I have a 1997 GMC 1/2 ton 2 wh dr Sierra ext cab with a 5.7L engine, bad automatic transmission.  Will that engine fit and work in a 1995 1 ton 4x4 with a bad 6.5 diesel engine, 5 speed transmission, 1 ton truck. Kind of in a hurry for the info. Trying not to lose this 95 truck if it works.

20200902_155811.jpg

20201001_162706.jpg

Edited by Starrjon
Add transmission info

It would fit but you are going to be spending a ton of time and extra money making all the electrical parts work and making the 5.7 mate up to the 5 speed manual.

Fixing the diesel or finding another would probably be easier.

Your major problem is going to be the ignition system. Diesels don't have one nor do their computers have data for running one. I'm not sure about TBI electrical cables etc for running all of the TBI peripherals but I'm betting they won't be in the one ton.

You would have to swap the engine, fuse block, wiring and computer from the Vortec 5.7 into the other truck.

There could be problems with the 5.7 having a automatic calibration file in it and no neutral safety switch anymore. Plus the anti theft system might get tripped. If you knew someone with a GM flashing tool and they could find a 5.7 manual file to flash into the computer that would be ideal. Never looked much more into it than this.