$ me off. It’s hard to find a good one. And when you do, they are usually farther away then a person would like. Anyways, I’d call GM personally and give them your 2 cents. You as a consumer shouldn’t   have to deal with nonsense like that. Unacceptable 

1 minute ago, TNTSilverado said:

Ya. Sucks man. Stealerships p!$$ me off. It’s hard to find a good one. And when you do, they are usually farther away then a person would like. Anyways, I’d call GM personally and give them your 2 cents. You as a consumer shouldn’t   have to deal with nonsense like that. Unacceptable 

I *am* going to do that, yes. 

And it's true... the good ones are always far away. ??‍♂️ 

21 hours ago, kpanza said:

You need to get Gm Customer Service involved...the kit clearly states that the reflash is included with the kit from GM.  Get your money back!

Already went through similar issue with my ride. Contacted GM customer service and got a real nice lady on the line. The conversation took awhile. End results where all dealers are privately owned. Had the CAI filter been purchased through a GM accessories dealer GM could make them cover these cost. Mine too purchased from shopchevyparts.com which is GM parts wholesaler. The dealerships in my town charged $60.00 and they installed filter also. They said what was paid for in price of filter was tech line charges for programming updates fee specifically for your  VIN #/program

• Like 1

5 hours ago, turborenegade said:

Already went through similar issue with my ride. Contacted GM customer service and got a real nice lady on the line. The conversation took awhile. End results where all dealers are privately owned. Had the CAI filter been purchased through a GM accessories dealer GM could make them cover these cost. Mine too purchased from shopchevyparts.com which is GM parts wholesaler. The dealerships in my town charged $60.00 and they installed filter also. They said what was paid for in price of filter was tech line charges for programming updates fee specifically for your  VIN #/program

Thanks for the report back on this. I assumed a call to GM customer service would be a waste of time since they couldn’t force my dealer to refund me. Good to know my assumption was accurate. 

I’m choosing to look at this as this dealer robbed $145 from me, but lost a LOT more than that in future biz with me being done with them now. 

On 9/9/2020 at 1:41 PM, econometrics said:

TL;DR = don’t count on your d(st)ealer flashing the ECM for free if you install the GM CAI yourself. 

I ordered a GM CAI from ShopChevyParts.com a couple weeks ago, installed it last week by myself. Very easy. It cost me $475 after taxes & shipping. The GM part was $625 + tax + $217 installed. 

In the installation instructions from GM, there's clear instruction to take the truck to the GM dealer and have them flash the ECM after installation. Basically, it helps the truck computer adjust to the new, increased air flow. That's it. No "tune" or any other performance adjustment. They have a code in there for the dealer to charge labor, etc. 

Well, I took mine to the local dealer after I installed it. Here's what went down: 

1. These guys are one of the largest Chevy dealers in America. It's a huge operation. They do truck mods, etc. as well. 
  2. The service rep had no clue what I was telling him about when I brought it in to get the ECM flashed. It was like I was speaking French to him. 
  3. After talking with Parts, who sells these things, and then showing him the limited paperwork I had from GM, he finally sent it to the tech, who was able to get it done. 
  4. Got to the cashier and saw they charged me $145 for labor. 

Huh?! 

I showed the service rep the print out from the GM instructions with clear language that "a reprogram is included in this cost of this kit". 

Service rep was confused. I watch him punch some stuff into his computer, then I see him navigate to - GOOGLE. ??‍♂️ After a few minutes of confusion, he basically tells me that installation is $217, and included in THAT is the cost for the re-flash. So I actually "saved" some money by only paying $145 for the labor. 

Anyway... whatever. I went to Parts and they told me the same thing, but in a slightly different way. 

Bottom line is... buyer beware if you buy the GM CAI. I know the Rotofab CAI does NOT need a flash. And truth is, I probably did not NEED one for my GM CAI, either. 

But if you buy the kit and install it yourself, be prepared for some stubbornness from your dealer. OR you might have a reasonable local dealer who will just do this for you for free. 

Just my $0.02 warning on this. Or should I say $145 warning. ??‍♂️ 

(BTW, I love the CAI on the truck. No complaints there. But if I had known it would be another $145 on top of the $475 I paid, I likely would have bought the Rotofab vs. the GM.) 

The dealer got nothing from GM for your "reflash". Had you bought from your dealer, the dealer cost would have included the flash that your paperwork says was included. You bought wholesale, which means the wholesaler discounted the kit to not include the fees for the flash that the dealer has to collect and pay to GM for the techline charges. C'mon now, do you work for free? Now, you can argue the fee charged was excessive, and maybe the dealer should have advised you before hand what the cost would be....

• Like 2

9 hours ago, polarys425 said:

The dealer got nothing from GM for your "reflash". Had you bought from your dealer, the dealer cost would have included the flash that your paperwork says was included. You bought wholesale, which means the wholesaler discounted the kit to not include the fees for the flash that the dealer has to collect and pay to GM for the techline charges. C'mon now, do you work for free? Now, you can argue the fee charged was excessive, and maybe the dealer should have advised you before hand what the cost would be....

?! In the kit instructions, there’s a code for the dealer to charge labor to. Why do you think GM includes that? 

I bought my GMPE online and pre-paid the installation. What did my dealer get for that? I paid everything myself. 

In this case, the flash is clearly included in the price of the PART, not installation. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, econometrics said:

?! In the kit instructions, there’s a code for the dealer to charge labor to. Why do you think GM includes that? 

I bought my GMPE online and pre-paid the installation. What did my dealer get for that? I paid everything myself. 

In this case, the flash is clearly included in the price of the PART, not installation. 

I agree. It says clearly that an authorization code is included in the kit. I would GM involved to get that $145 back. At least as an accessories credit or something.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, econometrics said:

And retail for the part is $625. You paid $475. $625 would include the flash. That $217 would be physically installing it. That code is intended for the retail price, if you had bought from your local dealer. You cut out your local dealer by buying from another that does internet sales at a cut rate price.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, polarys425 said:

And retail for the part is $625. You paid $475. $625 would include the flash. That $217 would be physically installing it. That code is intended for the retail price, if you had bought from your local dealer. You cut out your local dealer by buying from another that does internet sales at a cut rate price.

I bought my part from a Chevy dealer who sells them discounted nationwide. Anyone under the sun can order parts from any GM dealer and ask them to be installed by a different GM dealer without expecting to be charged some “recoup” fee. You’re making no sense. 

Go read the instructions yourself on Chevy’s website. 

Actually, I’ll save you the time: 

E29B23A0-2E78-4A52-AC85-3A403D16805A.thumb.jpeg.e792db2f4644d72104a7ae35177e1a75.jpeg

You’re reading a lot into what is not clearly stated here if you think it matters from WHERE you buy the OEM part, or how much you pay for it. 

• Like 1