K2XX comparison to Gmt800?

I see a lot of comparing the different generations and the feeling I get is that the GMT800s seem to be the standard of which the newer generations are compared to in terms of reliability and build quality. So even though the 800s are close to 20 years old, how do you think they stack up to the k2xx generations? Do you think they'll have a similar longevity and reliability? 

I think the biggest issue with the newer ones is the afm and direct injection. My 04 has almost 180k on it with no major engine or trans issues and my 15 with 70k already had a lifter collapse and 2 injector failures. I prefer the suspension and brakes of the newer trucks, but I'm still leary of all the new technology they put in them.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

The engine/transmission stuff in 10 more years will be a curious thing on the K2XX trucks. The suspension and body stuff should stand the test of time, aside from the cheaper thin paint on the K2XX trucks. All the normal wear parts on the newer trucks is just as easy to replace and not that hurtful to the wallet.

• Like 1

In my opinion, the 98 to 02 was the peak of engine design.  They had all fuel injection and computer control needed to make them extremely reliable and run great without going to far overboard.  The begining of the slippery slope down the over complication road came in 03 with throttle by wire.  That is the one thing that allowed all the subsequent computer interference with performance.  You no longer tell the thing what to do, you now ask it.

I have both, a 2000 and a 2018 and still drive both every week.  The 18 does get a few mpg better, and is a bit more comfortable, but the 2000 is more fun to drive.

• Like 1

History has a nice way of dealing with this phenomenon.  In the 60's my father bragged about his 40's cars.  In the 80's my kids were told many stories about my 60's trucks etc. etc.  I really liked my '00 Silverado and drove it for 9 years. In 20 years we'll be looking back fondly at our simple, gas burning, solidly built K2XX's!  I am choosing to enjoy my '15 for as long as I can because I know I will start to miss it the day after I sell!

• Like 1

The bare bones workhorses from the early 90's to mid 2000's are some of the best trucks ever made.I have owned my fair share of them and our current trucks dont hold a candle to those in terms of durability.These trucks have gotten too large and there use of  aluminum, electronic modules, and mechanical complexity to meet EPA standards is just too high for the average joe to maintain 25 years from now

Edited by WHITESSTOWPIG
  • Like 1

I think that the trucks made from 99-06 were the most reliable. I had an 06 Silverado ext cab z71 5.3. There are some things I do miss and liked better than my 15 Sierra. 06 was last year with no AFM and no traction control. Those are the 2 biggest things I miss. I had that truck almost 10 years and only thing I did to it was oil changes and front pads. The guy I sold it to is still driving it to this day and he has only replaced a brake line. I sure hope my 15 can hold up that good. Only time will tell. I have had my 15 a little over 5 years and other then a set of tires at 64,000 miles that all I have done.

I have a 05 4.8 WT rwd sc/sb and a 18 5.3 LT rwd dc/sb. Hard to compare 100% but what I enjoy specifically on my 05 over my 18 is simplicity and availability to easily add factory options. I've added steering wheel controls - a wheel out of a escalade,  an auto dimming rear mirror with temp and compass IDK a Yukon?  - factory style and functioning fog lights (factory button and works as designed from factory), I Frankenstein'd 2 jump steats (bottom from 07-13 and top from 14-18) to replace the non folding jump seat, wired in some outside heated mirror with turn signal, I had an 05 impala which someone hit and run in my parking lot which totaled it - that car had an aftermarket touch screen radio which fit perfectly into the 05 Silverado since it had all the wiring done already and now has a backup camera too, probably a few other thing's I'm forgetting as well. The 2005 started out as a barebones WT with only a 4.8 and a manual sliding rear window.

To me it depends on the use of the truck. If you want a work truck, the GMT800s are simple tried and true engines and transmissions. Much less to go wrong on them and when it does it's usually a cheaper fix vs the K2XX. If you are on the road a lot (towing or long commute) and like more bells and whistles then the higher trim models for K2XX offer a better ride, mileage, and creature comforts (depending on what you like). But with advanced tech, etc. can come more problems as we've seen with the K2XX. Speaking from experience I've had more issues with my K2XX than any other vehicle, but GM has covered the bill every time...even outside of my warranty (that's mainly due to having an amazing service dept near me). I've always been a used car purchaser, but a lot of vehicles (including these trucks) are so advanced now it's pushing you to buy new or CPO so you don't get stuck with insane repair bills outside of warranty. We're getting further away from the simple DIY days and being forced to have dealers or certified shops perform repairs. Pros and cons to each, just depends what you want and how you'll use it.

GMT800s were very competitive for their era, but vehicles just get better with time. The biggest improvement by far was rack-and-pinion steering. The old recirculating ball setup was past its prime and annoying to keep tracking straight on the highway. Many GMT800s as well used the 4L60 trans, which really didn't like towing and was a known weak point. Interiors too were a major change. IMO K2s have the nicest interior GM ever put into a truck. The GMT800 interiors were about what you'd expect for a domestic truck from that era, but man, the pre-2003s were pretty spartan. Basically a carryover from the GMT400s. I've never seen a GMT800 in the last 10 years without rips in the leather. 

Taken in context, the 800s were good competitive trucks for their time, as are/were the K2s.

4 hours ago, Mike GMC said:

My 2000 Sierra has perfect leather seats.  I hope I can say the same for my 18 Silverado when it has 250,000 miles on it.

I think you will....the 800's were robust indeed!  Well maintained K2's are a cut above!  Except for the thin Sheetmetal and water based crap paint.