Hey y'all, I know this has been talked about a bunch but I just for some reason can't find the info I'm after. I have a 2000 Chevy Silverado 1500, with the 5.3 and 4l60e, its a non z71 but with the same gear ratio I believe. Now I have a couple questions. 1. I want to swap to a 6.0 (maybe with some mods like a small cam, headers, maybe an intake), the 5.3 in the truck has been rebuilt but was used as a work truck and is "tired" so to say. I know a lot of people have said that to make the simplest "plug-and-play" setup to grab a 6.0 from 04-06(07 classic?) and it will run on the stock 5.3 tune (but recommend getting it retuned) I know that you can use the stock 4l60e but put some money into it to make it be able to hold the power and torque of a 6.0. I also know that to swap to a 4l80e trans it would require a crossmember and wiring at least, along with a different driveshaft, and since its 4x4, possible a different transfer case? So answering my own question with confirmation from someone, I could use a 04-06(07 classic?) 6.0 and just do a slight build on the stock 4l60e (which is currently slipping hoping just torque converter)? So on to my next question, I want to swap a z71 axle under the truck rather than the stock open diff. Would it be easier to swap out just the diff or to swap the whole axle? Is there any wiring for the limited slip/locking diff in the z71 axle? And is there a difference in the front diff? Also the truck currently is on 33" tires, and I plan to go to 35"s so should I just wait and have the truck regeared with an aftermarket limited slip or locker? And one final question for the interior guys out there. I hate the 99-02 steering wheel. I wanna swap to a 03-06 steering wheel. I know that the airbag itself will fit if I grab it off a 03-04 HD truck because its single stage, but what about the splines on the steering shaft? are those the same as the 99-02 1500 trucks? Or do I still have to swap that out for a newer steering shaft? Also how bad is it to run heated leather seats in these trucks that didn't have them from factory? I'm doing a mini restobuild on the truck but still need it to be a daily driver. Thanks for any input guys!!!

Any year 6.0 from 1999-2007(classic) will fit. The majority of engines you want is from 2001+ because they won't have iron cylinder heads. It needs a tune no matter what. If you add mods then it needs larger injectors plus the tune of course.

You can swap the whole axle if the gear ratio is the same. Or just swap in a limited slip diff and call it good. If you are going to 35's you'll need/want 4.10's or 4.56's for sure.

6 minutes ago, CamGTP said:

Any year 6.0 from 1999-2007(classic) will fit. The majority of engines you want is from 2001+ because they won't have iron cylinder heads. It needs a tune no matter what. If you add mods then it needs larger injectors plus the tune of course.

You can swap the whole axle if the gear ratio is the same. Or just swap in a limited slip diff and call it good. If you are going to 35's you'll need/want 4.10's or 4.56's for sure.

Ok, I had heard that 04+ would be better because of the aluminum heads and shorter crank snout to clear the oem radiator? And ok so it would be better to just wait and save up the money to swap the gear ratio and add a limited slip rather than just swap a whole axle right now? Thanks for the input