Gearing on a '20 AT4

If only there was a site you could go to and look up all the detailed specifications of a vehicle based on drive, engine and all other combinations...

https://www.gmc.com/trucks/previous-year/sierra/1500/sle-elevation-slt/build-and-price/config/compare/capabilities/table?bodyTypeOne=1&driveTypeOne=4WD&engineOne=L84&section=Trailering+and+Payload&section=Axle+Capacity&section=Powertrain

In case you don't go to the link they list it as 3.23 for the 3.0, 5.3 and 6.2

Tyler

Edited by amxguy1970
  • Like 2

On 10/1/2020 at 3:19 PM, f8l vnm said:

Just 2 options. Everyone gets 3:23 unless you have max tow which gets 3:42. Disappointing GM does not give the consumer the option of more options. 

Dont blame GM, blame Obama and the CAFE standards.

Having said that I dont think you would be able to keep the ass end planted with much more gearing with the 6.2.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Don't get hung up on the gear ratio. Think about it as a complete system. First these truck might have smaller gear ratio but more gears in the transmission. You really have to look at this as complete system. Now if you modified your truck by putting larger wheels and want to compensate for that you can buy an aftermarket 4.10 for less than 300 dollars. I know you need to replace both front and a back and possibly installation. But I am sure its cheaper than wheels and lift.

I was upset to learn my 19 Silverado churned less ponies than my 5.0 13 F-150 with 3.55 rear axle but after driving my Silverado for a while I was surprised how livelier and better when towing. After looking online I found out that my Silverado deliver more to the wheels than my F-150 and in the end that is all what matter what are you getting at the wheel.

Good luck!

Edited by Moend
fixed my fat fingers typos
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, Moend said:

Don't get hung up in the gear ratio. Think about jt as a complete system. First these truck might have smaler gear ratio but more gears in the transmission. You really have to look at this as complete system. Now if you modified your truck by putting largsr wheels and want to compensate for that hou can buy an after market 4.10 for less than 300 dollars. I know you need to replace both front and a back and possibly installation. But I am sure its cheaper than wheels and lift.

I was upset to learn my 19 silverado churned less ponys than my 5.0  13 F-150 with 3.55 rear axle but after driving my Silverado for a while I was surpried how livelier and better when towing. After looking online I found out that my Silverado deliver more to the wheels than my F-150 and in the end that is all what matter what are you getting at the wheel.

Good luck!

Last time I had a ratio swap done (2005) it was $1400 on a 4X4.  Probably every bit of 2K now, if you can even do it and get all the computer-controlled systems to jive.  

9 hours ago, bshort said:

Last time I had a ratio swap done (2005) it was $1400 on a 4X4.  Probably every bit of 2K now, if you can even do it and get all the computer-controlled systems to jive.  

yeah $300 is just the gears for the back diff, then you have probably another 300 for the front, installation, and reprogramming, after all said and done I can see it being $1500-$2000

On 10/4/2020 at 1:31 PM, RaisedByWolves said:

Dont blame GM, blame Obama and the CAFE standards.

Having said that I dont think you would be able to keep the ass end planted with much more gearing with the 6.2.

So...Ford and Dodge and Toyota and Nissan don't have this same Obama standard apply to them ?

Cause they offer more gearing. 

Now granted the Ford is only 1 with 10 speed but they offer 3.13. 3.31 3.55 3.73

All I'm saying is that it would be nice to have options besides 3.23 which 95% of GM trucks will get . 

Same argument I have with only giving us a 24 Gallon fuel tank , when most others offer a large and small . 

These are options people will pay for . 

Edited by f8l vnm
  • Like 1

On 10/4/2020 at 1:44 PM, lt1z said:

There is a 3.73 available with the diesel off road package but don’t believe it is available in AT4 trim

I think this is wrong, I could be wrong but pretty sure you either get  3.23 or 3.42 on all models